Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hardware choices: which way to go

reeks1

One of the Regulars
So, I'm leaning towards a Half Belt at the moment and need to begin filling in the details.

I'm going brown FQHH and was thinking antique brass. Fits the style of the jacket and is low-key. But it occurred to me that "normal" brass would patina over time and end up looking "antique" at some point, I assume. True?

So, which way to go? I like the idea of breaking in the entire jacket, leather and hardware, so I'd go brass. However, if brass hardware doesn't patina over time, go"antique"?

Thanks for putting up with my inane posts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The brass can be rather bright and I suspect it might take longer to 'antique' the hardware than it would to break the jacket in. But it's horses for courses, both will look good.

Foster

One of the Regulars
The normal brass is likely (I do not know for certain, this is based on observations of other hardware) some sort of lacquered or clear-coated finish brass. In that case, it doesn't age at all, except where the finish is worn off.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
I think the antique hardware will look great with the brown FQHH--I have it on my cordovan HWM and love it....I have the shiny brass on a russet goatskin 30s H-B and I think it works well with the lighter colour....but as Sloan says - either way it will look good.

hipcheck

New in Town
Now I am confused. When I ordered my Thunderbay I originally ordered it with antique then I was talked out of it saying it would look better if it aged naturally which now I am thinking may take a very long time. I have the opportunity to change the order to the antique. Any input gents?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My latest seal goatskin Pioneer is antique brass and is great but think you might be trying to pole vault over a mouse turd. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you haven't had the email confirming your details and informing you that your jacket was going to be made, you should be okay to change your order. That said, I think the TB could look pretty cool with the normal brass, it's a jacket with a lot character.

IXL

One Too Many
My latest seal goatskin Pioneer is antique brass and is great but think you might be trying to pole vault over a mouse turd. [huh]

I'll never understand Texas sports.....

Oh, and as for the brass, I will go the "natural brass" route on my J106.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, I like antique brass with brown and cordovan, but shiny brass with black (especially on a motorcycle style jacket).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think what I was trying to say is that I give great latitude to the manufacturer to determine which zipper coordinates best. As long as the jacket fits and is well made, I am not all that particular between shiny and antique brass as long as everything works properly. All goes back to my mindset of being a surgeon.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I had shiny brass on an Aero which had zipped pockets... it was a bit eye popping at first but in about a season of wear the bling factor calmed down. It shouldn't be a major concern either way but it does ilustrate a principal which is worth remembering: don't just order based on what you think will look good this year, next year or indeed in five years. the jacket will last beyond that and it's appearance will develop in that time.

Stand By

One Too Many
I had an Aero zip fitted to my ANJ-3 and that was in Antique Brass - and I wasn't a fan as it is a very subdued finish and I felt that it disappeared into the jacket somewhat - so, being outfitted with dental supplies here at work and being used to these sorts of things with model making and my work, I gave the zip a very light polish using a dry soft bristle brush at low speed in a hand-piece (think high-end Dremel) and it highlighted the prominent surfaces on the puller and the teeth in the zip - so it now has a fantastic finish which is a blend of the two (namely antiqued in the deeper recesses and polished on the prominent surfaces). And the Aero zip action is buttery smooth, runs beautifully and looks the part.

Now of course, that won't necessarily help you as I don't expect you or others here to have the same facilities that I do to replicate what I did - but my point is that I found the antique finish to be a bit too flat (to my eye), and as a result, it blended in too much and was less of a feature - and if I had to opt for one finish, I'd go for regular brass and let it age naturally with handling and the elements.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
So I THOUGHT I had my mind made up. lol. If the "natural" brass does age/patina over time, I'd prefer that route, as I usually don't like anything that's artificially distressed or aged. I like the point about "what it will be like in 5 years", etc.
But I'll probably change my mind a few more times.....
Thanks again for your input!

If the natural brass has no clear coat, it will age fine. if it does, remove it. I'm not a fan of the aged stuff either. I also like nickel hardware a lot, so I'm likely in the minority here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy