Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero has a new leather called Pinnacle

geedee

Familiar Face
@Hide'n'seek I’m placing my order for a Pinnacle cognac Seven with Carrie on Monday (once she gets the sample). I was going to go Unfinished but once I saw the Pinnacle I had to call the audible. Probably doing a cream colored contrast stitch. Really looking forward to this one!
Sounds great - I'd love to see it. We should post pics when the jackets are done!

Mark

Practically Family
I placed an order for a Royale in Pinnacle Cognac couple weeks ago. They contacted me to confirm couple of points before they go into production! Confused me a bit because Holly said they would not be getting any Pinnacle in for2-3 months. Regardless, always exciting, the anticipation and wait!

geedee

Familiar Face
I placed an order for a Royale in Pinnacle Cognac couple weeks ago. They contacted me to confirm couple of points before they go into production! Confused me a bit because Holly said they would not be getting any Pinnacle in for2-3 months. Regardless, always exciting, the anticipation and wait!
The Royale is a good style - quite unusual in that inter-war leisurewear vibe. It should look great in the Pinnacle Cognac, looking forward to seeing the pics!

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
The Pinnacle isn't due in from Horween for another few weeks. We do however like to have orders finalised and production ready in advance, that way when leather does arrive we are ready to go rather than then having to chase up final specs etc....
Prodcution won't actually start ( can't start) for another few weeks

geedee

Familiar Face
The Pinnacle isn't due in from Horween for another few weeks. We do however like to have orders finalised and production ready in advance, that way when leather does arrive we are ready to go rather than then having to chase up final specs etc....
Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to receiving mine!

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Hide & Seek. Appreciate the clarification.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can someone who has got samples (or @Hide'n'seek if he has the time) inform about what tone the brown Pinnacle is?

Is it similar to CXL's brown? I have been wanting to get a jacket for a family member in Pinnacle for ages and now we're in the same place so I can take measurements.

Mark

Practically Family
Can someone who has got samples (or @Hide'n'seek if he has the time) inform about what tone the brown Pinnacle is?

Is it similar to CXL's brown? I have been wanting to get a jacket for a family member in Pinnacle for ages and now we're in the same place so I can take measurements.
Doubt there is much in the way of samples around. I am assuming that they had some Pinnacle in order to make that Aeromarine but maybe just enough for the one sample jacket. It will be a few weeks yet before Aero get any from Horwean. I have my order in, the leather looks very nice and my favorite shade of brown/tan.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars

The closest of our current leathers to compare the tone and colour of the brown Pinnacle is actually our battered steerhide. This comparison however is from 3 pieces about 3" x 3" that I was given by Horween as a "sample" . We only recieved enough Pinnacle Cognac to make a single jacket but we really loved everything about it, the colour , feel, drape all feels great. From just that one jacket our first batch is already spoken for. We will need to place a second order but I'm holding of until we revieve our first delivery which is due to ship this week. This first delivery will be Cognac and Black. The brown is going to be in July as the person who developed the finish is on holiday.
As a brief back ground the Pinnacle was developed by a Ukranian couple who Horween took on last year, they had a tannery background back in Ukraine and Horween gave them the opportunity to work with some horse. They have done a great job.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The closest of our current leathers to compare the tone and colour of the brown Pinnacle is actually our battered steerhide. This comparison however is from 3 pieces about 3" x 3" that I was given by Horween as a "sample" . We only recieved enough Pinnacle Cognac to make a single jacket but we really loved everything about it, the colour , feel, drape all feels great. From just that one jacket our first batch is already spoken for. We will need to place a second order but I'm holding of until we revieve our first delivery which is due to ship this week. This first delivery will be Cognac and Black. The brown is going to be in July as the person who developed the finish is on holiday.
As a brief back ground the Pinnacle was developed by a Ukranian couple who Horween took on last year, they had a tannery background back in Ukraine and Horween gave them the opportunity to work with some horse. They have done a great job.

That's really amazing. And July is perfectly fine, as the family member I want to gift it to won't really be able to wear it until autumn anyway!

Do you mind if I email you some questions? I don't think I've got your email.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! I’ll let you know if I get any updates.
I think I ordered it about the same time as you did, right when the leather came out. I just checked mine is in finishing. But my order is quite stock only widen shoulder so any of the machinist could do it. If you have more customized jacket it might go into Julie's custom jacket queue and that may have a different lead time depending on her workload. It's too hot for jackets now but still fun wearing them indoor with the fan on...

Image2.jpg

BisonT4R

New in Town
I think I ordered it about the same time as you did, right when the leather came out. I just checked mine is in finishing. But my order is quite stock only widen shoulder so any of the machinist could do it. If you have more customized jacket it might go into Julie's custom jacket queue and that may have a different lead time depending on her workload. It's too hot for jackets now but still fun wearing them indoor with the fan on...

View attachment 528520
I’m absolutely going to wear mine around in AC with shirts on.

Yeah, I think we ordered at the same time. Given this is my first Aero, how would I go about checking status? Also, does Julie do the more custom work?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m absolutely going to wear mine around in AC with shirts on.

Yeah, I think we ordered at the same time. Given this is my first Aero, how would I go about checking status? Also, does Julie do the more custom work?
Haha. Summer is the perfect time to break in the fall jacket. Except I think the Pinnacle might be my first Aero that doesn't need any break in. We will see...

If you ordered from Aero directly you can just log into your account and check on the production status. If you ordered it through a retailer like Thurston just give them a call I am sure they have some sort of business to business tracking thing in place.

Image3.jpg

Julie is the most experienced machinist at Aero, so most custom jackets are done by her. I think most Thurston custom jackets I've seen have her name on the tag. Most of my rare Aero models like Rockefella and Speedway are done by her too. The more basic jackets like the highwayman and half belts are done by the specialized machinist for those specific patterns. They must be busy with the sale, but our jackets were placed before that so we should be getting them soon. The first Pinnacle order from Horween arrive not long ago now they just cut them and make them into jackets. I'm really looking forward to this new hide.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just in...

Horween Pinnacle Cognac Horsehide

IMG_8128.JPG
IMG_8130.JPG

IMG_8129.JPG

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
IMG_8134.JPG

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
IMG_8204.JPG

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
IMG_8175.JPG

No wax means no stiffness. Won't stand like CXL
IMG_8133.JPG

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.
IMG_8216.JPG

I love all Horween products, this one included. So I am very biased.
My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

No sound, no squeak, this leather.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Great first review, been dying to hear about this leather. I know the 'Aero fit' neck issue some of us experience is tied to pattern, not material, but I'll be curious to hear if you find this softer leather makes it any easier to wear than your FQSH.

BisonT4R

New in Town
Just in...

View attachment 530663 View attachment 530664
View attachment 530665

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
View attachment 530666

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
View attachment 530668

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
View attachment 530669

View attachment 530670

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.
View attachment 530671

My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.I’m
Just in...

View attachment 530663 View attachment 530664
View attachment 530665

View attachment 530666

View attachment 530668

View attachment 530669

View attachment 530670

View attachment 530671

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.
@Canuck Panda Thanks a bunch for the write up. I’m in the June batch with my Seven. It’s pretty customized so I’m expecting mid August. The thickness and drape is exactly what I’m hoping for given I want this to be my light weight jacket (also why I went with the sateen). Looking forward to your in depth comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner