Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero has a new leather called Pinnacle

trainspotter

A-List Customer
View attachment 530670

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.
Looks great, congratulations !

The way you describe the characteristics, it looks quite similar(even in appearance) to the brown pony shinki Greg used to offer back in the days. A great option for folks looking at avoiding the heavier Horween horsehides.

geedee

Familiar Face
Just in...

Horween Pinnacle Cognac Horsehide

View attachment 530663 View attachment 530664
View attachment 530665

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
View attachment 530666

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
View attachment 530668

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
View attachment 530669

No wax means no stiffness. Won't stand like CXL
View attachment 530670

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.
View attachment 530671

I love all Horween products, this one included. So I am very biased.
My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

No sound, no squeak, this leather.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.
Thanks @canuckpanda for making the time to give us your first impressions on what looks like quite a different leather to what Aero are usually associated with, I'm really look forward to reading your full comparison review! I've got a premier 1930's HB on order, I'm already getting excited about it!
Can I ask - the leather in your pics looks slightly darker than Aero's shots of the prototype jacket (below); is it a shade darker in reality or is it just the camera?
1688715932097.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@geedee
I'd say it depends sooooo much on the camera and lighting. In his post I can see at least 3-4 shades, last one (outside, fit pic) being quite close to the one you just posted.
Also "I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample."

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks great, congratulations !

The way you describe the characteristics, it looks quite similar(even in appearance) to the brown pony shinki Greg used to offer back in the days. A great option for folks looking at avoiding the heavier Horween horsehides.
It is very similar to the Shinki pony / oil tan / WP. I didn't want to say it because this current batch is a bit thinner, not fashion thin but thinner than most CXL, and the Shinki pony was one step thicker, about 1.3mm. I can't wait till they get some thicker ones in this tannage, all hell break loose... Huge potential in the thicker Pinnacle, especially in the brown shades. The Pinnacle looks to be brown core, so it will both fade and patina where as the Shinki is struck through so it will only patina no fade. The oil hand feel and awesome drape is very much the same.

Thanks @canuckpanda for making the time to give us your first impressions on what looks like quite a different leather to what Aero are usually associated with, I'm really look forward to reading your full comparison review! I've got a premier 1930's HB on order, I'm already getting excited about it!
Can I ask - the leather in your pics looks slightly darker than Aero's shots of the prototype jacket (below); is it a shade darker in reality or is it just the camera?
View attachment 530755
It looks to be different shades of brown for sure. The first sample looks like it's more orange / tan with some yellow. The first batch I have is slighter darker / richer with slightly more red added. The first sample looks to me like they tried to imitate the age honey color of aged natural CXL. The first batch Pinnacle looks like its somewhere between the natural CXL and the brown CXL. Russet Badalassi is its closest color on the brown scale.

Mid browns are very difficult to get right, and I think Horween did a fantastic job. Nothing flat or plain about it.

Here is another compare pic, brown CXSH on the bottom and the cognac Pinnacle on the top. The lighting isn't ideal but you can see how much lighter shades the brown the Pinnacle is compared to the normal CXL brown. Grain popping through the aniline finish already! (tap on photo to see close ups)

IMG_8333.JPG

geedee

Familiar Face
It is very similar to the Shinki pony / oil tan / WP. I didn't want to say it because this current batch is a bit thinner, not fashion thin but thinner than most CXL, and the Shinki pony was one step thicker, about 1.3mm. I can't wait till they get some thicker ones in this tannage, all hell break loose... Huge potential in the thicker Pinnacle, especially in the brown shades. The Pinnacle looks to be brown core, so it will both fade and patina where as the Shinki is struck through so it will only patina no fade. The oil hand feel and awesome drape is very much the same.

It looks to be different shades of brown for sure. The first sample looks like it's more orange / tan with some yellow. The first batch I have is slighter darker / richer with slightly more red added. The first sample looks to me like they tried to imitate the age honey color of aged natural CXL. The first batch Pinnacle looks like its somewhere between the natural CXL and the brown CXL. Russet Badalassi is its closest color on the brown scale.

Mid browns are very difficult to get right, and I think Horween did a fantastic job. Nothing flat or plain about it.

Here is another compare pic, brown CXSH on the bottom and the cognac Pinnacle on the top. The lighting isn't ideal but you can see how much lighter shades the brown the Pinnacle is compared to the normal CXL brown. Grain popping through the aniline finish already! (tap on photo to see close ups)

View attachment 530901
Looks amazing!

LukeST

New in Town
Just in...

Horween Pinnacle Cognac Horsehide

View attachment 530663 View attachment 530664
View attachment 530665

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
View attachment 530666

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
View attachment 530668

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
View attachment 530669

No wax means no stiffness. Won't stand like CXL
View attachment 530670

View attachment 530671

I love all Horween products, this one included. So I am very biased.
My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

No sound, no squeak, this leather.

Very nice - looks like beautiful stuff.

Thanks for the extended right up.. Am I right in saying there was a cognac pinnacle and a brown (and a black)?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Very nice - looks like beautiful stuff.

Thanks for the extended right up.. Am I right in saying there was a cognac pinnacle and a brown (and a black)?
There are three colours as far as I know, black, brown and cognac. The first Horween delivery only had the black and cognac, not the brown. I’ve read somewhere here that they’re getting another Horween shipment this summer that should include the brown Pinnacle, not sure on exact dates.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are three colours as far as I know, black, brown and cognac. The first Horween delivery only had the black and cognac, not the brown. I’ve read somewhere here that they’re getting another Horween shipment this summer that should include the brown Pinnacle, not sure on exact dates.

The brown is sort of a seal brown; I have a jacket coming up in it.

Mark

Practically Family
The Cognac is not really Cognac as in the first sample Aero got from which they made an Aeromarine. The first batch proper Aero received is more reddish brown, still beautiful though.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This isn't Pinnacle, this was another sample of a calf leather we tried.

This is the French calf, right? I was ready to buy that jacket, if not for it being a little too long for me and the lack of epaulettes/belt–the leather was just that beautiful.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Uuuggghhh, it's been unseasonably cold here lately and I decided to bite the bullet and wear my CXL HH jacket to dinner, there is just no replacement for HH graining, and the scent of Horween. I would easily trade teacore for something that wears much more comfortably, but for the most part no such thing exists, and my wallet and I remained content. Now this.

Mark

Practically Family
Recieved my new Royale Pinnacle on Friday. More russet than Cognac I would say. Cannot really add much more than has already been said. by Canuck Panda in his excellent review. I am very pleased with it, easy to wear and already developing some nice creases. I went with Aero's wild card lining option.
Here are some pics'.....

Attachments

• DSCF0941.JPG
    DSCF0941.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0942.JPG
    DSCF0942.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 215
  • DSCF0943.JPG
    DSCF0943.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 249
  • DSCF0948.JPG
    DSCF0948.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 258
  • DSCF0950 (2).JPG
    DSCF0950 (2).JPG
    584.9 KB · Views: 251

BisonT4R

New in Town
Recieved my new Royale Pinnacle on Friday. More russet than Cognac I would say. Cannot really add much more than has already been said. by Canuck Panda in his excellent review. I am very pleased with it, easy to wear and already developing some nice creases. I went with Aero's wild card lining option.
Here are some pics'.....
Well played, sir. This is a great looking jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner