Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero has a new leather called Pinnacle

Mark

Practically Family
Perfect leather for the Royal. This is the first time I've seen the Royal in the Wild. Congrats.

Looking through my insp photo folder and found this one. Aged natural CXL or faded brown CXL? Very close to the cognac we're chasing? Especially the darker bits.

View attachment 532297
Thank You. That Thunder Bay is a beauty and my favourite colour for a jacket.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Perfect leather for the Royal. This is the first time I've seen the Royal in the Wild. Congrats.

Looking through my insp photo folder and found this one. Aged natural CXL or faded brown CXL? Very close to the cognac we're chasing? Especially the darker bits.

View attachment 532297
Nicely Broken in Brown Chrxl. Probably from around mid 90's . We only started using Natural Chrlx about 6 years ago

Commisar

New in Town
Just in...

Horween Pinnacle Cognac Horsehide

View attachment 530663 View attachment 530664
View attachment 530665

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
View attachment 530666

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
View attachment 530668

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
View attachment 530669

No wax means no stiffness. Won't stand like CXL
View attachment 530670

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.
View attachment 530671

I love all Horween products, this one included. So I am very biased.
My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

No sound, no squeak, this leather.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.
Oh no.... You've just made my leather selection WAY TOO HARD

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Oh no.... You've just made my leather selection WAY TOO HARD
Maybe get some samples of the interested leathers. Not so much for the grain or color or thickenss, but the feel in the hands. Squeeze them for a bit and you'll know the one you want by hand feel. Most of the Aero medium weight leathers have thicker ones in the batch and most of their heavy weight ones have thinner hides in the batch. For thick or thin just ask for them, they're usually quite accommodating. If the whole batch is on the thick side or thin side they'll let you know too.

Commisar

New in Town
Maybe get some samples of the interested leathers. Not so much for the grain or color or thickenss, but the feel in the hands. Squeeze them for a bit and you'll know the one you want by hand feel. Most of the Aero medium weight leathers have thicker ones in the batch and most of their heavy weight ones have thinner hides in the batch. For thick or thin just ask for them, they're usually quite accommodating. If the whole batch is on the thick side or thin side they'll let you know too.
Very true.

At this point it's between brown Pinnacle and Russet or Seal Goatskin.

Pinnacle seems to be coming in at 1.1-1.3mm thick.

The outer leather is my last decision point. Already know the pattern, lining and sleeve lining.

Commisar

New in Town
Just in...

View attachment 530665

It is almost the same color as the Russet Badalassi, just a hair darker and the horsehide grain is obvious tighter than the cowhide:
View attachment 530666

I would say the thickness is on the lighter side, 2.25oz, some where around 1.1mm give or take 0.1mm. I was told this first batch came in lighter (in thickness weight) and also the color is a bit different than the first sample.
The collar has two layers of leather, total 2.21mm so I figure it's around the 1.1mm thickness.
View attachment 530668

The top coat is something oil based not wax based. Feels "wet" to the hand and makes the leather feel more robust than it is. It also repels water. Water will make a bead before finding the lowest point to seep through.
View attachment 530669

View attachment 530670

Drapes like cloth. Sleeve rolls formed while taking fit pics. The oil helps to crease fast.
View attachment 530671

My personal preference is still broken in CXL FQHH because I am biased. While the Pinnacle is aniline (see through) finish looks like the CXL, it doesn't have the CXL pull up. Some CXL also develops the mottling effect, we will see if this Pinnacle can do that down the road.

I am very surprised Aero went with this tannage. Usually their leather offering is on the stiffer side and this Pinnacle is the very opposite of that. Too soon to say anything in depth. Will also do an in depth compare of my two Highwaymans, regular in CXSH vs this premier cut one in Pinnacle.
Does it have the CXL effect of showing a lighter natural leather color if scratched or is it dyed through?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does it have the CXL effect of showing a lighter natural leather color if scratched or is it dyed through?
My Cognac Pinnacle has the brown core. But it could be because it is Cognac. We need a sample of the black Pinnacle to find out if it is actually "teacore".
The Pinnacle is an oily hide it hides the scratches very well. The CXL like finish is the aniline finish, that can seem like different colors under different lighting. There is at least two or maybe three sprays of dye to achieve this shimmering chameleon finishing. This is really Horween's strongest advantage, makes all the other leather look flat in comparison. The down side is that they also don't seem to be able to control the color range as well, with the first Cognac turning out more russet than congnac. Still, the depth of color is king. As long as the whole jacket is made from the same batch of finishing I think it's great. Will only be a pain to try to match leathers from two different batches.

Commisar

New in Town
My Cognac Pinnacle has the brown core. But it could be because it is Cognac. We need a sample of the black Pinnacle to find out if it is actually "teacore".
The Pinnacle is an oily hide it hides the scratches very well. The CXL like finish is the aniline finish, that can seem like different colors under different lighting. There is at least two or maybe three sprays of dye to achieve this shimmering chameleon finishing. This is really Horween's strongest advantage, makes all the other leather look flat in comparison. The down side is that they also don't seem to be able to control the color range as well, with the first Cognac turning out more russet than congnac. Still, the depth of color is king. As long as the whole jacket is made from the same batch of finishing I think it's great. Will only be a pain to try to match leathers from two different batches.
Very cool. Well I'm only after the brown and Horween knows how to make a lovely brown. I'm trying to get on the phone with a Horween product manager soon and interrogate hom about the leather.

Al 916

One Too Many
Just in...

View attachment 530665

View attachment 530666

View attachment 530668

View attachment 530669

View attachment 530670

View attachment 530671

The depth of that colour comes through beautifully even in these shots, it must be terrific in the real.

Robson

Familiar Face
Pinnacle August jacket
20230827_121425.jpg
20230827_121610.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It does looks redder in photos. But in person is less red. Really is just russet with reddish undertones. But I look at my photos and I also see red.
The cherry CXL also looks pink in photos but in person it just looks like a lighter and yellower color 8/cordovan. In person my color 8 / cordovan has a blue tint too that doesn't show up in pictures.
The midnight blue is the craziest though. So many colors in that one, in pictures or in person. Green, grey, blue, black...etc.
Horween color sorcery...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It does looks redder in photos. But in person is less red. Really is just russet with reddish undertones. But I look at my photos and I also see red.
The cherry CXL also looks pink in photos but in person it just looks like a lighter and yellower color 8/cordovan. In person my color 8 / cordovan has a blue tint too that doesn't show up in pictures.
The midnight blue is the craziest though. So many colors in that one, in pictures or in person. Green, grey, blue, black...etc.
Horween color sorcery...
Digital camera sensors are usually especially sensitive to red, leading to it appearing more vibrant/saturated than in real life.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Digital camera sensors are usually especially sensitive to red, leading to it appearing more vibrant/saturated than in real life.
Thanks, that's what I figured. The Camera.

Anyone got the second shipment of the Pinnacle yet? Mainly the seal brown and the black?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Super duper delayed!

New ship date from Horween is sept 20th. I wouldn't count on it.
That's what I figured.

Aero seems to like to order their Horween FQHH 3-3.5oz. But all the recent Horween FQHH I've see being pushed around on the retail market are thinner, 2.5oz ish. My Pinnacle jacket is in the thinner hide and I wish it was thicker. And I think that's where the delay is from.

What jacket design did you go with for the Pinnacle leather?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner