Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jacket contrasting stitching question

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
I'm with others who have said not to over think it. Black or OB are equally good options IMHO. I would be surprised if you even noticed it after a month.

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all your feedback everyone. I've decided to go with black this time around. From what I've witnessed on this forum, it's impossible to own only one Aero, and I'll probably be planning for another in a couple seasons, and I'll probably go with an OD stitch then.

BTW, do any of you have opinions on the lining? I'm thinking brown alpaca. But some have written that their alpaca lining is itchy. This is mainly going to be a cool/cold weather coat.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks,

I bought an Aero Ridley from Thurston Bros and am waiting for the fit jacket to arrive. The fit jacket for the Ridley is actually the Board Racer. I'm going with Black CXL FQHH and I need to decide if I want to specify contrasting stitching. Do any of you have opinions on this? And possibly photos of your jackets with or without contrasting stitching? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a big investment for me and I want to make sure I am informed about all the options. Thank you!
I like stitching to blend in as much as possible, not stand out. I also find two-tone jackets to be gaudy as well.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Just thought of something today...anyone know how the Olive stitching holds up colorwise over time? I was looking at a one year old pair of shoes I have that has (or had) olive stitching. The stitching is now just a funky brown color. Presumably from the rain and dirt and cleaner and weatherproofing etc etc. A jacket won't take as much punishment as a pair of shoes, but wondering if the dark green stitching on our Aeros will remain the same color after several years. It could be the thread used on my shoes is of a lower quality than what Aero is using on their jackets

Peacoat

Bartender
BTW, do any of you have opinions on the lining? I'm thinking brown alpaca. But some have written that their alpaca lining is itchy. This is mainly going to be a cool/cold weather coat.

My brown Alpaca isn't at all itchy to me. It is probably 6 or 7 years old by now. Never been itchy, but then it doesn't touch my bare skin.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
cotton fades, it can be bleached by the sun too. probably the area around the shoulder and upper back would be a shade lighter if you like to sit outside or riding bike, or living in a place with harsh tropical sun, black thread sometime fades into brown, however OD thread imo won't fade into brown like a rusty WW2 jeep , they just turns lighter, unless you applied conditioner that has some brown color in it

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
OK, I'm wrong :)
dust and grime and oil, would probably change every faded color into brown, unless you wash it.

Stand By

One Too Many
Although I don't know the Aero jacket in question, I can say that I understand your caution about the contrast stitching; I had the same hesitation when I first looked at a RW ELC B-3 - the russet hide type and it had olive drab (OD) stitching, and it gave me serious pause to wonder how that OD thread would look against a a red-tone leather and if it would look garish with them being uncomplimentary colours.
And I went for it and can say that it looks fantastic and I needn't have worried so much. As Dan_T says, it's more subtle than a colour wheel would have you otherwise believe - and over the 10 years I've had it, the thread has really faded out to a nice deep straw colour. At Duxford, I've seen the brown ELC A2s that also have OD stitching as per their spec. and can say that it looks surprisingly good on them as well. Have faith in it.
But I'd agree with Dan_T and say that I'd go for black thread on a black jacket if that's what you opt for.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
P.S.
Just had an email from ELC about their new releases for Autumn/Winter 2015 and on there there's their Werber "General Patton Edition" B-3. Russet leather. HH facings. A beautiful bullion patch. It's a spot-on reproduction of the original!
But the first thing I did was to look at the price.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/type-general-patton-p-457.html

See? You didn't even notice it had olive green stitching! It was the last thing I noticed ;)

Last edited:
Olive stitching
hzueFWU.jpg

P.S.
Just had an email from ELC about their new releases for Autumn/Winter 2015 and on there there's their Werber "General Patton Edition" B-3. Russet leather. HH facings. A beautiful bullion patch. It's a spot-on reproduction of the original!
But the first thing I did was to look at the price.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/type-general-patton-p-457.html

Roughwear (Andrew) slightly disagrees. Claiming the original General stars were bullion on the epaulettes (instead of leather) and for that price should be accurate.
HD

Stand By

One Too Many
Roughwear (Andrew) slightly disagrees. Claiming the original General stars were bullion on the epaulettes (instead of leather) and for that price should be accurate.
HD

Oh, I'm sure that having bullion patches made is costly and the jacket certainly looks great and, as such, exudes expense. I was just meaning the final cost in general for what is, at the end of the day, a B-3 jacket; 1400 quid + VAT + shipping (or in my case, + customs & duties + customs handling fee + international shipping + weak Canadian dollar = an eye-watering CDN$3000+). My girlfriend would KILL me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran