Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jacket contrasting stitching question

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

I bought an Aero Ridley from Thurston Bros and am waiting for the fit jacket to arrive. The fit jacket for the Ridley is actually the Board Racer. I'm going with Black CXL FQHH and I need to decide if I want to specify contrasting stitching. Do any of you have opinions on this? And possibly photos of your jackets with or without contrasting stitching? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a big investment for me and I want to make sure I am informed about all the options. Thank you!

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Generally, an Olive Drab stitching with the brown FQHH looks great - subtle & classy.
I tend to go black on black however for the option that you're considering.

What are you after? A subtle contrast, or a noticeable 'feature' for the jacket like the following;
Aero%20Aeromarine%20Black%20Jerky%20front.jpg Aero%20Ridley%20black%20Italian%205%20smaller.jpg Aero%20Ridley%20Black%20Vicenza%20front.JPG

zebedee

One Too Many
With black leather, go for black or brown stitching- preferably black. Unless you have a true, abiding, desperate longing to go for a lighter stitching (and are prepared to have some folks comment on it looking tacky and understand that it won't all fade in at the same rate), go dark. A stain on light-coloured stitching draws attention to the rest of it; with black or brown you're safe. Maybe olive. Nah. Black. If it's a big investment, think safe.

zebedee

One Too Many
Plus, black fqhh fades to a brown/yellowish base, and this fading won't be uniform (at least, it isn't on my Stockman). A contrasting stitching that is too light might look a bit bonkers when this happens.

Only IMHO, don't intend to cause upset, etc.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I have olive stitching on a black highwayman and it looks killer. It's very subtle and understated, it doesn't jump out at you at all. It's a really nice touch, especially if you go with a liner that has olive green in it. Every black leather jacket on the planet and it's brother has black stitching. Since you have the option to do something that's just a touch more distinctive, I'd take advantage of it and go for it. Ask Thurston for their opinion. They see hundreds of jackets come and go with this option

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I have olive stitching on a black highwayman and it looks killer. It's very subtle and understated, it doesn't jump out at you at all. It's a really nice touch, especially if you go with a liner that has olive green in it. Every black leather jacket on the planet and it's brother has black stitching. Since you have the option to do something a little more distinctive, I'd take advantage of it and go for it. Ask Thurston for their opinion. They see hundreds of jackets come and go with this option

I couldn't agree more with this statement. When people think contrast stitching they think of something that will really stand out, but olive green or brown on a black jacket is something no one notices unless they are up close checking out your jacket... and they see that it's something that's truly custom and looks amazing.
I have contrast on almost all of my jackets, and even an old Langlitz has brown stitching from when it was made over 30 years ago.

I totally respect the opinion of black on black, I get that it's classic and you won't be disappointed, but 99.99% of black leather jackets have black stitching.

Maybe a good idea for some of us to find some contrast stitch photos to show how it really looks? This is a good thread / discussion.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I got OD stitching on seal and russet, looks awesome!
I got mid brown on russet, and dark brown on seal too.
I'd like to try russet with straw stitching, and seal with rust.

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Pawineguy, that OD does look really good. Thanks for the photo.

And to everyone else, I'm definitely leaning toward black. Partly because this is my first Aero and am leaning toward a conservative, almost neutral look. If I do go for contrasting stitching, then it will have to be OD like what Pawineguy has.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have rust thread on seal. It's never as 'overt' as you think it looks really, unless you go for white-on-black, which to my eye has a very Nudie/'Western' look.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have rust thread on seal. It's never as 'overt' as you think it looks really, unless you go for white-on-black, which to my eye has a very Nudie/'Western' look.

Do you have any pics of that? I think that would be a good combo for a goat A-2.

dan_t

Practically Family
I was just about to ask for rust, thanks I think that looks stunning!

For another subtle effect, what about a deep maroon on black, I'd really, really love to see this, I think it'd look killer!

Edward

Bartender
I love the two-tone effect. I have olive green on a seal goat A2. Looks superb. It's a really subtle touch - you don't notice it until you do, and then it really pops. The rust above looks great.

I'd avoid a white or cream stitch on all but the lightest shades of leather, myself, as it would be apt to getting grubby mad not look so great. A good, deep red on black would look really sharp, though...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I was just about to ask for rust, thanks I think that looks stunning!

For another subtle effect, what about a deep maroon on black, I'd really, really love to see this, I think it'd look killer!

That reminds me of the 'berry' knits aero used to do. I'd love a seal a-2 with berry knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21