Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jackets & the British Pound

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

If you have your eye on an Aero jacket and you live outside of the UK, you may want to pay for it now. I speculate in the financial markets professionally, including the currency markets, and the Bank of England just said that interest rate hikes are coming sooner than expected. That sent the pound flying and I think the move is only just getting started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Pound is up less then 3 cents against the U.S. dollar. I don't think I am going to panic just yet!

D

Deleted member 16736

The Pound is up less then 3 cents against the U.S. dollar. I don't think I am going to panic just yet!

In the world of currencies, that's a big move. It wasn't too long ago the pound was 2 to the dollar.

tonypaj

Practically Family
For me this is simple. Over the last year I have lost one leather jacket with the currency stuff. My income is in CHF, son at the uni in the UK, fees GBP, the exchange rate difference would cover a very nice jacket... I'm not so worried about the pound, though, I don't need more jackets. I'm more worried about euro. I don't see anything good there.

Otter

One Too Many
Even if the vote goes for independence then separation would not be for another two years; more if rUK gets it way as they have no politically acceptable alternative for basing all those Trident and "Yet to be decided" next generation SSBN's.
So two and a bit years to get an order in before we switch to Groats again.;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is a great chart showing the historical exchange rate. It is actually still quite low! There was the great moment in the mid 80s when the exchange rate went to almost 1 to 1. I remember this well, a bunch of rich Texans ran over there as fast as their Lear Jets would carry them and bought some Mosquitoes and Spitfires. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the first half of the 20th century!
dollar-verylong_zps93729b9c.gif

Edward

Bartender
Here is a great chart showing the historical exchange rate. It is actually still quite low! There was the great moment in the mid 80s when the exchange rate went to almost 1 to 1. I remember this well, a bunch of rich Texans ran over there as fast as their Lear Jets would carry them and bought some Mosquitoes and Spitfires. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the first half of the 20th century!
dollar-verylong_zps93729b9c.gif

If it did, it'd do wonders for exports to and tourism from the UK! I'm watching it like a hawk amd hoping it happens in about three years when I can afford a US holiday with a couple of grand to spend... ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner