Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather 30's Half Belt Jackey, Q(uestion of size)

celestynnm

New in Town
Hi
I have question about size(measure) of 30's half belt jacket.

My spec
5'8"(176Cm)
148(68kg)

Size 38 is good for me?
I worry about back and front length.

I'm afraid the length is too short to me.

I want a 24.5" at least (back and front length)

Which size is good for me? 38 or 40?

Thanks, have a good day

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi
I have question about size(measure) of 30's half belt jacket.

My spec
5'8"(176Cm)
148(68kg)

Size 38 is good for me?
I worry about back and front length.

I'm afraid the length is too short to me.

I want a 24.5" at least (back and front length)

Which size is good for me? 38 or 40?

Thanks, have a good day

The ONLY way to be certain is contact the maker of the brand you want and have a discussion. Given that you are not tall 24.5 inches for the back length is probably fine. I am 6 inches taller and 26 inches is okay in that model. Remember the front length of a 1930's Aero is 2-3 inches longer than the back. Call them/email them/contact them.;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Also when you contact the maker of the brand you want, recommend that you follow their lead rather than attempt to construct a "Frankenjacket" for yourself. Proceed SLOWLY. There are a number of us who have been doing this for years and still can't get it right. :D

Jonst

New in Town
I ordered a 30's half-belt in April. Based on some posts I had read here from a couple of years ago, I asked for the length of the front and the back to be the same. I was contacted by Denny, at Aero, in August to confirm my order and he said that they would no longer make the back and front length the same. As Seb has mentioned, the front is supposedly 2 inches longer than the back. However, having received the jacket last week, I would say that the drop is not very noticeable and I think that the jacket does looks better for having the drop. As Fanch says, it's probably better to follow the lead of the manufacturer - they know what they are doing!

For what it's worth, I am 6'3" and I went for a size 40 with 26"/26.5" back. The jacket I received is spot on. Wearing a pair of jeans, the back is and inch or so above the top of the back pockets and the front of the jacket doesn't come as far down as the opening of the front pockets (i.e. I can put my hands in my front pockets without having to lift the hem of the jacket).

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I tried on a size 40 and a size 38 in the Aero 1930's HB. I'm a slim 40 and the 38 was too small for me. The size for you is going to depend on your chest size. While I find that Aero jackets generally run at least one size large, the 30's HB does fit true to size. If you take a 38 in a suit coat, order a size 38 HB. If you desire extra length and are concerned about fit in general, contact Insurrection/Thurston Brothers. They specify more length in their jackets, will send out a jacket to test fit, and you'll get your jacket much quicker than you would if you ordered directly from Aero. It's the way to go.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was contacted by Denny, at Aero, in August to confirm my order and he said that they would no longer make the back and front length the same. As Seb has mentioned the front is supposedly 2 inches longer than the back. However, having received the jacket last week, I would say that the drop is not very noticeable when wearing the jacket but I think that the jacket does looks better for having the drop. As Fanch says, it's probably better to follow the lead of the manufacturer - they know what they are doing!

To me, messing around with any jacket design's basic underpinnings ie the HB's dipped front, would, imho, be to miss the point of getting that jacket. It won't look like all the great HB's you see on the Lounge. If you want an evened-out hem, I'd just go for a Highwayman or similar.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I tried on a size 40 and a size 38 in the Aero 1930's HB. I'm a slim 40 and the 38 was too small for me. The size for you is going to depend on your chest size. While I find that Aero jackets generally run at least one size large, the 30's HB does fit true to size. If you take a 38 in a suit coat, order a size 38 HB. If you desire extra length and are concerned about fit in general, contact Insurrection/Thurston Brothers. They specify more length in their jackets, will send out a jacket to test fit, and you'll get your jacket much quicker than you would if you ordered directly from Aero. It's the way to go.

+1 for US customers, Insurrection is the way to go. Believe me, it's much easier dealing with Insurrection than directly with Aero if you live in the states.
Another point is that I am also a 40 slim in a suit and wear a 38 in the 30's halfbelt, so it's good to be able to test out a size.

pauleway

Practically Family
Also when you contact the maker of the brand you want, recommend that you follow their lead rather than attempt to construct a "Frankenjacket" for yourself. Proceed SLOWLY. There are a number of us who have been doing this for years and still can't get it right. :D

Fanch, I've seen your last few jackets, and I think you got it right on the money!!;)

pauleway

Practically Family
I'm 5'7" and I have an Aero 30's HB with a back length of 24" and the back sits just at the top of my back pockets. I think 24.5" would be a good back length for you. I also do prefer the drop front of this style jacket. Just call Insurrection/Thurston Bros. give them your stats and they will take care of you!

winterland1

Practically Family
As you can see the opinions vary on sizing.
Go by the measurements of a jacket that fits you. Sizing 38, 40 etc of a jacket means nothing without the actual measurements.
pit to pit
shoulder to shoulder seam
bottom of back collar to back bottom
arm length, shoulder seam to end of sleeve
waist is good to get also.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot