Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather water resistance

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
still puzzled about the facts between pigment, pygmy, and piglet,
from what I read roasting them on a fire pit will give off different aroma/ fragrance, is it true?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg

samo

One of the Regulars
My two cents :)
Term pigment is very similar to term vitamine. Vitamines can be of quite different chemical compositions but they have one thing common - they actually help human body. Similar is with pigments. They give a color to the paint. If they are soluble the paint is solution in other case pain becomes suspension. The oldest know pigment reddish iron oxide is not soluble in water while many modern organic pigments like metilene blue are. The paints - pigments color the leather but I doubt that this would help at its waterprofing? On the other hand waxes in leather are quite hydrofobic so they cause that water drops becomes nearly speherical and roll from the leather surface. So waxes cause the waterprofness of leathers not paints.

Last edited:
But does it really matter? I mean, how waterproof does one really need their leather jackets to be? I wouldn't want to spend a second more than I had to standing in the rain, even if I wore a jacket made out of the most water resilient leather in the world, same as I avoid riding when it's raining, always pulling aside whenever there's as much as a hint of a downpour. I'm certain that for any amount of time anyone's going to spend in the rain, Horween FQHH is more than sufficiently waterproof.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
But does it really matter? I mean, how waterproof does one really need their leather jackets to be? I wouldn't want to spend a second more than I had to standing in the rain, even if I wore a jacket made out of the most water resilient leather in the world, same as I avoid riding when it's raining, always pulling aside whenever there's as much as a hint of a downpour. I'm certain that for any amount of time anyone's going to spend in the rain, Horween FQHH is more than sufficiently waterproof.

+1. Except for when you're doing calesthetics in a downpour to break that FQHH in....or riding.

I think the concern of rain stems from either having the jacket dry out (having to apply conditioner is a time consuming process and a dried out jacket instills fear of cracking and deterioration) or shrink.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
what happened with carrying foldable umbrella in your car glove compartment or rain coat with your motorcycle
I'm of younger generation, but I still practice that faithfully. Unless I want to get my jacket wet, I never got caught in rain for a prolonged time without any sort of protection I prepared, or finding a dry place to wait.
Before worrying about my leather jacket getting wet, probably I think more about my cellphone, my wallet, my documents first.

tonypaj

Practically Family
My Jeep Wrangler leaks. That's my only way of getting anywhere, I live in the countryside. Leather jackets and boots come in handy, dirt and mud, cows and horses (well, they belong to the farmers, I just live in the middle, our horse is at the fancy stables in the next village). Maybe I could fix the leak, but then again, it's a 1999 one, and will just leak again. No umbrellas for me, not even on the golf course. For golf, nothing beats the modern stuff.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
+1. Except for when you're doing calesthetics in a downpour to break that FQHH in....or riding.

I think the concern of rain stems from either having the jacket dry out (having to apply conditioner is a time consuming process and a dried out jacket instills fear of cracking and deterioration) or shrink.

Personally, if one of my jackets get really wet, I just fling it over the clothes drier in the dining room with some newspaper under it to catch the drips. I find I do the worst damage to jackets and whatnot when I baby them too much.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
what happened with carrying foldable umbrella in your car glove compartment or rain coat with your motorcycle
I'm of younger generation, but I still practice that faithfully. Unless I want to get my jacket wet, I never got caught in rain for a prolonged time without any sort of protection I prepared, or finding a dry place to wait.
Before worrying about my leather jacket getting wet, probably I think more about my cellphone, my wallet, my documents first.

As a 6'2" Londoner i hate umbrellas with a passion! People are to selfish and stupid to use them properly.
Walking outside in the rain is pretty much like parkour for me, and usually ends up with getting my eyes poked out, or my faced scratched by metal rods.
If i was king of the world i would get them banned, don't even get me started on wheeled suit cases...

Seriously though i have ridden in the rain in most of my jackets and they all kept me dry.
Maybe not monsoon proof, but most leather should be fine in the average downpour.
I have also never used any sort of conditioner on them, just let them dry naturally, no drying, cracking or anything to report.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As a 6'2" Texican, I find no problem using an umbrella here on the rare occasions when it rains. However when I visited London last month, I actually folded up my umbrella and walked in the rain. In all my life I have never seen pedestrian traffic like London and appreciate Carlos' point of view. :eeek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The biggest mistake I made in London was not trying to use an umbrella but walking up the escalator on the Tube on the left side but not walking fast enough. :eeek: :eeek:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The biggest mistake I made in London was not trying to use an umbrella but walking up the escalator on the Tube on the left side but not walking fast enough. :eeek: :eeek:

That good sir is an unforgivable mistake! It's almost worst than standing on the left!

The stand on the right thing is the best idea since the invention of the escalator!
I always get so frustrated when i am in a country where it is not a thing, and people just stand and wait everywhere, blocking it for people who want to walk.
Escalators are there to get you to the top faster, not for people to be lazy and stand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVN-7h4YiAs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails