Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather water resistance

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yes, but two different issues here. Issue one was if Aero's FQHH is top coated, and it's not. Issue two was whether something being aniline means it cannot be durable and waterproof / water resistant. Full grain, aniline leathers can be made this way via hot stuffing and other means of oil and wax permeation of the leather. Otherwise, as I've noted, no one would be making CXL boots.

Maybe there are some crossd wires here (on my part) regarding analine leather. Without wishing to sound like a donk (too late !!! :D) ,the analine leathers that i'm familiar with, have very little in the way of post tanning processes, which leaves the leather as natural as it can be, yet still usable. It ages well & developes a beautiful patina. There may be a secondary or sub definition of analine leathers specific to the clothing trade, so injecting leather with chemicals, oils or waxes to render it water resistant & more durable, completely altering the nature of the leather, may still be termed analine because it has received everything else but a pigment coating. That's fine.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Then it’s ready to be dyed. Chromexcel is colored by hand-rubbing with multiple coats of pigment. As well as giving it a deep, even color this contributes to its rich patina. Finally it’s dried again; now, at last, it’s ready to be used.

How do the dyes/pigments get through the waxes & oils ?......isn't it usually done the other way around, dye first then wax ?...I don't know I'm on a learning curve here. :confused:

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
See, even old guys like HD know how to use Google to find info instead of lecturing people! :)

I presume that was meant for me :rolleyes: I'm not lecturing anyone bud & I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, the problem with the typed word is that you can't see the twinkle in my eye nor the wry smile so prehaps I'm misunderstood by some. :p

Opinions & experiences differ, doesn't make them any more or any less valid...

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I presume that was meant for me :rolleyes: I'm not lecturing anyone bud & I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, the problem with the typed word is that you can't see the twinkle in my eye nor the wry smile so prehaps I'm misunderstood by some. :p

Opinions & experiences differ, doesn't make them any more or any less valid...

I agree that something may be getting lost in the written word, but we were talking about very specific leathers here, and your posts were not reflective of the properties of those leathers.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
what is considered top coating in this discussion?
paint or weather proofing wax?

I don't have anything horween, and the jackets I have are not waxed (leather feel pretty dry not waxy),
my cow seems to be painted because the surface is shinier but it still shows all the natural texture and uneven pore grains, anyhow water can wet it when exposed for longer time and it hold the wetness for longer time, not water proof, but water resistant up to a point due to its thickness, conditioner paste is quickly absorbed too.

my goat is not painted, only dyed (surface is even faded than its profile and its suede side) and also not waxed on top, absorb lotion like a sponge, but somehow not easy to get wet by water, even if it finally becomes wet, it releases water very fast, hlf an hour and it is completely dry.

my sheep is also not painted, and not water resistant at all, it can be totally dripping wet even under slight drizzle, and with the water it's dye bleeds and move around the leather to lower areas, it got wet from rain when on a bike, and then on top of the sleeve the leather is visibly lighter and the lower part of the sleeve where wetness puddles more the color became much darker once dry.

so beside my goat, I need to apply weather proofing on them when I plan to use it to ride longer distance, especially that sheep, as it drips its dye allover the place onto my tshirt too :eusa_doh:
is that considered top coating or re-top coating my leather?

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
" Chromexcel is colored by hand-rubbing with multiple coats of pigment."

CXL is claimed to be an analine leather. But then it is stated they apply pigment to it, which would then render it semi-analine, right?. Perhaps the type of or type of application of the pigment makes a difference?? Can "pigment" be more than one thing? Or I'm just incorrect on the definition of analine in the first place.

I'm lost now.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Actually, there is contrasting information here.
http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

It says "Now that we have the canvas ready, we can start the finishing process. Chromexcel receives several hand-rubbed coats of aniline (non-pigmented) finish – this type of dye application allows for even staining of the hide"

So one source says it has a pigmented finish and the other doesn't? I'm more inclined to believe the second is right.

pawineguy

One Too Many
" Chromexcel is colored by hand-rubbing with multiple coats of pigment."

CXL is claimed to be an analine leather. But then it is stated they apply pigment to it, which would then render it semi-analine, right?. Perhaps the type of or type of application of the pigment makes a difference?? Can "pigment" be more than one thing? Or I'm just incorrect on the definition of analine in the first place.

I'm lost now.

I'm not sure where HD's quote came from, but the website says:

"Chromexcel receives several hand-rubbed coats of aniline (non-pigmented) finish – this type of dye application allows for even staining of the hide."

You have the right definition, and someone either substituted the word "pigment" when they meant "dye" on another website or if it's on Horween's website in another spot it's a colossal error.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure where HD's quote came from, but the website says:

"Chromexcel receives several hand-rubbed coats of aniline (non-pigmented) finish – this type of dye application allows for even staining of the hide."

You have the right definition, and someone either substituted the word "pigment" when they meant "dye" on another website or if it's on Horween's website in another spot it's a colossal error.

Free leather prize time! I'll take a long winding road of it please.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
how can blue or red cxl made without pigment?

They can't be but neither can most colors come to that. There are natural pigments, derived from minerals & there are artificial pigments or colorants synthesized in a lab.
There are also natural dyes made from plants, not sure what category they would sit in though.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Having had a good look at the Horween website, there does appear to be quite a lot of publicity wizzardry going on regarding their 'chromexel' but I shall say no more for fear of lecturing you all. ;)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
oh, I'm back from Wiki,

pigment is a suspension/ milky / opaque (paint)
dye is soluble/ translucent / stain

before in my mind I think
pigment is anything that used to make colors either in Paint (opaque) or Dye (translucent)

I bet there would still be confusion in the use of these words...

so based on that, I suppose:
-full aniline is colored using staining build up method only
-semi aniline is colored with stain, but then also helped with a layer of paint on top
-non aniline is probably a non dyed leather that is only rolled or spray painted on top, and will show its natural hide color (greyish-chrome and beige-veg) when the top coat is gone.
please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner