Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero London Stockists

Edward

Bartender
According to Aero's Facebook page they have a new London stockist: John Simons, on Chiltern Street, W1. Thought this worth passing on for those down this way who might want to check out an Aero in person before buying.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Interesting, its a nice shop, used to be in Covent Garden. Curiously also on Chiltern Street is a menswear store called Archer Adams who also stock Aero (or did so last year), I am not aware of anywhere else in London that does.

Edward

Bartender
I remember the Covent Garden shop - I bought the last pair of their own-brand Khakis in my size before it closed. Not been over to the new shop yet. Hadn't heard of another Aero stockist. I must go and check them out at some point. Always nice to see the jackets in advance and get an idea of fit and sizing. I'm still trying not to get too excited about the Highwayman til I see it on, but.... I'd never have considered one going by the photos on Aero's website, but actually seeing pictures of them being worn by FL members, I thought it's worth a shot. I do think that's the one big failing on both Aero and ELC websites, seeing the jackets worn on an actual person (as per the Goodwear site) - though to be fair the Aero customer galley helps a little in that regard.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
It's true, Archer Adams has a few models. I, too, remember the Covent Garden shop, Sam Walker, which had scores of Aeros. Seems what happened is SW started making Aero clones, and they fell out. Strange that Aero doesn't have another big London stockist, though. Perhaps it's about keeping costs down but it would be so much better if you could go and try the jackets on.

Sir J

mattp

One of the Regulars
I went to both John Simons and Archer Adams this evening, it turns out Archer Adams used to stock Aero but has taken a different direction and sold all his stock on to John Simons. JS had a black FQHH Highwayman (size 44), and will be getting more stock in 2 months or so.
They're both great little stores, the chap at AA still had the leather samples from Aero and was kind enough to go through them with me, and still offers a made to measure ordering service with Aero, while it seems JS gets stock in and you just buy what's there. Iron Heart down in Gosport still has the best stock levels at this end of the country, but it's a fair way from London I guess, I just happen to be working down that way (which could end up costing me a fair bit in jackets!)
Cheers, Matt

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
That's interesting about Sam Walker, I do miss that shop. The new(ish) John Simons store on Chiltern street is great. Apart from the Ivy League staples there is usually a nice selection of leathers out the back and this new relationship with Aero will make a pilgrimage over to Marylebone even more worthwhile.

Edward

Bartender
It's true, Archer Adams has a few models. I, too, remember the Covent Garden shop, Sam Walker, which had scores of Aeros. Seems what happened is SW started making Aero clones, and they fell out. Strange that Aero doesn't have another big London stockist, though. Perhaps it's about keeping costs down but it would be so much better if you could go and try the jackets on.

Sir J

I'd always assumed it was as much as anything Aero sticking to a certain size of an operation which precluded large numbers of stockists. I never knew they had one at all in London (at least in recent years) prior to JS announcing it on Facebook.

Hadn't heard that story re Sam Walker... I've seen a few of the jackets under that label but for whatever reason the version of the story I picked up was that Aero made them under contract and they were branded as Sam Walker, as opposed to being clones. Given that they are historical copies in the main, or variations on types, it would be difficult for Aero to stop someone else copying them, though (providing they didn't infringe any Aero trademarks) as they aren't going to have any real right to exclusivity in the designs. It'd be like Schott now trying to prevent anyone else from making a Perfecto-type jacket.

I went to both John Simons and Archer Adams this evening, it turns out Archer Adams used to stock Aero but has taken a different direction and sold all his stock on to John Simons. JS had a black FQHH Highwayman (size 44), and will be getting more stock in 2 months or so.
They're both great little stores, the chap at AA still had the leather samples from Aero and was kind enough to go through them with me, and still offers a made to measure ordering service with Aero, while it seems JS gets stock in and you just buy what's there. Iron Heart down in Gosport still has the best stock levels at this end of the country, but it's a fair way from London I guess, I just happen to be working down that way (which could end up costing me a fair bit in jackets!)
Cheers, Matt

Jinkies, more...with the slew of trainee jackets appearing on their website, I'm wondering if Aero are looking to produce much more to stock than they have been? Could be great (assuming a stockist doesn't end up being much more expensive than buying direct) - less waiting time. Some jackets I'd still want to special order for certain details, but for the most part I'd also be happy to consider buying stock.

That's interesting about Sam Walker, I do miss that shop. The new(ish) John Simons store on Chiltern street is great. Apart from the Ivy League staples there is usually a nice selection of leathers out the back and this new relationship with Aero will make a pilgrimage over to Marylebone even more worthwhile.

It's an interesting place. The main fashion focus is about twenty years too late for my interests, but they do have some nice stuff, especially if you are into the Steve Macqueen look.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
i ran into a little shop today on portobello street called the hideout. Decal on the window says that they are aero stockists. Go inside and amongst all of the vintage leather sure enough three brand new aero steerhides. Prices seemed a little too good to be true at under 200 pounds. this being my first actual aero exposure I examined the details and tried the two in the right size on. I hate to say it after spending some time on this forum and listening to the aero rave reviews, i was not terribly impressed. For the prices in the shop they were a solid or even a great buy, but if i were to buy from aero direct at their prices i cant help but feel i would come down with serious case of buyers remorse. I love the idea of quality materials and quality craftsmen making a quality product and am willing to pay for said quality when my budget allows, as such i really want to like aero. I feel like I listened to the siren song and only came away appreciative of the skill with which it is rendered but not particularly enthralled by it. Help me out fellow loungers where is the aero magic I'm missing?

Either your expectations are out of wack or they weren't Aeros. Not sure. I can't see them.
None of mine are short of spectacular. I've owned ~8 at this point.

Edward

Bartender
In steer, at that price... could be trainee made, I suppose, which would explain the low price (Aero train their machinists on steer before they move on to horse). I've never seen a trainee jacket get out that was less than exemplary, though. Still, assuming they were Aero, different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Not everyone can like everything. [huh] You might just be a Lost Worlds, Eastman or whatever else guy.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
I had no problem with the fit and finish of the jackets. admittedly none of the styles they had were ones i would order. some fault may fall on me I think butte is right my expectations may have been too high. Then again for the price of an aero from the factory anything less then perfection [huh]. I'm with you Edward i may not be an aero type of guy. but hey for those aero loving london loungers here is an opportunity to pick up some great jackets for relatively less outlay of coin

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
If they were genuine Aero's at under £200 you should have bought them all and put them on e-bay, it seems strange to me that on Aero's own website you can not buy a trainee made jacket(or a second hand one) for under £300 that a retailer has them for over 33% less when they would require a mark up themselves! incidentally you can tell a trainee made jacket by the label, if I were anywhere near London I would clean them out (if genuine!), anything for a quick buck!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have been buying Aero since 1981 when they had a shop in Falcon Road Battersea, still got the A2 they made me back then. No one else in England or Scotland were making repro's at this time.
My last jacket was a black Highwayman about 5 years ago. Fantastic fit in heavy horse hide.
The last jacket I bought in London was from a shop on Oxford Street, run by a guy named Mustafa, he had most of the heavy horse range and I picked a beautiful cordovan Highwayman.
Still got an original WWII A2 I bought from the Battersea shop as well though it's a bit tight now, might post a pic sometime.
Johnny T

Edward

Bartender
If they were genuine Aero's at under £200 you should have bought them all and put them on e-bay, it seems strange to me that on Aero's own website you can not buy a trainee made jacket(or a second hand one) for under £300 that a retailer has them for over 33% less when they would require a mark up themselves! incidentally you can tell a trainee made jacket by the label, if I were anywhere near London I would clean them out (if genuine!), anything for a quick buck!

Maybe.... it varies a lot. The steer don't seem to command the same price on the second hand market, I suppose because it's the fqhh on which Aero's popularity has mostly been based. A superb hide, to be sure, but (as I noted in my thread on non-fqhh Aero) a shame that some of their other equally wonderful hides don't get the attention they should. FWIW, I saw a horse Highwayman go for only just over GBP200 this last week, though to be fair for the most part their hh jackets and their A2s seem to have risen in second hand value proportionate to the price rises of the new jackets.

I have been buying Aero since 1981 when they had a shop in Falcon Road Battersea, still got the A2 they made me back then. No one else in England or Scotland were making repro's at this time.
My last jacket was a black Highwayman about 5 years ago. Fantastic fit in heavy horse hide.
The last jacket I bought in London was from a shop on Oxford Street, run by a guy named Mustafa, he had most of the heavy horse range and I picked a beautiful cordovan Highwayman.
Still got an original WWII A2 I bought from the Battersea shop as well though it's a bit tight now, might post a pic sometime.
Johnny T

Oxford Street? Jinkies. Seems there are a lot more new Aeros out there in the wild than I realised! Would Oxford Street be a place to save on them, given it's not the obvious hunting ground for the likes of us?

Battersea - was that original Aero owner Ken Calder's outlet - the Original Thrift Store, or something?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes it was the Thrift Shop. I found it searching for a shop a bit further down the road that sold matchless motorcycle spares.
The shop in Oxford Street is long gone I think. Prices were similar to website though. Must have been about 12 years back.

Edward

Bartender
Yes it was the Thrift Shop. I found it searching for a shop a bit further down the road that sold matchless motorcycle spares.
The shop in Oxford Street is long gone I think. Prices were similar to website though. Must have been about 12 years back.

Ah, just around the time I moved here..... I first discovered Aero and Eastman only about 2003, but at the time I couldn't see the value in a jacket of that price.... and the girl I was with in those days made it very clear she would not suffer to be seen in public with me if I wore a leather jacket with wrist and/or waist knits, which also ruled out a lot of the options...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have never minded paying good money for quality made things, which is why I have a small collection of Aero jackets. The fit across the shoulders is the main concern with short type jackets for me.
Now Eastman make a very good quality item, usually 100% on details, but their fit across the shoulder on their A2 tends to be a little wide when the chest is correct. But their sheepskins seem to be spot on, I have a B3 Roughwaer and a standard ANJ4.
(I know there is a topic for sizing so I may post this there as well)
Other than my hand made A2 by Ken, I have never tried an Aero A2
As for the Sam Walker jackets, they come nowhere near as good as Aero's, they are often on eBay being sold as 'Sam Walker' made by Aero but they are not made by Aero. Fitted with Ykk zips and based on the two I had, less stitching per inch, or centimetre as you may, wonky stitch lines and poorer quality knits.
Described by Sam Walker as "The best leather jacket in the world" Haha, If you made the best surely you would not need to put it in a jacket label, it would be universally known. So maybe SW did sell Aero jackets at one point but those labelled Sam Walker were not made buy Aero. Ask Ken, Lydia or Will, they will tell you.
Whew!!!!! bit of a rant almost:D Johnny T

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
i ran into a little shop today on portobello street called the hideout. Decal on the window says that they are aero stockists. Go inside and amongst all of the vintage leather sure enough three brand new aero steerhides. Prices seemed a little too good to be true at under 200 pounds. this being my first actual aero exposure I examined the details and tried the two in the right size on. I hate to say it after spending some time on this forum and listening to the aero rave reviews, i was not terribly impressed. For the prices in the shop they were a solid or even a great buy, but if i were to buy from aero direct at their prices i cant help but feel i would come down with serious case of buyers remorse. I love the idea of quality materials and quality craftsmen making a quality product and am willing to pay for said quality when my budget allows, as such i really want to like aero. I feel like I listened to the siren song and only came away appreciative of the skill with which it is rendered but not particularly enthralled by it. Help me out fellow loungers where is the aero magic I'm missing?

Don't you think you should look at a Scottish made Aero before posting. A new jacket made by them is not under £200 !
There was a black horsehide Highwayman in the Simon shop in Chiltern St on Friday you could compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats