Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero on eBay: Do these measurements seem right?

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
There's a size 40 vintage FQHH long half belt for sale on eBay:

The Listing

The listed measurements are:

shoulders 19.5", armpits 24", sleeve 27", length 29.5"

I've double checked the measurements on my other size 40 jackets, and this seems a bit on the big side, especially the 24" pit to pit measurement. Is this typical for Aero? Am I missing something?

It doesn't fit the measurements of my "stock" size 40 Aero jackets.
Shoulders:18.5..but with action back could be 19.5"... Underarm:23"... Sleeve:25-25.5"
Sounds more like a slightly larger 40 long or tall to me. I'd be more concerned with the 27" sleeve length. I wear a 34" shirtsleeve...27" jacket sleeve would be well past my knuckles. I do wear a 26" longer jacket sleeve for motorcycle riding.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Typical Aero sizing...

It's all over the place...From my experience with Aero jackets, I would ignore the the tag size and use the actual measurements, instead.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I own an Aero Windward that's size 40 long and here are the measurements...

Shoulders 18" straight across at the highest point.

Underarm at widest point 23 1/2".

Sleeve down the outside 26".

This Long Halfbelt might be cut different and more generous than the short Windward as it's more of a coat. More than that who knows, you're relying on the sellers perception of how to measure those dimensions.

Good luck...

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
If it sounds to good to be true...

I was so excited to find EXACTLY what I was looking for, but the measurements are way off. This does answer the question of why someone's trying to get rid of a new jacket, though.

The lister will allow a return (for a 10% fee, which isn't quite so bad, since he'll ship it out for free). I'm tempted to get it just to try it on and hope that it'll fit. Hmm.

Peacoat

Bartender
JoeNiblick said:
There's a size 40 vintage FQHH long half belt for sale on eBay:

The Listing

The listed measurements are:

shoulders 19.5", armpits 24", sleeve 27", length 29.5"

I've double checked the measurements on my other size 40 jackets, and this seems a bit on the big side, especially the 24" pit to pit measurement. Is this typical for Aero? Am I missing something?

I think the measurements would work for you except for the arm length; they would hang to your knuckles, as HD said above. I wear a 42 and my Highwayman measures 24 across the chest and it is a tight fit, just the way it was made to be. That size would probably work well for you, unless you wanted a tight fit with little room to move. MY shoulder measurements are the same as the one you are thinking about, and they are a good fit for me. I think the length of the arms makes it a no deal for you, unless you have long arms as I do. I could probably live with a 27" arm length, especially for motorcycle riding.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Still thinking...

I measured another slightly looser-fitting jacket, and you're right, Peacoat, I think everything but the sleeves *might* be OK.

So the next question: Should I consider getting the sleeves hemmed?

At the current asking price, we're talking about $200 less than retail for this jacket. Now that I type that out, I guess it would make more sense to just go with custom (and a guaranteed fit).

Thanks for everyone's input!

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Have you contacted the seller to get them to check the arm length? You could also ask exactly how the took the measurement just to be sure. It's an expensive item and any motorvated seller should be to answer your questions.

Peacoat

Bartender
Papa M, I think he means that if he bought this jacket, he would have it now, and not have to wait 3 months as he would if he ordered from Aero.

Joe, if the sleeves were way too long, you might find a seamstress in your area who works with leather. Not all of them do, or even want to. For an idea of the cost, it is about $40 to $50 to have a zipper replaced on a leather jacket. It is quite a job to do, says my seamstress.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
Papa M, I think he means that if he bought this jacket, he would have it now, and not have to wait 3 months as he would if he ordered from Aero.

I ask the question because I see on E-Bay that the Buy It Now sale has ended.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
The wrap up

I made an offer that was turned down... Some other lucky guy (with longer arms, hopefully) snatched it up. I guessed that modifying the arms would cost about $50-$100, and so my final savings would have only been around $100. And really, when we're talking about an item in this price range, it's worth $100 for a guarantee.

Thanks for everyone's help! And if you see that exact jacket with 25" sleeves, let me know! ;)

So wait... Did anyone on here buy it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24