Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Shackleton Explored

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
@ButteMT61, The P2P you'll need for a vest will be different than for a jacket, Im a real solid 48 and usually need a 26" P2P for a jacket, my Filson vests fit fine with a P2P of 23".. I'am really sure that this Shakleton would have fit me.

Cheers, @Boyo!! That answers it. And I am kinda leaning towards the leather backing as well!
Forgot I have a Patagonia down vest. Measured it at <25" p 2 p. That Shack on Aero might work!

Edward

Bartender
Anyone who has one of these, how are you finding the back?

I'm hoping to shift my excess weight to order a couple of these in 2019. I'm leaning to seeing if I can get something other than wool on the back, as I want them more for an alternative to a jacket in warmer weather - more worn like a waistcoat than a kutte. I was considering maybe russet goat all-over for one, and black goat either all over or black goat front / heavy drill back for the other....

Jejupe

Practically Family
Anyone who has one of these, how are you finding the back?

I'm hoping to shift my excess weight to order a couple of these in 2019. I'm leaning to seeing if I can get something other than wool on the back, as I want them more for an alternative to a jacket in warmer weather - more worn like a waistcoat than a kutte. I was considering maybe russet goat all-over for one, and black goat either all over or black goat front / heavy drill back for the other....

I have one in battered steer with wool back. I’ve had no issues with the back, but if I would order it again, I would have the back made of leather too. Goat would be a nice choice IMO. Battered steer is great but very sensitive to getting scratches and marks.

Edward

Bartender
I have one in battered steer with wool back. I’ve had no issues with the back, but if I would order it again, I would have the back made of leather too. Goat would be a nice choice IMO. Battered steer is great but very sensitive to getting scratches and marks.

Thanks. I like the idea of battered steer for a jacket I would want to take on a heavily patina'ed appearance, but for something like this which I *might* on occasion want to wear over a collar and tie, the relative 'tidiness' of goat would be better, I think. I also hope to have the top pockets very slightly widened to accommodate my phone, and either one or two interior pockets added (I assume this is possible, same as the jackets?) to make it a fully viable alternative to a jacket for travelling in. (Room for passport, phone, mp3 player, wallet, tickets.... all the bits I might want to have directly to hand when flying.)

Jejupe

Practically Family
Thanks. I like the idea of battered steer for a jacket I would want to take on a heavily patina'ed appearance, but for something like this which I *might* on occasion want to wear over a collar and tie, the relative 'tidiness' of goat would be better, I think. I also hope to have the top pockets very slightly widened to accommodate my phone, and either one or two interior pockets added (I assume this is possible, same as the jackets?) to make it a fully viable alternative to a jacket for travelling in. (Room for passport, phone, mp3 player, wallet, tickets.... all the bits I might want to have directly to hand when flying.)

Maybe you should consider using stiffer hide for the shackleton you plan to use for travelling, if you're going to load the pockets of it with lot of heavy(?) stuff? Maybe for example jerky hh? And yeah, the back should be in that case definitely also be leather.

Edward

Bartender
Maybe you should consider using stiffer hide for the shackleton you plan to use for travelling, if you're going to load the pockets of it with lot of heavy(?) stuff? Maybe for example jerky hh? And yeah, the back should be in that case definitely also be leather.

Worth considering... the one leather I've used this way so far was a Wested Raiders in their goat (much lighter than Aero's), though - not had a problem there (other than that the sleeves made it a bit hot to wear sometimes, hence part of the attraction with the Shackleton). Definitely going to be considering all options, though, and hopefully will be able to go try it out in person.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many

Mmmmm adding too much pockets and stuffing them with different objects... I’m afraid it will look like a photographer vest.
Don’t forget that a vest drap differently than a jacket. It’s really close to the body.
Here 2 months old photo. Today, it is too cold to only wear the vest but it is great underneath an overcoat.

0095a800e74acdfdc82984dfc31a42af.jpg

The original 4 pockets already fit most phones and passports.
So I wouldn’t modify the vest too much, I would be afraid it would change the fit and look. But I might be wrong better ask Holly.

abone

A-List Customer
Me and my Shackleton in dark seal Vicenza horsehide, brown cotton drill lining, size 42. I ordered through Carrie at Thurston Bros and she nailed the fit. I wasn't sure how much use I would get out of it, or it's versatility, but I am wearing it almost everyday, as outerwear or under a light jacket. Really happy with the vest.

IMG_4125.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points