Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Shawl Collar Barnstormer, Pull the trigger?

SkyCapt.

New in Town
Hello All,

I have been lurking for sometime looking for info on the Aero Barnstormer with shearling lining. I have seen posts on the warmth of the FQHH with the alpaca wool or tartan lining. I live in Oklahoma City were the winters are hit or miss, the average low in the 30's and average high in the low 40s to low 5o's. But I also travel to New York every six weeks or so and planning to spend more time on the North-East this winter. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

olworthers

A-List Customer
I've got an Aero Barnstormer with alpaca wool lining. Living in the UK the weather is not too extreme in the winter months, but I can assure you this is a very warm coat indeed!!

Incidentally the barnstormer is a fantastic coat, whichever one you go for - you'll love it!

OW

Graemsay

Practically Family
Surely there's only one reply to that question? :)

[video=youtube;JoqDYcCDOTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg[/video]

Mr. Paris

New in Town
Hello SkyCapt,
I happen to own a shearling Barnstormer and love the thing.
Trust me, I've worn that suit of armor outside during the blizzards last year here in Connecticut, it will in fact keep you warm.
One caveat, that coat weighs a TON and the during the break in period, its a workout !
Its always a little stiff on a cold morning, but after a short while it just settles in and you're good to go.
The biggest consolation to any criticisms that may be made of it is that its simply one of the coolest jackets I've ever owned or seen anywhere .
My two cents...
Mr. Paris

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi SkyCapt.,

I own a Barnstormer in oil pull, with an ~18 oz. wool lining and cotton drill over alpaca in the sleeves.

Here are my thoughts:

Buy the jacket - it is amazing.

However, do not get a shearling lining. First, the front of the jacket - covering the chest - is all leather. So that crucial area is never going to be extremely warm anyway, even with a shearling lining. Second, you probably don't really require shearling that often in your location (I lived in Lubbock, TX, so I am familiar with the climate).

We had a mild winter this year in the dirty Jerz - fairly similar to the average temperature ranges you describe for Oklahoma City. I found my Barnstormer with the described linings to be perfect for 40-50 F - and below, with the proper underlayers. Once it got around freezing or below, Aero's rollneck sweater was fantastic. Otherwise, I went for the peacoat, wool overcoat, or N-3B.

Hope this helps,
Philalethes

SkyCapt.

New in Town
Thanks for the info Philalethes, I'll consider your your advise before purchasing. By the way do you happen to have any pics of your barnstormer posted, I have not seen anyone wearing one.

SkyCapt.

New in Town
Finally ordered!
Well, I had to go with the standard barnstormer so I can get some wear out of the thing because of the mild winters in OKC.
Final Order:
*Barnstormer in oil pulled Horsehide
*Custom sized 48'' 2'' in sleeve and 3'' in body
* Smith Tartan
* Trim fit room just for a light sweater
*Scalloped pocket flaps.
*Highwayman curved yoke
*Horizontal zip interior pocket
Now the 3-4 month wait, but I'm not really pressed because it already in the 90's.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Good choice. Never get a jacket that's too warm.. You can't wear it as often! Another reason to dislike global warming. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo