Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene sizing help

XOX

New in Town
Hi everybody,
I need your help for sizing me with an Aero Sheene. I am 5 feet 11 tall and 176lbs. I've just ordered an Aero Sheene from the Aero sales page. The jacket has arrived yesterday and I have made some pics with my smartphone camera (sorry for the poor quality). The Sheene is size 42, 27 long with 26 sleeves. The leather is goat. What do you think?
My critique about the jacket:
- I have got the feeling that there is a little excess fabric around the armpits.
- I find the sleeves to wide. I didn't realize that the jacket is not made with the standard Sheene sleeves (I think they are slimmer?).
- I think I like the FQHH more than the sheep.

So I am planning to ask Aero to exchange the jacket for a custom made jacket with the following specifications
- Same length.
- Standard Sheene/Cafe Racer sleeves (I think they are slimmer, aren't they?).
- Sleeves maybe 1/2" shorter. What do you think?
- Maybe size down to a 41. But maybe that would be too tight. On the other hand, in the pictures I am only wearing a T-shirt underneath and I might need some room for layering. I've tried the Cafe Racer in size 40 and that's too tight.
- Without the bi-swing back. But with a back like this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/threads/my-new-aero-sheene-pics.74711/
- Normal 3 pocket version.
- Brown FQHH.

Thanks for your help

Greetings from Germany

Philipp

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 2,595
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 2,156
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 995
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 1,038
I wouldn't change a thing. Looks perfect to me. I even think the sleeve width looks good.
The first jacket I purchased from Aero (Hwymn..years ago) was kind of tight under arms and across my shoulder blades (not super tight..but enough to concern me). I contacted Ken Calder and he suggested giving it a few weeks of wearing and that he was sure that it would loosen up somewhat. He was right, it did. I've worn the hell out of it since 2001 and after a short while I was able to layer a shirt with even a sweater.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Seb. You could lose a little on the sleeve length for a better fit. If the size 40 Cafe Racer is too tight, then the size 40 Sheene will also be too tight as well because they are the same pattern.

I believe Aero only has even sizes; therefore, there is no size 41. With the fit you get from the size 42, I wouldn't want to go any tighter.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you decide to go ahead and order another, to get the slimmer sleeves you have to ask for the 2 panel (Japanese) sleeve,

wdw

One Too Many
I think the fit is excellent. Even the sleeves, as they'll still shorten a little. Why spend more?

What others said, looks perfect to me. Don't mess with the size, this 42 is perfect for you. Other than that, I agree with all your custom specs ideas - apart from the three pocket config. I'd go either with all four, or just two, be it handwarmers or chest pockets, but that's me.

pawineguy

One Too Many
If you had told me that it was already a custom jacket I would have said that they really nailed the fit. Because this is built off the cafe racer pattern, the upper arms and back are typically a little on the roomy side. If you really want the slimmer arms see the advice above, but they are not the standard on the Sheene. Either way, using this as a model you should end up with a great jacket. I would caution that if you are changing any dimension on this jacket by too much you are probably heading in the wrong direction as it's a really good fit.

EDIT: IMPORTANT EDIT: Did that get everyone's attention? Maybe by arms being large you meant the cuff openings? Which are non-standard button cuffs instead of the tighter zip sleeves which are the standard on the Sheene. That would be something that would bother me and I would want the tighter to the wrist zip sleeves.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO the fit is within acceptable parameters for a Sheene. I imagine the sleeves are standard Aero Cafe Racer / Sheene sleeves. Any changes might be detrimental unless you go with Vicenza horsehide :cool:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just saw PAWINEGUY's post and missed button cuffs rather than zip sleeves. IMO zip sleeves would be preferable for a Sheene.

XOX

New in Town
Thank you very much everybody for all your answers. You have convinced me, I will stick with size 42 ;)
About the sleeves: I find them too wide around the cuff openings (and as you said the zip sleeves would slim that part down a bit). But I also find them a bit wide around the upper arms and elbows. I tried a standard Cafe Racer in size 40 and size 42 two months ago. With the size 40 the sleeves were too tight around the elbows. But (in my memory) with the size 42 they also felt slimmer around the elbows than with the jacket now (maybe because they are zip sleeves). How much and where would the 2 panel Japanese sleeves slim down the sleeves? Will this modification make the whole sleeves slimmer or only the upper arms?

And one other question: I've seen that some have ordered there Sheene with "August" collar? Is that the standard collar for a Sheene? Or is it the Highwayman Collar? Is there a difference?

Thanks alot for your help

Greetings from Germany

Philipp

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
If you decide to go ahead and order another, to get the slimmer sleeves you have to ask for the 2 panel (Japanese) sleeve,
Just to clarify Aero does not have a 'Japanese sleeve' , not sure where the rumour started but we do occasionally get requests for these mystical sleeves. On the odd occasions we have done a 2 piece sleeve ( which we are not keen on) we simply remove the seam on the under arm panel, the sleeve is not slimmed down.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would keep it!

Honestly, with leather this thick, 0.5" here and there makes no difference. Give it a month of wear and it will mold to you and look great.
0.5" in the sleeve will not make any difference, they will crease and shorten on their own.
I have jackets with 25" , 26", and 27" sleeves, they all reach the same point of my wrist, the longer sleeves have shortened more from creasing, the shorter ones have creased less and stayed the same length.

Regarding the diameter, wider can be better than thinner. My ELMC Californian has very narrow sleeves and they really impact movement and reach.
Even though the jacket has a back swing it really makes reaching forward a pain, just because the biceps are on the tight side.
Once again, once it breaks in you won't notice the width anymore.

If you got a decent deal on this one being on the sales i don't see a reason to spend more for another one. I would recommend you wear this one, see how it works out for you, and when you decide it's time to get a second one (we all know the time will come) use what you have learnt from owning this one to tweak things if need be.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think Denny just reiterated what HD, Peacoat, and others have said: Don't try to reinvent the wheel. o_O Looking at your photos, the only changes I might make, if any, would be to add 1/2" to the body, subtract 1/2" from the sleeves, maybe subtract 1/2" from each side panel, go with zip sleeves, and choose the Vicenza HH. HOWEVER, I would recommend in strong terms that you run any and all changes in sizing through Denny (Hide'n'seek) as he is the expert at Aero, and the rest of us are just enablers. :D

dan_t

Practically Family
A bit late to the party with this one...
I will echo everyone's words here - that is a sensational jacket!!
Honestly, these jackets will look their worst the very first day that you receive them. With each passing season, they will mould to your body and the initial concerns about half an inch here, or half an inch there will long be forgotten once it becomes 'your' jacket.
That one is a killer & I happen to actually like the button cuff on this particular jacket.
Yes, it is based on the café racer, but by adding the Highwayman collar you change the overall appearance of the jacket. In some ways, I'm left thinking that the button cuff actually compliments the collared appearance better than the zip sleeves.

Only you will know if you will be happy wearing it, but from what I can see, I'd loose any thoughts about trading this one and be very, very happy for years to come.
You've done well from the sales pages of Aero.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
They say the enemy of good is better, and that jacket fits pretty damn well.

Sleeves too long are better than too short. Remember to judge how you like it on its own merits, not how someone else's sheene fits them in a photo online.

You're body will change more over the years than that jacket. If it isn't too tight, I wouldn't try to trade in.

I personally think the fallacy of ordering a custom anything is that we'll get perfection. ironically the Aeros I'm most happy with are the ones I bought from someone else, probably because I wasn't agonizing over a 1/4" here and there.

Roma

A-List Customer
With all the mentioned above I would say: +1. The fit looks great. The same size Cafe racer will be much snugger, but it's on your preferences' side, if you like slim fit, you'll definitely loose some comfort. To me the comfort is more important. In your case it doesnt look baggy anywhere, I like the look. But it does look like it has some room for layering which is a good thing too. Another point is the leather. If you like horsehide, yeap, goatskin is different. I like either leather, they are very different but both perfect. And beware, the FQHH version would be +1 or even more kg. Horsehide is much heavier than goatskin.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I posted this on a thread in the sale section and thought it may be of interest here:

Perhaps these slimmer sleeves were available under the previous regime?

I couldn't figure out how to quote it, but this reply from Sloan came up in a search for slim Aero sleeves.

As far as the arms go - if you ask for the Japanese config, they'll know what you mean. Will at the workshop measured around my biceps and said 'yup, you definitely want that'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner