Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero? Simmons Bilt? Looking for my "Forever Leather Jacket"

Chilliwack

New in Town
Can I ask what size you are? There are some pretty good deals on Aero and Thedi jackets in the classifieds. For example I posted an example Thedi style and it appears to be there is a great condition one available if it fits you - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/custom-thedi.109253/#post-2965730

I'd go Aero over Simmons Bilt personally mostly from an ethical standpoint (you can search here or google it for more details). I think Aero's newer 'premier' patterns are nicer fitting than SB too (for the slimmer body types).

In that style, the ELMC Windward is also quite beautiful - https://www.elmc.co/jackets/584-windward-black.html . I think there might be some for sale in the classifieds if you search
Well do keep in mind, I said this would be a reward to myself for my weight loss. So my measurements probably wouldn't be the same as they are now. But I do have my current measurements written down here somewhere. Just gotta find it in all these papers... I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Looks like an idiot here recycled it. I'll take my own measurements later.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero Leathers is a great company with a great product and a fantastic customer service & I am actually surprised to hear there's this hit-or-miss quality talk.

Giles of IRON HEART UK started the rumours among his cult. After he banned Superfluous for mentioning Alexander Leathers’ ethical situation, accusing him of leading a hate campaign against Giles. Someone then said innocently in the same thread that he’s deciding between AL, Aero, and Vanson for his leather jacket and Giles simply replied that the quality will indicate the clear choice (aka AL/SB)

First one looks perfect. Which maker is the 2nd one from, because I have no clue how anyone would allow that to be produced…

Simmons Bilt

Well I'm open to suggestions. But $3000? That's enough to make a down payment on a car. I'd really rather keep it in the low-to-mid range for my first one.

Ignore him. I don’t understand why he’s pushing 2/3k jackets so hard here… especially since if anything they don’t fit most people as well as an Aero or Schott or Lewis.

Chilliwack

New in Town
Can I ask what size you are? There are some pretty good deals on Aero and Thedi jackets in the classifieds. For example I posted an example Thedi style and it appears to be there is a great condition one available if it fits you - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/custom-thedi.109253/#post-2965730

I'd go Aero over Simmons Bilt personally mostly from an ethical standpoint (you can search here or google it for more details). I think Aero's newer 'premier' patterns are nicer fitting than SB too (for the slimmer body types).

In that style, the ELMC Windward is also quite beautiful - https://www.elmc.co/jackets/584-windward-black.html . I think there might be some for sale in the classifieds if you search
Okay. I took my measurements according to Aero's ultra-low-res instructions. :p

Please bear in mind, I'm trying to lose weight, so if all goes well, I'll lose at least 6 inches off my belly.

Height: 5'7.5"
Chest: 49" relaxed, 50" expanded.
Stomach: 53" (Ughhhh...)
Waist: 49"
Sleeve: 24.5"
Desired jacket length: 27"

If suggested, I could just hold off on asking questions until I reach my target weight.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Unless you are in the .00004% you won’t land your “forever jacket” on the first attempt. If by chance you do you’ll stay on TFL, post pics, participate, and then buy 12 more “forever jackets” while simultaneously getting addicted to (choose 1, or 2, or all) really heavy denim, High end impractical foot wear, custom hats.

I urge you to leave now.
Otherwise
Welcome aboard.
This is true. Very true.

Aloysius

Okay. I took my measurements according to Aero's ultra-low-res instructions. :p

Please bear in mind, I'm trying to lose weight, so if all goes well, I'll lose at least 6 inches off my belly.

How tall are you? I just ask because of the “desired length” you put there.

I think the ideal jacket for you is something that has a slight boxy fit that still looks good even after you lose weight, rather than something built to follow your form (which would start looking like that awful Simmons Bilt if you lost six inches.) Aero’s Highwayman could be a great choice, especially if you grab one of the Apprentice models at £400 or so.

Chilliwack

New in Town
How tall are you? I just ask because of the “desired length” you put there.

I think the ideal jacket for you is something that has a slight boxy fit that still looks good even after you lose weight, rather than something built to follow your form (which would start looking like that awful Simmons Bilt if you lost six inches.) Aero’s Highwayman could be a great choice, especially if you grab one of the Apprentice models at £400 or so.
Sorry, I forgot the height. Edited! 5'7.5", though. I have rather short legs. So a longer jacket would just make my legs look even smaller.

Highwayman, huh? Hmm... Well, that does look nice. I like the back. Nice and simple with wide sheets of leather. And I like the "shoulder box" on both sides.

But I kinda had my heart set on an asymmetrical cross-zip style. Or cross button, as the case may be. I have a "center zip" jacket which is kinda nice, but feels a bit boring to me. I dunno. I just like the assymentrical style, though I wouldn't want is loaded with hardware. That's why I was interested in the Hooch Hauler.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
If I were to do it all over gain OP, I’d experiment with second hand jackets to get a feel for what patterns work best.

What I’ve learned from my limited time here is that a jacket that looks appealing, might not be the best fit for your body type.

If you want to go new, I second what some others have said in going with Aero between the two brands you mentioned. Get in touch with Carrie at Thurstons. It‘ll cost you a bit more, but she can guide you through the pattern differences and the fit process.

Good luck!

Aloysius

Sorry, I forgot the height. Edited! 5'7.5", though. I have rather short legs. So a longer jacket would just make my legs look even smaller.

I asked you because the length you gave sounds long, not short. I’m 6’1” and my 26” jacket feels a little long on me. Even accounting for your bulk raising the jacket, which could do an inch at most, that would be an extremely long jacket on you!

Highwayman, huh? Hmm... Well, that does look nice. I like the back. Nice and simple with wide sheets of leather. And I like the "shoulder box" on both sides.

What you’re calling the ‘shoulder box’ is called the yoke. I figured you would like that yoke design.

But I kinda had my heart set on an asymmetrical cross-zip style. Or cross button, as the case may be. I have a "center zip" jacket which is kinda nice, but feels a bit boring to me. I dunno. I just like the assymentrical style, though I wouldn't want is loaded with hardware. That's why I was interested in the Hooch Hauler.

I don’t mean this in a rude way at all, but I think double-breasted styles, whether we’re talking suits or cross-zip/cross-button jackets sort of demand a degree of taper (or the appearance of one through an oversized top portion). I think this would end up meaning that it may be unflattering at your current size, and then unwearable after your weight loss (because the taper will end in a gap, like that SB jacket). A boxier design will look good both ways.

Just my 2 cents. My dad has similar measurements to you so I’ve been working through all this in giving him gifts.

Chilliwack

New in Town
If I were to do it all over gain OP, I’d experiment with second hand jackets to get a feel for what patterns work best.

What I’ve learned from my limited time here is that a jacket that looks appealing, might not be the best fit for your body type.

If you want to go new, I second what some others have said in going with Aero between the two brands you mentioned. Get in touch with Carrie at Thurstons. It‘ll cost you a bit more, but she can guide you through the pattern differences and the fit process.

Good luck!
Hmmm...... I suppose I should check out other patterns. If I spent that much on a cross zip jacket and it ended up looking awful, I'd be pretty bummed.

There's two leather jacket shops in town. It's all cheapo polyester-lined garbage, but I can at least get a feel for what looks best on me.

Chilliwack

New in Town
I asked you because the length you gave sounds long, not short. I’m 6’1” and my 26” jacket feels a little long on me. Even accounting for your bulk raising the jacket, which could do an inch at most, that would be an extremely long jacket on you!

What you’re calling the ‘shoulder box’ is called the yoke. I figured you would like that yoke design.

I don’t mean this in a rude way at all, but I think double-breasted styles, whether we’re talking suits or cross-zip/cross-button jackets sort of demand a degree of taper (or the appearance of one through an oversized top portion). I think this would end up meaning that it may be unflattering at your current size, and then unwearable after your weight loss (because the taper will end in a gap, like that SB jacket). A boxier design will look good both ways.

Just my 2 cents. My dad has similar measurements to you so I’ve been working through all this in giving him gifts.
Nah you're not being rude! I understand. That is a little disappointing, but you're being real with me, which I appreciate. Maybe the situation will change when I shed the pounds...

If a double-breasted jacket won't look good on me, a slick bomber jacket might work too.

And yeah, I do have a rather long torso. It's my legs that are the short part. I'm taller than most men when I'm sitting down, but shorter than most men when I stand up! I'm guessing you have some rather long legs?

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Yeah, a medium wouldn't fit me, even if I slimmed down entirely. That does look nice though, thank you for linking it!
You are welcome

I have had the neck hanging issue with most of the Aero's I've handled. Not with my Board Racer though, probably my shoulder/neck setup is not made for Aero

Or probably Aero's slimmed down 1930s patterns(I have never handled a 1950s Aero - Highwayman, Bootlegger, 1950s half belt) have this issue

On the other hand, I don't remember having this issue in the 2-3 SBs I have temporarily owned. But somehow all the SB jackets have been a bit bigger than I expected

I would suggest going the used route. Try getting a CXL horsehide or Shinki jacket, these are 2 of the most popular leathers, and well worth all the attention they receive

Aloysius

And yeah, I do have a rather long torso. It's my legs that are the short part. I'm taller than most men when I'm sitting down, but shorter than most men when I stand up! I'm guessing you have some rather long legs?

I’m 6” taller than you and have a long torso too, so I think you’re gauging jacket length wrong. Just my opinion though.

There are some jacket types that work with a longer cut, but long cross zips look terrible.

El Marro

I’m 6’1” with a long torso and I like my jackets to be around 26”-27” long. I agree that the OP might be going a little longer than necessary based on his height.
This is something that could be checked out at home right now though. Take a basic jacket you like, a Levi’s jean jacket for instance, and measure the back length to see what it comes out to. Then you will know if 27” is really what you are looking for.

Aloysius

I’m 6’1” with a long torso and I like my jackets to be around 26”-27” long. I agree that the OP might be going a little longer than necessary based on his height.
This is something that could be checked out at home right now though. Take a basic jacket you like, a Levi’s jean jacket for instance, and measure the back length to see what it comes out to. Then you will know if 27” is really what you are looking for.

This is the key really. We’ll often assume numbers but they’re not as clear to us if we don’t have context.

Chilliwack

New in Town
I’m 6” taller than you and have a long torso too, so I think you’re gauging jacket length wrong. Just my opinion though.

There are some jacket types that work with a longer cut, but long cross zips look terrible.
I don't know why everyone thinks that's crazy long! The jacket I wore to measure the length came just past my belt line.

... I must have measured incorrectly. Apologies. This would be so much easier if I could actually go to a quality leather store and try things on.

Aloysius

I don't know why everyone thinks that's crazy long! The jacket I wore to measure the length came just past my belt line.

... I must have measured incorrectly. Apologies. This would be so much easier if I could actually go to a quality leather store and try things on.

Because it's a longish length on guys 6" taller than you. But part of that may be the jacket riding up, or you having a slightly different definition of slightly past the belt line.

The's nothing wrong with a preference for longer jackets, either; it's just that different length preferences lend themselves to different jacket styles.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Height: 5'7.5"

Ok, may feel like a whack on the chin but it's anything but!

Where you're intended weight loss comes from is something you can't decide. When it comes to fat loss your body decides which bit goes first, not you.

I reckon you'd be better off getting to your desired weight/shape first and only then have a serious look at jackets and what style would suit your 'new' shape keeping in mind that shape may change more than you were expecting.

Good luck with it all, you'll get there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21