Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero sizing...???

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Could I get some help with some Aero sizing? I know what Amanda and Will at Aero think, but I wanted to get some replies from folks here who have owned Aero jackets. I'm interested in either an Aero 1930s Half Belt Slimfit jacket or an Aero Stuart jacket. My chest is 39" inhaled and 41" exhaled. I've heard that Aero jackets can run a bit big. Should I go for a size 40 or 42? I want the jacket to look classy, but snug...yet not S & M! What do you guys think, given the styles...size 40 or 42? For reference, I wear a Vanson Comet 44 and a Vanson CHP 40. I'm pretty pleased with those fits...

Thanks for your replies ahead of time ;-) !!!

Dav

One Too Many
Good morning Mojo1975
My chest is 41 exhaled 42.5 inhaled I wear a size 42 highwayman which has room for a jumper underneath if I had wanted a snug fit without room for layering a size 40 would probably be better, I know its a differently cut jacket, just thought it might help.
What do Aero recommend?

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dav said:
Good morning Mojo1975
My chest is 41 exhaled 42.5 inhaled I wear a size 42 highwayman which has room for a jumper underneath if I had wanted a snug fit without room for layering a size 40 would probably be better, I know its a differently cut jacket, just thought it might help.
What do Aero recommend?

Dav,

Aero says that I'm right between a 40 and 42. I like to layer, so I'm thinking the 42...??? Also, given the styles that I'm talking about, I don't think they'd look too hot skin tight... I just don't want to go too big, but not too small either! As we all know, it's a lot of money for these jackets...and we want 'em just right ;-)

JanSolo

Practically Family
I don't know about the Stewart, but the 1930s HB, Cafe Racer, M422a, and A2 1938 contract are the trimmest fitting among Aero's range.
Actually only some of their civilian jackets are a bit roomier (Highwayman, 1950s Bomber, Cheyenne etc.) Their military stuff is quite trim fitting with high armholes and tight sleeves.
If you want to buy a 1930s HB I would recommend a size 40 with an inch added to the body/sleeves depending on how tall you are.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Why not just give aero your measurements, tell them if you want it to fit, tight or lose and the largest item of clothing (with additional measurements) that you plan on wearing with the jacket. Aero will just custom make the jacket to you, rather than you trying to fit into a stock jacket.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I'm about the same size as you (chest true size 42) but I wear a size 40 Vanson Comet. I don't have experience with the Aero Stuart but my Aero Highwayman is also a size 40. It fits rather well but I do not like to layer so YMMV.

Were I in your shoes I'd follow Jan's advice as he has actual experience with the jacket. From what I have seen the LHB fits a lot trimmer than the Highwayman so I think his advice is spot-on.

Edit: I should add that my Comet is armored so that probably adds one size in the chest as the GP armor takes up quite a bit of room in the shoulders.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks a lot guys...I can't believe that I'd be a 40 in anything, as I'm a solid 44 suit size. Yet, I was very, very surprised that I was a 40 in my Vanson CHP (yet, I'm totally stuffed into it...but that's the way I like to wear that style of jacket). It seems that some jackets run pretty true to size, such as the Vanson Comet, while other jackets run a bit big... If this help at all, I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs.

All of your comments have been very, very helpful!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Mojo1975 said:
Could I get some help with some Aero sizing? I know what Amanda and Will at Aero think, but I wanted to get some replies from folks here who have owned Aero jackets. I'm interested in either an Aero 1930s Half Belt Slimfit jacket or an Aero Stuart jacket. My chest is 39" inhaled and 41" exhaled. I've heard that Aero jackets can run a bit big. Should I go for a size 40 or 42? I want the jacket to look classy, but snug...yet not S & M! What do you guys think, given the styles...size 40 or 42? For reference, I wear a Vanson Comet 44 and a Vanson CHP 40. I'm pretty pleased with those fits...

Thanks for your replies ahead of time ;-) !!!

I have the same chest measurements (39" - 41") and my 40" Highwayman is quite loose and I wear it with a shirt and sweater. When I ordered my Aero Californian I was shocked to see it was a 38", but it also turned out to be a loose fit. From my experience with these two styles it seems that the basic sizing and fit does vary with the pattern.

I agree with others that have suggested giving Will your measurements and then explain how you would like the jacket to fit. I wouldn't get too hung up on the actual size tag suggested, Will is very experienced in these matters.

Hope it turns out well.

Cheers

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks so much for your help guys. E-mail has been sent to Amanda at Aero. I hope it all goes well. Amanda has always been great, so I don't know why it wouldn't go very, very well!!!???

Mojo1975 said:
Thanks so much for your help guys. E-mail has been sent to Amanda at Aero. I hope it all goes well. Amanda has always been great, so I don't know why it wouldn't go very, very well!!!???

Discussing sizing directly with Amanda is the way to go.
Style of jacket and what you will be wearing with it are key.

I have a size 43 1/2" chest.
Aero recommended a size 44 jacket...fits just the way I want it to.

On my Cheyenne Amanda recommended going with a size 42...or even a size 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy