Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero sizing??

majormajor

One Too Many
I often read of folks having issues with getting the correct size with Aero jackets.

Here seems to be a good example. The jacket is labelled a "40", and yet, according to the pit-to-pit, it is a "46"!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aero-leat...pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item23279bb1b3

OK, it is the kind of coat that could well be worn as an overcoat, with layers underneath (although there must be a limit as to what weight of clothing you would want with this heavy HH coat on top), but the "40" label does seem a little erroneous to me.

wdw

One Too Many
I would guess that's more of a 42, as Aero seem to go up 8" for the looser jackets IME.Also, 33" seems a little long for a 40.

olworthers

A-List Customer
I've found that you need to take into account the 'fit' of the particular style of jacket, less than then chest size.
I say this based on the experience of buying (and ultimately selling) several used Aero jackets before ordering a new one. I have tried 40, 42 and 44 jackets in different styles and they have all fitted me!

Edward

Bartender
Agreed on fit. The average, high street norm these days for a suit jacket of blazer Size 42 is 46-47" around the chest; fr a casual jacket like a Harrington it's 48". On more expensive / more fitted items, that would be a 44. For a jacket in the style of the link above, which I would expect to be worn as a colder-weather coat - very much an overcoat rather than a light jacket - I would expect 46" to be just about right. Maybe even in a Highwayman - they're a boxy design. Something more fitted like a 30s halfbelt or an A2, I'd expect much less wriggle room - 2" - 4", give or take.

OTish.... : I just wish more people got the notion of tolerance like that.... the number of folks selling on eBay who will merrily list a jacket as being "Size 44" and when you look into it, what they mean is the jacket measures 44 across the chest. I can only assume there are a crazy number of people out there who either are much smaller than they think they are, or aren't able to move in their clothes. Gah..... Anyhow.

majormajor

One Too Many
My rule of thumb for Ebay(which I know others use too) is to double the pit-to-pit, take off 4", and that should equate to your actual chest size.

Obviously, some jackets err from that rule. Lee jackets, for example, tend to be very tapered, so you have to allow a little extra in the pit-to-pit, in order for the waist to be the correct size. And, as you say, Edward, allowances have to be made for "overcoat" type garments.

I guess we should simply view Aero's size labels as a rough guide, rather than anything exact. Pit-to-pit and shoulder-to-shoulder will tell you far more about the fit:D;)

Foster

One of the Regulars
True, the numbers only tell part of the puzzle and the resultant fit is a different matter entirely. I now have two different Aero jackets, made basically the same (44 Long) but the fit is not the same, because the style differs the fit does as well. My Aero Bronco A-2 fits trimly, the 50's half belt is a very loose fit in comparison.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Some makers almost seem to regard their standard measurements as proprietary information. A poor attitude to take when fit is so important to your customers and so much money is at stake. Try to imagine a suit maker taking that stand.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I guess we should simply view Aero's size labels as a rough guide, rather than anything exact. Pit-to-pit and shoulder-to-shoulder will tell you far more about the fit:D;)

Absolutely. I sopped paying any attention to label size (save as a guide, or when I know that is how a jacket hat fits is labelled by a specific manufacturer) long ago. I've also found out the hard way that you also need to check the waist measurement too!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep. The most important advice anyone can give you about size for any jacket is ignore the size label. The truth is in the actual measurements.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that in the future there will be greater uniformity present in regard to Aero sizing now that Ken Calder is back in the saddle at Aero. However, there is variation in sizing between various models that is, I believe, delineated in Aero's website. An Aero Bronco A-2 will not fit like a 50's Half Belt in the same size, nor will a 50's Half Belt be expected to fit like a Stockman or Barnstormer, the latter models sized more as overcoats. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart