Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Wayfarer, Raw Horsehide - Pic Heavy

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
What a great jacket and leather choice! It would be absolutely awesome if you could post update pics by the end of summer to let us know how it will develop.
Do you know if Aero will be making this leather part of their regular inventory? Or is it still on a try-out?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What a great jacket and leather choice! It would be absolutely awesome if you could post update pics by the end of summer to let us know how it will develop.
Do you know if Aero will be making this leather part of their regular inventory? Or is it still on a try-out?
I think if you were to request it would be available. I've seen the Epaulet jackets, a mix of biker, cafe racer and Highwayman styles, and they all look uniformly fantastic, so I can't imagine this is a short run. I suspect the leather may be a cousin of Mister Freedom's campus jacket, though don't hold me to that.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tell me about it. Expect the sound of wailing at some point. I have been looking into how to clean unfinished leather, just in case...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Tell me about it. Expect the sound of wailing at some point. I have been looking into how to clean unfinished leather, just in case...

I think if you start this journey like that you are bound to end up upset...
I would approach it the opposite way, accept the fact that it is going to get messy and get on with it.

Great jacket either way, can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple years.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I am completely relaxed about it, but I also know that there's no allowing for my reaction in the moment.On any jacket, it's always the first scuff that irks me, after that I'm fine. It's the same with a car, you get a scratch on a new car and it's 'hell's bells!', after that I tend to be sanguine, though when you get a mark the full length of the body...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, you definitely hit a home run with your new Wayfarer jacket. It's interesting how the lighter color seems to accentuate the overall lines and accessories in a way the darker colored jacket illustrated on Aero's website does not. Well done and congratulations!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Richard. I deliberately went with darker metalwork for that reason as well, just to give a bit of emphasis. I had thought about a subtle contrast stitching, but decided that would be overkill. There's enough going on with this jacket without me gilding the lily!

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Great jacket, the natural leather is exciting and I'm looking forward to your future updates! Considering your location you may want to keep a plastic bag handy in case you get caught in the rain. Water-spotting leaves pretty noticeable marks on raw leather. Do you have any plans to condition or tan it in the sun?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great jacket, the natural leather is exciting and I'm looking forward to your future updates! Considering your location you may want to keep a plastic bag handy in case you get caught in the rain. Water-spotting leaves pretty noticeable marks on raw leather. Do you have any plans to condition or tan it in the sun?
I'm aiming to let it tan but do it naturally. I've got enough jackets to pick and choose depending on the weather, so I shan't be dashing out with this one when it's bucketing down, certainly not initially. I had an A-2 made from semi-analine buffalo, which soaked up rain like a sponge, but after being caught in a few showers, the water stains joined up and it just became a subtle overall shading.
@regius I'll do some on Saturday. Weather's set to improve by then.

I'm aiming to let it tan but do it naturally. I've got enough jackets to pick and choose depending on the weather, so I shan't be dashing out with this one when it's bucketing down, certainly not initially. I had an A-2 made from semi-analine buffalo, which soaked up rain like a sponge, but after being caught in a few showers, the water stains joined up and it just became a subtle overall shading.
Looking forward to the fit pics! This style doesn’t pop up very often at all. I’d love to do one in navy blue with an August collar, shorten the body a bit. Push the faint 70’s vibe as far as Aero would allow.

SimonR

One of the Regulars
That looks stunning and will look even better once aged a little !! Just looked at the Epaulet versions in natural leather - very tempting :)

Well done !

northcoast

Familiar Face

I asked Carrie @ Thurston specifically about 'tanning' my natural vincenza jacket. She said the best way to do it is to wear it, as the coloration will follow the wear pattern which looks better.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree. Generally, when I've tried to do 'stuff' to jackets - hot water treatment or whatever - the results are always a little so-so. I think with a jacket like this, it's best just to let the jacket develop its character in its own time. I did see the Epaulet vids that show the ones they 'baked' out in the California sun for an afternoon or two, and they look amazing, but looking out at the grey Glasgow morning I can see from my desk just now, it's probably going to take a little longer...
glasgow.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo