Aero Wayfarer, Raw Horsehide - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, Apr 3, 2019.

1. samo

samo One of the Regulars

Nice :)

Sloan1874 likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Probbly too hot down there already for a Celt to be able to cope with leather..... unless hire a bike andstay on the move? I can see the trailer already:

"This is the story of a man on a mission, a mission to alow the sun to age a jacket. But the man isalso a Celt: if he drops below 50mph while still wearing a leather jacket, the temperature will kill him..."

Sort of like Speed, but with a vastly better wardrobe....

3. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

That's the thing about Scotland. Even when the sun is out, it's rarely ever really that warm! I've been caught out in London a few times: left a chilly April Glasgow dressed appropriately, arrived in beautifully warm weather, immediately regretting my choice of jackets... It's like taking a sauna dressed in a suit of armour!

Edward and oneterrifichog like this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've been caught out that way myself too - even in the same place. Used to bedanightmare when I was at Uni; where we ived on the coat, it'd be freezing at 7.45 whenwe left; by the time I got into Belfast at half eight and walked across town to get to the library for nine, I'd be sweating, and then I'd have to carry whatever excess clothes around all day....

I remember getting caught that way one day in Glasgow, leaving early in the morning in my Highwayman, and by the tiem I got to Galashiels three hours later (by bus, back before the Edinburgh-Gala trainline reopened), I had to carry it. Fortunately not one of my heavier leathers. ;)

The Glasgow climate is just about perfect in my esitmation, though; it's one of the things that actually makes Scotland a serious consideration for a retirement destination if London becomes financially unviable.

Sloan1874 likes this.
  5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I want to retire to Orkney!

Graemsay and Edward like this.
  6. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

A lot of people do, but the isolation and hard, hard winters can become too much and they have to move back.

Edward likes this.
  7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Not nearly as tough as Unst...
    Have you ever been up to the Wind Dog Cafe? Those guys have some crazy Shetland Winter stories.
    I’m sure you’re right though...we were there in April, and it was glorious. Plus we had amazing accommodations and lots of Scapa to keep us cozy.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Benny Holiday likes this.
  8. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Honestly, I try not venture north of Aviemore, at the most, between October and April. I still have memories of trying to dig the office transit van out of a snow filled ditch in the teeth of a snow storm. Pitch black, snow whipping me in the face while I hacked at the ice, and my friend, who could drive, revved the van. Madness!

Edward, Benny Holiday and handymike like this.
  9. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

When I was living is London, one year as a last minute decision (as you do) we decided to drive up to Edinburgh for the Hogmanay celebrations, no accomodation, no planning, just throw a few things in the car that morning and go!

By God that was a fun, but cold, night! We thought we knew what cold was living in London during the winter.....this was a whole other level!

Edward and Benny Holiday like this.
  10. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

As a reporter covering the street party for more years than I care to remember, I used to layer up so heavily for the event that I looked like the Michelin Man!

ProteinNerd and Edward like this.
  11. coloradorider

coloradorider One of the Regulars

Thanks for posting this. This jacket is great!

12. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

How's it looking now?

Carlos840, Powerband and ton312 like this.
  13. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, he lives in Scotland, not California, so i'm going to guess that it is still pretty pale looking...
    But pics would be great.

ton312 likes this.
  15. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

With the weather being kind to us over here, I thought I'd dig out the Wayfarer and do some update shots. This is with a fair bit of wear, some soaking, sun-drying and conditioning. It looks not bad at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It's actually a bit more honey-ish in colour, but it's pretty close repro.

17. Mattofumi

Mattofumi New in Town

Wow. That’s an amazing colour. Beautiful.

Sloan1874 likes this.
  18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It is one of those leathers that you have to be completely fearless with. The first few marks feel like physical blows, I won't deny it, but then you just start wearing it out and about and it starts to take on it's character. I think if you live in a hot climate, the change in colour will happen much faster than if you live, say, on the edge of Glasgow, but you can speed up the process with a bit of time and attention. It's a jacket that attracts a lot of positive comments.

dan_t, Fonzie, Mattofumi and 8 others like this.
  19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'll bet. It's turning a beautiful color, and, as predicted, the areas around the pockets and stitching are just starting to show the darkening they'll have soon. It almost looks like suede. One good trip to Spain should do it.

20. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

4C39E20F-5068-4296-9BE0-8411D6486617.gif

That’s a damn nice jacket!

Sloan1874 and dubpynchon like this.