Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Zipper Wavyness

I think the main issue in this thread, or maybe "my" issue is that Aero was picked out - as happens around here.
If it were a generic thread based on the "issue" rather than pointing to one brand, I'd not care as much.
We've all done it at one time or another - jumped on a brand or the makers. I just like to try and keep the stuff like this generic as to not alienate anyone unless it's something specific to a maker...clearly this happens with other makers and has been seen on just about every label.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is an intesresting question, though: given that ideas of perfection vary so strongly (as discussed in Japan/Scotland thread), where do we draw the line? And do we sometimes obsess over things that aren't really flaws.... Or even accept things that are ... in our individual understandings of perfection? Clearly these things are very much an individual notion on some level - not the big stuff like, sake, pockets that don't line up or a faulty zip. Must require tremendous patience on the part of the manufacturer to deal with the likes of us as a customer base!

Given the amount of money we are shelling out for these hunks of dead animal skin, we are entitled to demand superlative construction. However, the better the construction, the finer the line between legitimate defects and undeserved nit-picking. As Edward said, some shortcomings are undeniable defects (e.g., misaligned pockets). Other conditions are debatable. At the end of the day, it is a subjective determination. If one thinks that wavy leather adjacent to the zipper or a few imprecise stitches is an unacceptable deviation from the level of superlative quality necessary to warrant the price, so be it . . . don’t buy the jacket. Of course, you may find yourself so intolerant that no manufacturer satisfies your demands.

IMHO, some conditions are so common among the elite manufacturers that they are necessarily consistent with superlative quality (e.g., an occasional imprecise stitch). The other day, I took my Good Wear Imperial to my local leather tailor to inquire about a small tweak (which I ended up not doing). My leather tailor is a master leather craftsman who has been making leather products for over 40 years (currently, his primary business is handmade leather purses). While contemplating my tweak and carefully inspecting the jacket, my tailor pointed out a tiny lack of symmetry in the stitching at the bottom of the zipper that is only noticeable upon focused study of that particular region of the jacket. One literally must squint and look very carefully to see the minuscule deviation. Although I had not previously noticed this particular lack of symmetry, I had noticed a couple of other ever so slight imprecise stitches – again, imprecision that is only discernible upon focused inspection. The minuscule lack of symmetry pointed out by my tailor did not alter my opinion of the jacket one iota. After all, it is a bench / hand made garment. Therefore, notwithstanding the ever so slight deviations from perfection, it remains superlative. That’s the reality of hand / bench made leather jackets.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I think the main issue in this thread, or maybe "my" issue is that Aero was picked out - as happens around here.
If it were a generic thread based on the "issue" rather than pointing to one brand, I'd not care as much.
We've all done it at one time or another - jumped on a brand or the makers. I just like to try and keep the stuff like this generic as to not alienate anyone unless it's something specific to a maker...clearly this happens with other makers and has been seen on just about every label.

I have numerous pics of original M-422a's & G-1's that had this issue so is nothing specific to any manufacturer or a new development.. It's just something that happens when dealing with natural animal hides. You just have to be aware during construction & try to work with it the best you can.

Benj

One of the Regulars
The reason why I mentioned Aero explicitly is that I am interested in owning an Aero jacket at some point, and I'd seen this enough times that I became curious enough to ask the question. At this point it's the only thing that makes me hesitant. Thanks to Thurston Bros, I see a bunch of Aero jackets on here, so it's easy to notice these things.

Also, for the most part, other brands have enough things that I don't like that I don't even feel the need to mention something as small as the leather around the zipper - even if that area is perfect, I'm not going to buy the jacket anyway...

IXL

One Too Many
......... my tailor pointed out a tiny lack of symmetry in the stitching at the bottom of the zipper that is only noticeable upon focused study of that particular region of the jacket. .......

Do you by chance wear a size 40? If so, I'd counsel you to immeadiately put that piece of crap in the classifieds, cheap.....or you could just PM me.....

The reason why I mentioned Aero explicitly is that I am interested in owning an Aero jacket at some point, and I'd seen this enough times that I became curious enough to ask the question. At this point it's the only thing that makes me hesitant. Thanks to Thurston Bros, I see a bunch of Aero jackets on here, so it's easy to notice these things.

Also, for the most part, other brands have enough things that I don't like that I don't even feel the need to mention something as small as the leather around the zipper - even if that area is perfect, I'm not going to buy the jacket anyway...

I was just confused based on the other post you made on Aero before. See "Aero vs Shinki, 2016" ;)

Benj

One of the Regulars
Haha, it's true that I really don't like Aero's heavy CXL stuff. Other than being too damn hot here in LA (you should know!), I don't want to wear clothes that feel like they're wearing me, you know? I actually feel the same about denim. I think that you can get the best looking stuff when it's a normal weight.

That said, Aero's Vicenza looks amazing. I think it's probably my favorite leather, after other Shinki I've seen/felt. Still haven't felt Vicenza in person, just going off pics.

Haha, it's true that I really don't like Aero's heavy CXL stuff. Other than being too damn hot here in LA (you should know!), I don't want to wear clothes that feel like they're wearing me, you know? I actually feel the same about denim. I think that you can get the best looking stuff when it's a normal weight.

That said, Aero's Vicenza looks amazing. I think it's probably my favorite leather, after other Shinki I've seen/felt. Still haven't felt Vicenza in person, just going off pics.
Yeah, I get it. I've also not handled the Vicenza in person either. Looks great, so I'm sure it is based on posts here.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Ask my wife, I develop buyer's remorse on a lot of expensive things . Usually I'll get over it. Even some of my Lost Worlds jackets have had some flaws. But very minor ones. Usually it is the fit that is going to bother me the most and make me pass a jacket on. I have never had nor seen an Aero but I am tempted, I really want a Teamster....

Edward

Bartender

Yeah, I can see FQHH being overkill in LA much of the year (even though it's nowhere near as heavy as some folks like to make out. After five years, my Bootlegger feels as soft as midweight horse). The Vicenza is lovely stuff. Different than Shinki, but it really is a matter of personal preference rather than either one being objectively 'better'.

StrykerMontana

New in Town
Hi there! I have a horsehide jacket that would stand up on it's own when it was new. The pocket zippers had a little wave to them at first but disappeared after a long hard winter of wearing it around the house and to bed for months trying to break it in. A few miles on the bike at speed loosened it up over time. About a year of hard use and the leather is straight as an arrow and much, much more enjoyable. I think, perhaps, the pressure sewing in the zippers created this and was amplified by folding the jacket up for shipping. It got much better over time to the point you couldn't see it. It never popped a zipper or created any stick. Good luck!

Hi there! I have a horsehide jacket that would stand up on it's own when it was new. The pocket zippers had a little wave to them at first but disappeared after a long hard winter of wearing it around the house and to bed for months trying to break it in. A few miles on the bike at speed loosened it up over time. About a year of hard use and the leather is straight as an arrow and much, much more enjoyable. I think, perhaps, the pressure sewing in the zippers created this and was amplified by folding the jacket up for shipping. It got much better over time to the point you couldn't see it. It never popped a zipper or created any stick. Good luck!
It's just Montana man. You aren't going to be a wrinkled sissy jacket in Big Sky country...no how, no way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points