Aero's battered hides verse Aero's tumbled hides what is the differences

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonbuilder, Jan 17, 2020.

1. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

As the title says I am asking what the difference between Aero's battered and tumbled hides

2. ton312

ton312

Good question. From what I can tell the tumbled hides are just that, standard CXL given a tumble (in a drum?) to speed up the break-in. The battered hides look more mottled, show a bit more color range. Not sure if it’s a result of tanning or a post tanning process though.

AlexB, dan_t and jonbuilder like this.
  3. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

From what I have heard, it's the same exact stuff, only put through a mechanical tumbling process which speeds up the break-in process and brings out the grain and texture of the hides a bit more. Un-tumbled CXL will be stiffer, and have a smoother, more regular appearance when new, but over time through natural wear and use will develop much the same characteristics as the tumbled stuff. It's sometimes mentioned that tumbled isn't as heavy (thick), perhaps that's true I don't know, but if so I imagine that would be due to what hides they are selecting to put through the process, not a result of the process somehow reducing the thickness of the hides.

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

+1

Tumbled is just regulr CXL that has been tumbled in big wooden drums for x amount of time untill grain appears.
    It's basically breaking in the hides before they are used. From what i have seen intensity of the effect varies a lot. I had a black tumbled CXL Original Hercules for a bit and that looked like "regular" CXL to me, but i have seen some tumbled posted here that were super grainy from the start.

Battered i don't know, it looks like a different process is applied to it.
    I think it would be called oil pulled? I am not a fan of it, to me it looks like sofa/couch leather:

[​IMG]

ShanghaiJack and jonbuilder like this.
  5. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

I had the battered leather on a Dustbowl recently, while certainly not as heavy as CXL it was substantial enough for me, .. I really liked it, and would have no issue getting a jacket made in it again.
    As Carlos says It does have some oil pull-up and it is mottled but it evens out with some wear..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShanghaiJack and AeroFan_07 like this.
  6. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Thank you for your reply Boyo. I picked an almost new dustbowl off the bay last month in battered CXL steer. The hide is looser than new CXL horse, without the shine or smoothness and without that mold to the wearer's body that CXL horse will develop. My battered steer dustbowl has not been worn enough to have molded to anyone body but I do not anticipate it will mold to me no matter how much wear I give it.

Boyo likes this.
  7. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible A-List Customer

I tried on a tumbled cordo bootlegger at Aero, it was nice how soft and grainy the thick hide had got but ultimately I felt it was overdone; I was unsure what I could add to that. It was like they had turned on the tumbler machine, decided to go for a pint early on a Friday and only discovered the wrinkled wonder hide on the Monday.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  8. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

Tumbled is the same as standard CXL, just, umm, tumbled. It’s the same weight, with a softer hand and 1,000,000 times more comfortable out of the box (ok, that will be a bit subjective ;) )

ive just received my first jacket made from a tumbled hide & I LOVE it.
    Can highly recommend.
    Now, the battered is a different finish altogether.

9. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Nice photos there!

10. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Boyo did you post fit photos? Would love to see, I just ordered one in black tumbledCXL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyo likes this.
  11. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible A-List Customer

Many in the 30 day challenge thread

Boyo likes this.