Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft Question

I don't think a Squatter has enough crown to do a decent Alpine/Cattleman crease. If it is a DM Squatter maybe so but not the Oz ones that I have had.
OR's came out in very late 40's in the config we know it. The first incarnation was a wide ribbon fedora that disappeared only to reappear as bound edged, thin ribboned icon we know & love now.
Campdraft is the vintage spec'ed OR that Akubra made for Stetson under license for Oz.
I wear my CD Deluxe in an Arena style crease =
IMG_20130818_114158_952.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Abraham - the short answer is yes, the Campdraft looks good in a cattleman crease on a big head, in my opinion, much more so than Stetson's recent low-crowned Open Roads. The CD has enough crown to put in a taller cattleman crease, like you would have seen in the 50s or 60s, with a pretty straight block profile, which looks better with a long or big face. When I tried the new Stetson OR, it looked like I was wearing a porkpie hat. I'm also a 7 7/8. To the other remarks, other than the sweatband, I see very little increase in quality with the upgrade to Deluxe from Akubra. If it's only $39 difference now, that's worth it to me to get a more comfortable sweatband, which the deluxe does have. The regular one isn't bad, though, and is twice as good as any recent Stetson sweat I've owned. I found the deluxe felt a bit heavier, which is not good in my neck of the woods. Your mileage may vary. Frank.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I don't think a Squatter has enough crown to do a decent Alpine/Cattleman crease. If it is a DM Squatter maybe so but not the Oz ones that I have had.
OR's came out in very late 40's in the config we know it. The first incarnation was a wide ribbon fedora that disappeared only to reappear as bound edged, thin ribboned icon we know & love now.
Campdraft is the vintage spec'ed OR that Akubra made for Stetson under license for Oz.
I wear my CD Deluxe in an Arena style crease =
IMG_20130818_114158_952.jpg

That really is a good looking bash. It looks like the sort of hat/bash that no one could take issue with. It's good looking, it wouldn't be viewed as a indy/poseur hat by anyone and it looks like it would be effective for both sun and cold control...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frank, question for you: I have the same size noggin and was wondering if a teardrop bash on a CD would look okay, or is the crown too short for that? I've always wondered what the best bashes would be for us Martian-brained types.

frussell

One Too Many
Campdraft has enough crown for just about any crease. I've put mine in cattleman, teardrop, diamond, and assorted western creases much like Mr. Dean. Akubras do take well to re-shaping, so it's hard to go wrong, as any crease that doesn't suit you can be changed. Try one. Worst case scenario, you have to sell it to another big head like me. There are a few of us. Frank

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I really appreciate the input. Where's the hot place for an Americano to buy a Akubra Campdraft? Are all suppliers pretty much the same? Thanks again.

Frank, question for you: I have the same size noggin and was wondering if a teardrop bash on a CD would look okay, or is the crown too short for that?
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, as they say, here are my Campdrafts--Silverbelly on the left, Taupe Fawn on the right, both with Teardrop creases:

Campdrafts_01_zps3c2af9e0.jpg

And here they are on my noggin:

Campdrafts_02_zps44479379.jpg

I like my crowns a little lower than most, but I think the Campdraft looks great with a Teardrop crease.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. Where's the hot place for an Americano to buy a Akubra Campdraft? Are all suppliers pretty much the same? Thanks again.
I think most of us have purchased our Akubras from Hats Direct/The Hattery and/or Everything Australian. Everything Australian's Akubras are usually less expensive, but if they're sold out of the hat you want in your size it can take up to three months for them to get it for you; Hats Direct/The Hattery appears to have more capacity to maintain their stock. So sometimes that's the trade-off--save some cash and be patient, or pay more and get your hat sooner. Other than that, I've received excellent service from both companies and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, as they say, here are my Campdrafts--Silverbelly on the left, Taupe Fawn on the right, both with Teardrop creases:

Campdrafts_01_zps3c2af9e0.jpg

And here they are on my noggin:

Campdrafts_02_zps44479379.jpg

I like my crowns a little lower than most, but I think the Campdraft looks great with a Teardrop crease.

I think most of us have purchased our Akubras from Hats Direct/The Hattery and/or Everything Australian. Everything Australian's Akubras are usually less expensive, but if they're sold out of the hat you want in your size it can take up to three months for them to get it for you; Hats Direct/The Hattery appears to have more capacity to maintain their stock. So sometimes that's the trade-off--save some cash and be patient, or pay more and get your hat sooner. Other than that, I've received excellent service from both companies and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

I hope this helps!
these babies are nice

these babies are nice
Thanks, I like 'em. The nice things about the Campdraft are that the crown is tall enough to accept just about any crease the owner can think of (within reason), the brim is wide enough to provide a decent amount of sun/rain/snow protection without looking too much like a western hat, and the thin ribbon gives it a more casual appearance so it can be worn with almost anything that's less "dressy" than a suit (and maybe even then); it's just a nice, all-around hat. And yes, I'm aware I'm stating the obvious. :D

addison

One of the Regulars
Hello all,
I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green.
Questions:

1. Is everythingaustralian.com the best source to order from for this item? Their price is AU $130 + shipping.
2. I see that they have a place on their online order form for a coupon code...what kind of discounts can I get from them if any? How can I get the best deal please?

Does the CD have a snap brim?

Thanks!

Hello all,
I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green.
Questions:

1. Is everythingaustralian.com the best source to order from for this item? Their price is AU $130 + shipping...
As far as I know, the Bluegrass Green Campdraft is an Everything Australian exclusive. So it's not just the best source, it's the only source.

...Does the CD have a snap brim?
Yes.

Sorry, I can't help you with the coupon code question.

Hello all,
Questions:

1. Is everythingaustralian.com the best source to order from for this item? Their price is AU $130 + shipping.
2. I see that they have a place on their online order form for a coupon code...what kind of discounts can I get from them if any? How can I get the best deal please?

Does the CD have a snap brim?

Thanks!

EA runs a sale a couple of times a year. Sign up for their email. The last one was in July, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto