Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jpbales said:
I ordered a Taupe Fawn Campdraft from HatsDirect several weeks ago and I've been keeping it to myself...I'm also curious about the sweatband as well, if it's the same as the Fed standard one or if it's the same as the deluxe one. Thanks!

jp, mine is the same as that which came in my FED IV so I bet it is safe to say that is normal production. In another thread recently (don't remember which) several folks have said their Imperial felts have come with the same sweat as the Deluxe. I wouldn't bet on that being the norm though.

Congratulations on the order; I think you will really like it. I enjoy mine and wear it frequently.

jpbales

Practically Family
I would have ordered from EA, but their site said it had a 3 month wait... I guess that wasn't really the case and now I'm waiting for mine to come still. :rage: and it cost more too!

billyspew said:
Ordered my Campdraft in Taupe Fawn last Wednesday, from Everything Australian and they luckily had it in my size. It arrived yesterday (well I wasn't in so I had to pick up from the post office this morning) and wore it today.
This is my first Akubra and I have to say I am very impressed, felt feels great and I was able to dry bash and wear within seconds. I might now order one in a grey, but might wait to see what the Bluegrass Green looks like first.

Pic in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today? thread.

Bill

jpbales

Practically Family
thanks for the info! I'll be happy with the regular felt and the regular sweatband, i'm just curious and exited about my new toy :p

Mr. Paladin said:
jp, mine is the same as that which came in my FED IV so I bet it is safe to say that is normal production. In another thread recently (don't remember which) several folks have said their Imperial felts have come with the same sweat as the Deluxe. I wouldn't bet on that being the norm though.

Congratulations on the order; I think you will really like it. I enjoy mine and wear it frequently.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JP, you decided to go with the Campdraft instead of the ring for your lovely lady? Or did you find a way to do both? ;)

jpbales

Practically Family
haha I did both

:D
My campdraft just got here and I've been working on it for a bit. I'm going to post a little review/report here in a few mins.

BobC said:
JP, you decided to go with the Campdraft instead of the ring for your lovely lady? Or did you find a way to do both? ;)

jpbales

Practically Family
Campdraft Taupe Fawn

My Taupe Fawn arrived today, and here's all that I have to say about it (being a detailed-oriented person). This may help people considering the Campdraft as a future hat.

Felt:
The first thing I noticed as I pulled it out of the box is that the felt was pretty stiff at first. After handling it for just a little while it has already softened up.
The felt is a LOT less fuzzy then my Federation IV Standard was when I first received it. I sanded it down with a 1500 grit sand paper and it only helped a little.
There is one teeny flaw/discoloration in the felt under the brim which is difficult to even spot. It didn't even show until I started sanding it.

Sweat: appears the same as the Federation IV Standard's.

Ribbon:
One of the tails of the ribbon is longer than the other (similar to what many others here have noticed about their Campdrafts). I wonder if they're doing it like that on purpose now.
The brim binding and ribbon work seems great. A very few little strings hanging out, which I easily cut off with a little pair of scissors.

HatsDirect Customer Service:
The customer service was pretty good, excluding the fact that it took them longer to get the hat in stock than they originally told me it would. I told them what color I wanted and my size (59.5 LO) and they told me they would block it to a long oval, which I think they did (although it still touches my forehead). The hat arrived exactly 7 days after they sent me the e-mail saying it was shipped. They quoted me 5-10 days for shipping.

and now, pictures of course!
DSC01830.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

here's the ribbon:
DSC01833.jpg

and here's the felt discoloration:
DSC01835.jpg

I would usually be upset about something like that, but it's just about invisible anyway.

Anyway, I haven't yet bashed the hat, which I plan on doing next. Eventually I'll get some pics of it on my melon.

Dundee

A-List Customer
Great hat

JP you will love the Camp Draft. I have a silver belly and I have a mid brown in the works. I hope to have it soon. Congratulations on a great hat. Welcome to the Camp Draft Confederacy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jpbales

Practically Family
thank you!

so I'm part of the Campdraft Confederacy and also the thin ribbon club too! I've got it bashed into a c-crown with a tug. pics coming eventually

Dundee said:
JP you will love the Camp Draft. I have a silver belly and I have a mid brown in the works. I hope to have it soon. Congratulations on a great hat. Welcome to the Camp Draft Confederacy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Looks good JP. My Glen Grey has same length front ribbon that I trimmed. Silver Belly was about right length, used it as a guide. Like Dundee, I am waiting on a mid-brown. That Taupe-Fawn looks sweet & may consider one of those. Watch out = thin ribbons are addicting!

twilson66

New in Town
Got mine last Thursday...same color and all. My ribbon is was the same way..since this picture was taken I trimmed it to the same length as the other side.

akubracampfawn006.jpg

fawncampdraft.jpg

this was my first time bashing my own from a open crown and I was amazed how easy it was!
Now my silverbelly should be here this week...I'll try a teardrop on it.

RBH

Bartender
twilson66 said:
Got mine last Thursday...same color and all. My ribbon is was the same way..since this picture was taken I reimmed it to the same length as the other side.

akubracampfawn010.jpg

this was my first time bashing my own from a open crown and I was amazed how easy it was!
Looks great!!
You may want to push the wind cord down towards the brim.
To tighten the cord push the button towards the back of the hat.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
twilson66 said:
Got mine last Thursday...same color and all. My ribbon is was the same way..since this picture was taken I trimmed it to the same length as the other side.
Now my silverbelly should be here this week...I'll try a teardrop on it.
Nice job with the bash, twilson66...looks great. And JP, I can't see the discoloration, so probably nothing to worry about. I like the taupe fawn and the contrasting, slightly darker ribbon...if my silverbelly weren't en route from Australia, I might join you both. But I'll restrain myself for now.

JP, I had the opposite situation with Hats Direct--they told me late April and it was ready 2-3 weeks earlier. The vagaries of production and shipping, I imagine. Enjoy your new hats, gentlemen!

No Hat for You...at least not yet....

As I posted earlier, I asked EA about the status of my Mid-Brown Campdraft ordered on December 11 & this is what I got back...
"I rang up Akubra to see what happened to your hat, and they told me that your hat came off the production line not 100% perfect so it is being redone. I expect to have your new hat in a week or so, once I get it I will send it immediately and you will be emailed upon its despatch.

I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused."
When I expressed my dismay, I got back this lame excuse...
"I am very sorry that you are unsatisfied with our service. Please keep in mind that we have many hats on order with Akubra and cannot always keep tabs on every hat, we should have checked up on this hat earlier but we did not, I am sorry for that. As I said earlier the hat was ordered on time but Akubra simply experienced a technical issue when making the hat and it didn't come out perfectly, so they will make it again, it really shouldn't take too much longer. I am very sorry that you were not told of this delay earlier but we only found out this information today."

Why are they only becoming aware of delays after I had to ask?:rage:
I am reevaluating the future of my business with EA dispite their great prices.

Another update...

I guess Jason has taken over emails at EA for Sam. He replied back again apologizing for letting Akubra let my order slip thru the cracks & is sending me a "collector's pin" for my troubles. I did suggest they upgrade my shipping to hurry that part along but no response to that.
I still find it hard to believe that I ordered 2 hats from EA, one in Nov & one in Dec, but Hats Direct got me a color that didn't even exist when I placed those orders in less time. I know Akubra does not do single hat orders, so I guess Hats Direct got them to run a Glen Grey batch thru in front of Mid-Brown? Too confusing...[huh]

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
I guess Jason has taken over emails at EA for Sam. He replied back again apologizing for letting Akubra let my order slip thru the cracks & is sending me a "collector's pin" for my troubles. I did suggest they upgrade my shipping to hurry that part along but no response to that.
I still find it hard to believe that I ordered 2 hats from EA, one in Nov & one in Dec, but Hats Direct got me a color that didn't even exist when I placed those orders in less time. I know Akubra does not do single hat orders, so I guess Hats Direct got them to run a Glen Grey batch thru in front of Mid-Brown? Too confusing...[huh]
I haven't ordered from EA yet but this would certainly make me think twice...sorry to hear about this frustrating experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko