Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
New Silverbelly Campdraft

Ok, I just posted these images on the New Hats thread, but thought I'd post them here too, if only to bump this thread up to page 1 again.

I've been wearing the Campdraft for about a week and love it...this is better than my Fed, I think, and out of the ballpark compared to my new Stetsons. It actually reminds me of the Adam Executive I bought from Johnnyphi quite a lot. The felt is very easy to work with...the bash below is dry, with the exception of the front pinch, which took just a little steam to hold it. The color is definitely tan/beige...I see little silver/gray, which is fine with me. And the ribbon and wind cord arrived in perfect shape.
P1010007_4.jpg

P1010006_5.jpg

P1010005_5.jpg

P1010003_3.jpg

P1010004_4.jpg

I love this hat...perfect color, perfect fit (with a little foam that will come out as the hat conforms to my head). I see more of these in my future.

But...

As I suggested in an earlier post, I'm not sure I pull off the thin ribbon as well as some of you; I tend to prefer the traditional wide grosgrain ribbon. So, I'm thinking of adding a 1 1/2" medium brown/milk chocolate grosgrain ribbon to make this look even more like a lid from the 30s or 40s. Here's my shot of what it would look like:
P1010002_5.jpg

Beyond the blasphemy I've just exposed thin ribbon aficionados to, what do you think?

Thanks...and Chuck, get a Campdraft.
Steve

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
Steve

jazzncocktails, the Campdraft looks great! I have 2 CD's, a grey and tawny. I avoided the silverbelly originally, I thought it was a little light. But, the sb is really a great color.

IMG_3440-1.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
P1010002_5.jpg

Beyond the blasphemy I've just exposed thin ribbon aficionados to, what do you think?

Blasphemy? I forgive you my son - I think it rocks :eusa_clap! I also think that you pull off the thin ribbon just fine, Jazz, but I do understand your ribbon conundrum.... I do, I do ;).

jpbales

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
But...

As I suggested in an earlier post, I'm not sure I pull off the thin ribbon as well as some of you; I tend to prefer the traditional wide grosgrain ribbon. So, I'm thinking of adding a 1 1/2" medium brown/milk chocolate grosgrain ribbon to make this look even more like a lid from the 30s or 40s. Here's my shot of what it would look like:
P1010002_5.jpg

Steve

It does look pretty good with a wide ribbon, but I can't say that it looks any worse with a thin one either [huh]

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Chuck Bobuck said:
jazzncocktails, the Campdraft looks great! I have 2 CD's, a grey and tawny. I avoided the silverbelly originally, I thought it was a little light. But, the sb is really a great color.

IMG_3440-1.jpg
My mistake...thought you were considering your first. That Glen Grey looks great on you!

twilson66

New in Town
I've had mine for only a few weeks but its already my favorite...it is also notably softer right out of the box than my fawn campdraft.

silverbellycampdraft006.jpg

twilson66

New in Town
RBH said:
What will you wear for the summer? Or do you think the Camp Draft will do?

I have my Dobbs Capri:

dobbssha020.jpg

a old no name panama that means more to me than any other:

fawncampdraft003.jpg

stetson retro panama:
stetsonretropanama013.jpg

sunbody:
sunbody3.jpg

I think Ill get a 3" brimmed sunbody since I belive the 3" brims suit me better.

Dundee

A-List Customer
GT, my mid brown Camp Draft is on the way also. I am like you, I had hoped that it would come sooner. I feel it will be too warm to wear in the humid and warm weather we usually have here in Georgia. I know I will enjoy the hat when it comes. :eek:fftopic: They told me that my Squatter will be shipped May 1st. I know it will have to wait for cooler weather.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
bluegrass

Hey gang, long time lurker, first time poster.
Big fan of the campdraft and pleased to see it's being worn so widely!

Just thought I'd mention that I was trawling through a small menswear store in Dubbo in regional Australia recently and came across a stack of around a dozen dusty bluegrass-green campdrafts tucked away on the top shelf.

They were clearly old stock and were selling for $80aus...which i guess is about $60US. The green is a really nice looking hat but sadly they didn't have a size 60 for me and the larger size looked a tad silly.

"Blowes menswear Dubbo" they were called if anyone's in desperate need of a discontinued lid. It was just a small cowboy store but I'm sure they'd mail one if you asked.

It always pays to check the top shelf!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful news Elvisroe..."EverythingAustralian.com" put in a special order of that color for us a month or so ago, but it's a 3 month wait for them.
...Oh yes...Welcome to the lounge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW