Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Only 6 showing interest in a special order black CD with the 2 5/8 brim so far. I expect we could need 4 or 5 times as many to make this a go, if Akubra agreed to do it.

It may not work out, but it they'd put Fedora Lounge on the sweat, I'd probably get two. One to wear and one for putting away as a collector's item.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I'm in the camp with gtdean48 and jhee888. I'd like a Campdraft with a 2 5/8" brim, but black doesn't do it for me. Duper I do appreciate you getting the ball rolling though. I'd like to see the same in a Tawny Fawn or even a Silverbelly. I've got the Silverbelly Deluxe, but a narrower brim would be sweet!

viclip

Practically Family

I'm not hung up on black, altho black's fine by me. I do like Casehopper's suggestion of an out-of-the-ordinary color esp. black cherry. If we're special ordering a bunch of Campdrafts then why not opt for something unique?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Well, we may not be able to get enough buyers together for a black one. If not, we can always commission Art to make us one. But the Fed Lounge printing would have been cool.

viclip

Practically Family
Here are Akubra's most common color swatches:

http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-colour-swatch-card.pdf

The Lagoon Blue & Quartz (resembling the American/Canadian Silverbelly colour) would make for distinctive OR's which could be worn anywhere.

The only Campdraft colors currently available per the EA & Hats Direct sites are Taupe Fawn, the Australian version of Silverbelly (our Sand?), Glen Grey, Moonstone Grey & Bluegrass Green. I suppose I could acquire an existing color & trim the brim to 2-5/8 or whatever, but there's something to be said for ordering the hat in a special colour that no one else has.

milliedog

Familiar Face
I like the idea of a loden or carbon grey. Is it possible for Akubra to resurrect older colors they no longer use? People have mentioned willow green in other Akubra threads. I have not seen this color but if it is anything like bluegrass green that may be something to consider. The BG CD I have has become my favorite. As an aside the news here in Australia is reporting the Aussie dollar will fall to $.80 on the US$ in the coming year. That would be a very cheap Campdraft indeed.

Duper

Practically Family
I believe any colour choice made would have to be pulled from the standard colours that Akubra now uses. Black, taupe fawn, graphite grey etc. Moonstone or glen grey I am going to assume fall under Hats Direct's private stock to sell.

We can let this simmer a bit still, but anything too elaborate in a style change or not based on an Akubra stock choice for colours is probably not going to fly. We have to hit a broad audience to get the required numbers.

So to paraphrase Mr. Spock, " The good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one".

I have a Banjo Patterson in Graphite Grey that many would consider to be black and I get lots of compliments on it. That is what intrigued me about a CD in black initially.

Hats Direct lists the "Campdraft Deluxe" in Heritage Grade felt, but offers only Silverbelly and Moonstone as the color choices.
Like the Federation, the Heritage grade Campdraft Deluxe is an exclusive of Hats Direct.
They did the Fedora Lounge special run of the Silverbelly CD Deluxe & then offered the Moonstone option.
We tried initially for Moonstone but could only get Silverbelly done.
I guess they saw the response & decided to push it through.
My least-worn CD is the Mid-Brown. It is a nice color but I have a Sears Pilgrim close in shade that gets the noggin time.
When it gets here, a Mink Premiere Strat will take up time as well.
The Black Premiere Strat would be my choice for a black lid with the shorter brim length if I was so inclined.
Now a Taupe Fawn 2 5/8" brimmed CD would be interesting to me....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy