Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Anybody still interested in a grey Campdraft?

Hallelujah! Hats Direct has broadened their fedora offerings and colors they keep in stock.

And look what they now stock in a Campdraft:

campdraft-glengrey-large.jpg

lordcharles

New in Town
Brim size too large?

I'm expecting my Campdraft any day now, but I wonder has anyone found the brim size too be too wide for them? I have an Akubra Squatter and the brim seems quite wide at 3'', but I'm hoping that the Campdraft's higher crown will make it seem more in proportion.

Steve

kaosharper1

One Too Many
lordcharles said:
I'm expecting my Campdraft any day now, but I wonder has anyone found the brim size too be too wide for them? I have an Akubra Squatter and the brim seems quite wide at 3'', but I'm hoping that the Campdraft's higher crown will make it seem more in proportion.

Steve

My Campdraft has a 2 5/8" brim.

JohnnyB53 said:
Hallelujah! Hats Direct has broadened their fedora offerings and colors they keep in stock.

Pulled that trigger. Now to see if it beats the other ones I ordered from EA to my house! That would be very strange that a color that wasn't even offered back in November may reach me before one that did. We'll see!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
lordcharles said:

Steve

Steve, I just got my first Campdraft a couple of weeks ago. I think that you are right. Even though the Campdraft is an OR clone, my impression is that the hat is slightly larger---in every dimension---than an Open Road. It seems to have a higher crown, a wider brim and it certainly fits larger than its tagged size. But having said this, it also seems to be proportioned as nicely as an OR.

AF

Atticus Finch said:
.... Even though the Campdraft is an OR clone, my impression is that the hat is slightly larger---in every dimension---than an Open Road. It seems to have a higher crown, a wider brim and it certainly fits larger than its tagged size. But having said this, it also seems to be proportioned as nicely as an OR.
AF
Yep, compared to a modern OR, Campdraft definitely has a higher crown, more like the vintage OR's, which is VERY good, IMHO. The brim is slightly larger because 70mm is a touch over 2 3/4" which is width of my 2 modern Stetson OR's. Guess being metric, they get a little more brim which goes good with the taller crown.

Viper Man

Banned
JohnnyB53 said:

Nice. This is crazy but I just checked their website yesterday to see if the grey Campdraft was available yet (it wasn't). Now there is a note on their page saying they will be available at the end of February.

I am considering ordering one if the boss approves but after seeing Boxerken's VS, I am really tempted to start saving my pennies again!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
I would love a 2 5/8" brim on a Campdraft. Where'dja get it?

Hats Direct back in September. It just came that way. I have to admit that I just assumed it was the standard brim. Maybe we should ask about that. It was also silverbelly when they didn't offer that on the web site. Maybe it was an older run?

Also, I have a vintage Stratoliner, and my Campdraft is definitely a taller hat.

lordcharles

New in Town
Worried

Oh Dear

Now I'm worried. I take a 56 in my Federations, albeit with a tiny bit of stretching. My Squatter 57 is just a little too big..Just a little. BUT Jenny at Everything Australian urged me to go for a 57 Campdraft and if they come up big it's going to be like bucket on a tent pole!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
lordcharles said:
Oh Dear

Now I'm worried. I take a 56 in my Federations, albeit with a tiny bit of stretching. My Squatter 57 is just a little too big..Just a little. BUT Jenny at Everything Australian urged me to go for a 57 Campdraft and if they come up big it's going to be like bucket on a tent pole!

Don't worry. Just wear your Akubra in the rain a few times, or wear it on a few long hikes so as to "sweat it up" once or twice. It'll soon fit very nicely.

AF

kaosharper1

One Too Many
lordcharles said:
Oh Dear

Well, the funny thing about hat sizing charts is that the translations are not exact. I have a 23" head which is exactly an American 7 3/8. Almost all charts show that a 7 3/8 is 59 centimeters, but if you do the actual metric conversion you'll see that 59 centimeters equals about 23.25" so all my Akubras have run large. 58 centimeters is 22 7/8" so in some ways I should have ordered 58s for my Akubras but because I'm a round oval, I do prefer the 59s.

Atticus Finch said:
Don't worry. Just wear your Akubra in the rain a few times, or wear it on a few long hikes so as to "sweat it up" once or twice. It'll soon fit very nicely.
AF
:arated: or you could moisten the sweatband & let it dry on your head. Leather draws when it dries. Thats why a hat will be tighter if you take it off your head after perspiring & let it dry...also the reason I have 3 hat stretchers!!!...

lordcharles

New in Town
Advice

Far be it from me to bring Lord of the Rings lnto this dimension on a normal basis, but there is a line that I think is fitting - 'Go not to the elves for councel, for they will say both yes and no.'

Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot