Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Coober Pedy colors

Pipeman

New in Town
Congratulations on your new cover! I've had the moss green one for a few years, now. That shade of green goes surprisingly well with many different jackets. It keeps the drizzle off my head and neck while steelhead fishing or just a stylish cover while out & about. I hope that you have many years of satisfaction wearing it.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your new cover! I've had the moss green one for a few years, now. That shade of green goes surprisingly well with many different jackets. It keeps the drizzle off my head and neck while steelhead fishing or just a stylish cover while out & about. I hope that you have many years of satisfaction wearing it.
Thank you! I'm really keen on the Moss too! I think I need to see it in person, but I suspect it is a very versatile color.

I have no doubt that I will order it (either new or used) soon.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Well, I received my Coober Pedy in Santone from David Morgan today; it's an exquisite hat! But it's got the tone on tone ribbon and now that I've seen it in person, I realize how important the kangaroo band and opal are (or at least a leather band of some sort). But my goodness, what a fit. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

As such, I went to Everything Australian and ordered the same hat with the leather band and opal. The invoice said it ships in 4 months, so I emailed EA to see if this is true. Hopefully that's their basic "disclaimer."

If it's going to be four months, I'll likely cancel and hunt for something on eBay, or I suppose I can just hunt for an appropriate leather band. One thing is for certain, I'm all in on Akubra, and particularly this Coober Pedy. I love the bound brim, the crown height, the grommet/air vents. Seems like a lot of value packed into a not-terribly-expensive hat.

As I'm sure folks here can relate, when you want something like this on your noggin, 4 months is a lifetime!
Change of course...

This hat I received fits great and is beautiful. I'm keeping this one.

Hats from Everything Australian are 4-8 weeks out and I choose not to wait. So I'll hunt for a custom hat band (or at least a hat band I like) and personalize my hat in hand...

I'll look for a nice leather band with hints of turquoise. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I've had the Coober Pedy for about 6 weeks and let me tell you, I really like it. It has great coverage from the sun and rain/snow (of which we've had a bit recently). While there's no question it would be on the warm side with temps above 70, I may still be able to push it a bit more than other felt hats I own. I love it as an alternative to my cowboy hats as the downturned brim of the Coober Pedy blocks even late afternoon rays.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got some straw fedoras from Pineapple & Stars. They're not bad. I wore one to the Jerusalem zoo a few days ago. I stuck my head close to a waterfall in the Rain Forest exhibit and forgot water will ruin it, and had to worry about it getting snagged near every tree. IDK, honestly my coober pedy is like honestly the best quality hat I've ever had, comparing to other types I've worn, mostly Tilleys. So far, its actually cooler than the Tilley's in the lwo 80s. Well lets see. I guess I'm in no hurry to get another. I like the look of the coober pedy too, after first thinkinng it made me look like that desert fox, the fennec, with the giant floppy ears. Well coober pedy is the sorta environment a fox like this would thrive in, so maybe it's not so random anways.
The Coober Pedy is a great sun hat. If you are sensitive to heat there are a few long known truths. Wide brim to provide shade, light colours absorb less heat, a space around your head to insulate and air holes to let air flow. The Coober Pedy checks all those boxes. I find my Tilley hats sit against my head and heat me up more than I do in a fir felt hat. You mentioned looking at the tablelands. The advantage it has over the Coober is it looks like it has a fuller crown (more air space to insulate) and no lining. Some find lined hats a little hotter, I have never really found them hotter but the lining absorbs my sweat and looks really gross over time. My Coolabah is lined and looks pretty gross but I don’t want to remove the liner as it’s tacked into the hat by the grommets. I just can’t bring myself to cut it out. Maybe when my wife starts to complain ;):D
That’s my take anyway. Hope that helps.
Let us know when you go for your next Akubra
Stay safe
Johnny

M Brown

A-List Customer
take a look at the Riverina...it's a Pedy without the liner and a slightly wider brim.

I have a Territory that has been my work hat for several years. I don't wear it in the summer but it gets a lot of wear in the cooler months. Great sun protection and air flow and no liner.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
There is a seller on ebay that sells Coober Pedy's with different creases. Cool looking and might give you more pics to look at and an idea of what you can do with crown & brim if you want. I kinda like the little mule kick in front.

I just ordered a Coober Pedy from him in fawn. His fawn looks lighter than Santone Fawn, but that's probably due to the lighting. He will reshape the crown and brim any way you want. I asked for a modified "Gus" crease and an upcurled brim. I'll post a picture when I receive it.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Well, the color got "grayed" by the lighting, but I like the hat. This is supposed to be some mystery "Fawn." :)

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk