Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Dress Hat??

Donato

One of the Regulars
Does anyone where an Akubra as a dress hat? I like their styles, especially the Banjo Paterson, and Stylemaster. Would anyone wear the Banjo Paterson for dress, though? Love that Barramundi band!

Spellflower

Practically Family
I would probably stick to slimmer brims for dressy occasions. The Federation is 3 inches, and that's about as wide as I ever go, but especially with a suit.

Try the CEO if you want a really dressy wide brimmed Akubra- it even has a bound brim.

Donato

One of the Regulars
CEO has a very high crown, no?

Spellflower said:
I would probably stick to slimmer brims for dressy occasions. The Federation is 3 inches, and that's about as wide as I ever go, but especially with a suit.

Try the CEO if you want a really dressy wide brimmed Akubra- it even has a bound brim.

I like the style of the CEO but one web page describes it as having a 5.5in. high crown. I am returning my Stetson Dexter because the crown is too high for me - 4.75in. - so the CEO is not an option. The Stockman looks nice too. Thanks for the reply.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I hate to say it, Donato, but you're going to have a pretty hard time finding an Akubra with a crown below 5 inches.

K

Kaosharper1

Stylemaster

I think the Akubra Stylemaster has a lower crown and a more dressy look.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I would recommend that you definitely avoid the CEO if you don't like tall crowns. I bought one and returned it for just that reason. It's a great hat but the crown height and brim width proportions just didn't suit me. I think the brim width of a dress hat is really more of an urban or rural issue. Narrow brims look odd in the country just as wider brims seem out of place in the big city. I recommend the Stylemaster or the Squatter depending on your locale. The Squatter has a crown around 5" but that's an open crown. Crease it as a C-Crown and you're easily down to 4.5" or less. A number of other Akubras would instantly become "dressy" if you replaced the leather bands with a ribbon.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I think the stylemaster is probably what you want. I tried it on when I was in Katoomba, but found the crown too low for my tastes, which sounds like it's just right for yours.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info and advice. Does the Stylemaster run true to size? I take a 7 1/4 (58cm) hat but in a Borsalino I take a 59cm. Before I order a Stylemaster I want to be sure they fit true to size. Any thoughts about this?

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
If the Dexter fit good, I'd order the same size in the Stylemaster. Mine was a little oversized when I got it, but it fits good now. Hatsdirect has measuring instructions for Akubras on their website.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have three Akubras, and I ordered my usual size (57 = 7-1/8) on all of them. Each seemed about a half-size too big when it arrived, and I had to put some foam tape under the sweatband. But after three or four good sweatings (e.g., wearing them on short hikes), the sweatband conformed perfectly to my size and I was able to remove the foam.

So ordering your usual size will probably work. Measure carefully and check the chart on the HatsDirect site to be sure. And (not to say anything against HatsDirect's excellent service!) keep in mind that if you're willing to trade a slightly longer ship time for lower cost, you can save a few bucks at other Akubra dealers, like Everything Australian, Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy