Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I thought I would attempt to apply a little bit of what Mike Moore showed me while visiting his shop over the summer. I took some 150 grit sandpaper and sanded my black federation. It always had a fuzziness feel to it and I wanted to see if I could do something about that. I tried to photogragh it but that did not work out to well but the sanding worked out so good I did Dee's new fed IV also!:D This is the mid brown and if the pics don't help at all , then I can only say it is alot smoother and feels more velvety than before when it felt like a fuzzy sweater....:rolleyes:

Right side as you are looking is sanded if you can tell at all by these lousy pics:eek:
PB220157.jpg

PB220158.jpg

This may be the only one you can tell anything on, the leftside of the crown bottom of pic is done.
PB220159.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Submitting my application

After a wait of about 2.5 months, I finally received my Stylemaster in Mid-Brown. May I join up?
I had intended to get better pictures, but it's dreary and overcast here today. These were taken in the kitchen under halogens, but I'll try to take some better pictures when we have a sunnier day here.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the mid brown on yuor Stylemaster, Spats. Hmmmm. I had a moonstone Stylemaster and like the hat, but I sold it cause it was too big for me. The mid brown looks good. Maybe I should get another that fits.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks, gang. That Stylemaster is my first Akubra, as well as my first fur felt. It feels just a wee bit snug right now, but I'm hoping that the sweat and felt with "give" a little with some wear and alleviate that problem. If not, I guess I'll just have to invest in a stretcher. Overall, I'm really, really happy with it.

theprofessor

New in Town
with the exchange rate as it is now, it is foolish for anyone NOT to own at least one or two akubras - just ordered an akubra "fedora" to add to the collection. its unbelievable that i can get it from australia, with shipping included, much faster, and much cheaper than i can buy it in my time zone! and a kudos to the folks at hats direct, they have remarkable customer service!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
I thought I would attempt to apply a little bit of what Mike Moore showed me while visiting his shop over the summer. I took some 150 grit sandpaper and sanded my black federation.

Sanded? By hand? Close to that beautiful binding? My gosh, you've got GUTS!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rrog

A-List Customer
theprofessor, considering that I'm seeing wood hats for around $50 locally, and the fact that I just ordered an Akubra from EA for $68 and some change, I can't argue with you on that. For around $20 more than a wool felt, I can get a fur felt Akubra. That's a good upgrade if you ask me.

rrog

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
What would you do? (I think I know)

After I ordered a cruiser CEO and a tawny fawn Fed IV from Hatsdirect, I discovered that I lived less than 8 miles from the David Morgan showroom. I'm glad I got the hats from Hatsdirect, but I definitely wanted to go somewhere where I could check out a bunch of Akubra hats all at once.

Well, just inside the door are some factory seconds at $50 ea., and I picked up a dark brown Adventurer from that pile. I steamed a nice little teardrop into the crown when I got home and am glad I got such a nice and unique-looking hat for such a nice price. There was nothing about this one to indicate why it was a second. (I'll post pics of my new hats soon.)

But the thing that's been haunting me is that they also had a Bushman in my size in the same pile ($50). I've toyed with the idea of getting a Campdraft, but I'm tempted to satisfy that thin ribbon urge with this Bushman at the near-giveaway price. The exclusive Nullarbor Tan color is gorgeous. There are a couple of participants at the Lounge here who swear by the DM Bushman's ability to withstand the most heinous weather. The DM even comes equipped with chinstrap hooks.

Like the Campdraft, the Bushman is open crown, thin ribbon, of a fairly light, neutral color. The crown is 5.5" unbashed. The brim is bigger, however, at 3.25" instead of the Campdraft's 2-3/4".

So, which way do you lean?

• The 3-1/4" brim would make the hat feel too big compared to a 2-3/4" brimmed Campdraft.
  • $50 for a brand new lined, unbashed Akubra is a no-brainer. Buy it.
  • Save your money for the moonstone Fed IV Deluxe you really want.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Johnny53 get up, get out of bed and run, Run, RUN!!! Get that bushman!!! I have seen Colby Jack's, he swears by it!
It won't help you not want a campdraft though. You will say i want another thin ribbon or I need this color or.....:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen