Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

mintong

New in Town
Sorry,
In my picture I had tried to upload, I had the Bushman lined up outside with the Squatter, Cattleman, Wentworth, and a Adventurer to compare shades of brown. Outside, the olive brown color is obvious. All my Akubras are from Everything Australian, except the Bushman which is from DM. Wish I could email you the picture so you could see.

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Being more of a mid-ribbon fan, I took a Moonstone Federation IV & had it modified by a couple of hatters.
First the ribbon was changed to a mid-ribbon, Stetson Playboy style treatment by Drew at Clean a Hat. www.cleanahat.com
Then Parker at Falcon Park Hattery, www.falconparkhattery, trimmed the brim to a universal 2 5/8 & bound the edge with matching ribbon.
This is like the Stetson Wanderer advertisement in my avatar...
Photo-0101.jpg

Looks like a vintage hat! I love it, well done, great colour ribbon too.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Thanks VitaminG!

Fairly rough handling was required, and plenty of steam.
sortof bending and folding the felt in the opposite direction that it was to begin with, if that makes sense? and putting a smooth surface on the inside and rubbing against it with my thumb from the outside.
I heard that the bogart and stylemaster are basically the same hat just different bashes?

Cheers,
Danny

Thanks Danny. I guess I'll have to lean into it a bit to get that bash out :D

I believe that is correct, the Stylemaster & Bogart are the same hat with different bashes. Plus the SM has a greater colour selection

job

One Too Many
If a hats crown, brim, ribbon, are different than another hat than I think that makes it a different hat. After that they only share felt and a sweatband. They may have some hats at city hatters exclusive to them. I've only seen a Bogart with a center dent.

Last edited:

dannyboy_883

New in Town
That's what I mean though, it seems as though the crown, while creased differently, could be formed on the same block. Likewise the brims on all the stylemasters and bogarts that I have seen are the same. So they would share the same hat body, essentially making them the same hat. If anybody know's for sure I would be interested to find out, as the hampton and whippet are another pair that are very similar, seeming to share everything apart from a slight difference in crease.

Cheers,
Danny

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, Akubra does form several hat models out of one crown shape. It saves money by reducing the need for newer parts.

Example: The Snowy River, Territory, Cattleman, Overlander, Stockman, Jackaroo, and Longreach all share the same crown shape. This is not an uncommon practice. HatCo does it a lot as well.

So you could generalize some hat models as being the same with similar differences. We do the same thing with dogs: No matter how significant the difference, all dogs still fall under the same genus species designation.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Did we ever come to a definitive answer to the question about 'Superfine' and 'Imperial' felt quality in the case of the 'Stylemaster'? I seem to remember a lounger wanting one in 'Superfine' rather than the standard 'Imperial' but there was a long wait.

MP

job

One Too Many
The Bogart is not a stylemaster with a center dent. I have both and the curl to the brim is also different. The stylemaster also appears to have more taper in the crown. They are not light years apart but they are not the same hat IMHO.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
The Bogart is not a stylemaster with a center dent. I have both and the curl to the brim is also different. The stylemaster also appears to have more taper in the crown. They are not light years apart but they are not the same hat IMHO.

could that difference in taper be down to the bash? The teardrop will use more felt

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Yes, Akubra does form several hat models out of one crown shape. It saves money by reducing the need for newer parts.

Example: The Snowy River, Territory, Cattleman, Overlander, Stockman, Jackaroo, and Longreach all share the same crown shape. This is not an uncommon practice. HatCo does it a lot as well.

Thanks Neo!

I'd really like to find an akubra with less taper and a taller crown, though not quite that of the Fed's. Maybe I could modify one of the westerns..

Cheers,
Danny

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Neo!

I'd really like to find an akubra with less taper and a taller crown, though not quite that of the Fed's. Maybe I could modify one of the westerns..

Cheers,
Danny

You might want to take a look at the Squatter that is sold here in the US by David Morgan. It has a taller straighter crown and a non-dimensional brim of 3". It is a different hat than the Squatter as sold by Akubra in OZ. Or you could get the "officially approved" Akubra here on the Forum, the Campdraft which is taller and straighter as well and has a wider brim as well. :)

dannyboy_883

New in Town
You might want to take a look at the Squatter that is sold here in the US by David Morgan. It has a taller straighter crown and a non-dimensional brim of 3". It is a different hat than the Squatter as sold by Akubra in OZ. Or you could get the "officially approved" Akubra here on the Forum, the Campdraft which is taller and straighter as well and has a wider brim as well. :)

Thanks monbla, I will check out the website later tonight when i have some time. I think the campdraft would make me look a bit like a stick insect though, the Fed size is already pushing the envelope.

James, If you have decent front on pics of the CEO and the squatter, i'd love to see them! I was talking with the girls at the hattery today and they convinced to drive up for a visit to katoomba some time in the next few weeks! So I fear for the safety of my hard earned!

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
That Squatter is a nice looking lid and I don't own one of those. It was your pic James of the CEO that caused me to buy that hat. Stop posting pics James, I can't afford it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto