Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
With a bound brim and from the size of the brim and crown, it looks to be a Fawn Squatter with a non- standard darker and wider hatband. Akubra does not show a hat EXACTLY like that one on their current offerings shown on their website.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
With a bound brim and from the size of the brim and crown, it looks to be a Fawn Squatter with a non- standard darker and wider hatband. Akubra does not show a hat EXACTLY like that one on their current offerings shown on their website.

I think it looks better than the stock Squatter. I like the wider ribbon.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
First Akubra!

As promised here's more pics of my new Cattleman.

I've wanted a "cowboy hat" for a long time, but western designs never sat well with my taste (never met one with a bash I liked and I hate wavy, up-turned brims). Turns out I wasn't looking southward enough, and my prayers were answered from down under.
I absolutely adore this thing. The pinched crown suits my fedora style and the downward-sloping brim is all action. And may I add the bound edge, which is gorgeous!

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble. Pics!

I fashioned a makeshift chin-cord out of some left-over craft leather. The hat came un-lined so I was able to thread the chord through the first two vent gromets. Perfect for slinging it on my back when I pop inside for a sec or as a failsafe against a gust of wind. And when I don't need it, I just tuck it under the crown like it's not even there.

This hat's already seen plenty of active duty and takes anything and everything I throw at it. This is a serious business hat - all action, nothing "poser" about it. And that's the way it should be. A perfect lifetime companion for the long road ahead. :cool:

And finally, I want to take a quick moment to thank my fellow Loungers for all their great advice in introducing me to Akubra.I couldn't have done it without you guys, and I will most definitely be investing in more OZ hats in the future.
Cheers, mates. :cheers1:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can understand a little Spanish, there's a lot of Akubra praise @ 1:50 in this video.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4n549yql5#/watch?bmb=1&desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3 Fv%3D_Q6227tJirY%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&feature=youtube_gdata_player&gl=US&v=_Q6227tJirY[/video]

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
First Akubra!

I've wanted a "cowboy hat" for a long time, but western designs never sat well with my taste (never met one with a bash I liked and I hate wavy, up-turned brims). Turns out I wasn't looking southward enough, and my prayers were answered from down under.
I absolutely adore this thing. The pinched crown suits my fedora style and the downward-sloping brim is all action. And may I add the bound edge, which is gorgeous!

I fashioned a makeshift chin-cord out of some left-over craft leather. The hat came un-lined so I was able to thread the chord through the first two vent gromets. Perfect for slinging it on my back when I pop inside for a sec or as a failsafe against a gust of wind. And when I don't need it, I just tuck it under the crown like it's not even there.

This hat's already seen plenty of active duty and takes anything and everything I throw at it. This is a serious business hat - all action, nothing "poser" about it. And that's the way it should be. A perfect lifetime companion for the long road ahead. :cool:

And finally, I want to take a quick moment to thank my fellow Loungers for all their great advice in introducing me to Akubra.I couldn't have done it without you guys, and I will most definitely be investing in more OZ hats in the future.

EXCELLENT choice of Akubra !! Mine is the same color though I got it from DM up in Seattle so it came w/liner which is not in it anymore after two times taking a full immersion bath in a stock tank!! They are true modern "...fan the fire, water the horse" hats for sure.
Next you need to get a Bushman, an old style they still make and is sold exclusively thru David Morgan nowdays. It's got a nice straight 5 1/2: open crown and a bound brim of 3 1/4". Pure "dinkum Aussie" :) Here's my Bushman:

Bushman1-1.jpg

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
First Akubra!

What company did you end up buying this from?

Harry.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like the choice of colors for the Squatter has gotten smaller. Akubra and several of the OZ retailers look to only now carry 3 colors for it, Fawn, Steel Grey and Black. DM and the Bluewater group in the US still list Fawn and Moonstone Grey but the Moonstone will probably be existing stock as it is not listed by Akubra anymore. Those lovers of that light color better get their order in soon :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
Akubra and several of the OZ retailers look to only now carry 3 colors for it, Fawn, Steel Grey and Black.

Hats Direct ("The Hattery) also list Glen Grey, Bran, and Sand on their website while Everything Australian carries all those colors along with Bluegrass Green, Regency Fawn, and Tanbark Brown.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hats Direct ("The Hattery) also list Glen Grey, Bran, and Sand on their website while Everything Australian carries all those colors along with Bluegrass Green, Regency Fawn, and Tanbark Brown.

Here's what is showing currently on "The Hattery's" site at present :
http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=23&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=1

and this is what Everythin Australian shows:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=20

Do you have some other links ?

Gromulus

Practically Family

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Bogart

Went to Melbourne over the weekend and picked up this little beauty!

I Changed the ribbon and the bash, I really liked the standard bash of the bogart, just not on my head!
The old crease was very stubborn coming out, overall, took a few hours to get the old bash out and the new bash in.

P1000620.jpg

P1000619.jpg

P1000618.jpg

P1000616.jpg

P1000615.jpg

Cheers,
Dan.

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Thanks Neophyte and Duper! The original shape of the ribbon wasn't bad, it just looked as though it had been done in a rush, and a little splash of colour on a darker hat can't be a bad thing :)

@Mercuryfelt76 - This thread is for all Akubra's big and small, there is just a few that a much more popular I think...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have several Akubras but they're not all fedoras - a lot of bush hats. Are we only posting fedoras on this thread or would my bush hats be welcome too?
As long as they are Akubra's that's fine here :) There are a few here who focus on ONE model of Akubra but you'll find many more like and wear many of the OTHER models they make! I personally have 8 and not all are fedora's :) "Bush" hats are more than welcome !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner