Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks Seth.

Great photos. Now you got me seriously considering the Heritage CD.

I emailed Hatsdirect to see if there are any left on that order.

-Tim

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I find it interesting that many here have refered to the 3" brim on the Squatter as a "dimensional" brim. I spent some time with the three Squatters that I have bought over this year and ALL 3 of them are consistantly measuring 3" ALL the way around the hat. I measured the brim as Joe Peter's showed me, from the outer edge of the reed where it meats the crown out to the brim edge on the underside of the brim. I spaced my meauring points appeoximetlly 1" apart around the circumference of the crown and found the varience to be 1/32" at most. These are ALL Squatters imported by DM but I can't believe that they would be all that different in size from the Oz market hats. I read the specs from Akubra and they state there's is a 3mm difference in brim dimensions so what gives ?

James71

A-List Customer
Mine definitely has a dimensional brim. It just so happens I'm wearing mine to work today and measured it.

It measures 76 on the back and 72 on the side.

b18e44ea.jpg

d6c1408a.jpg

The Squatters sold by David Morgan are & have been VERY different from the ones coming out of Australia. The Oz one comes in a featherweight, unlined & dimensional brim. This has been covered before. DM is seems to be selling a special made version that is a more vintage version of the Squatter, IMHO.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That sounds reasonable...

The Squatters sold by David Morgan are & have been VERY different from the ones coming out of Australia. The Oz one comes in a featherweight, unlined & dimensional brim. This has been covered before. DM is seems to be selling a special made version that is a more vintage version of the Squatter, IMHO.

That would explain why the US imported hats are different. Thanks.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Mine definitely has a dimensional brim. It just so happens I'm wearing mine to work today and measured it.

It measures 76 on the back and 72 on the side.

b18e44ea.jpg

d6c1408a.jpg

Thanks James. I noticed yours does not have a liner which is how the Squatter is sold over there? Is that the Willow Green you have spoken of ?

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Thanks!

I was actually hoping to get the Capricorn which Hatsdirect happened to have in hemp braid (instead of their usual poly-whatever), but it measured a little less than 62 so it was too small for me (if anyone here gets it, I'd like to see a photo!). I was hesitant to go for Balmoral at first, but it is actually a very nice hat (as you can see from my expression).

Last edited:

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
New Campdraft Deluxe

Akubra Campdraft Heritage Grade in Silver Belly courtesy of The Hattery
DSCF4112.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4116.jpg

I think my "sloppy" diamond bash technique is improving.
DSCF4118.jpg

Liner
DSCF4119.jpg

Custom sweat band
DSCF4121.jpg

Noggin shot
DSCF4124.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure it would as it is pure beaver and in the hands of Major Mike or Art Fawcet I'm sure it would be nice. But WHY? It's a beautiful hat as it is :)

Well it's only 30% beaver. The curiosity about conversion is a just-in-case question, a way of allowing me to justify the consideration I'm giving to this hat. It's quite alluring, you see, and with my recent job acquisition.....;).

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I were to get that hat, I may in the future want a brim trim and crown reshaping. I guess conversion wasn't quite the right word. More like...."slight alteration." :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner