Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
Got a good true color shot of my Acorn Fawn Stylemaster I got from David Morgan back in March.

96300025.jpg

I bought one just like yours a couple months ago. I will get to see it for the first time in a few weeks.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
007: the second from the right on the top shelf is a really beaten up Snowy River I knocked the crown out, turned it into a Gus and now is a pork pie. The great thing about cheap e-bay purchases is you can beat them to heck and not feel bad.
Johnny

One of the Regulars
Now that you mention it, it reminds me of the battered Snowy River that Walter Riley was wearing in Croc Dundee 2. I've been meaning to take my Snowy River and flatten the brim a little like that. Mine was a garage sale find, but hardly ever worn so I'm still a little leery of messing with it. Faint heart...

Orangegrad

Practically Family
After all the advice I've gotten here regarding the Stylemaster, I hoped to order the mid-brown. Unfortunately, my size in mid-brown Stylemaster won't be in country until October. Actually, I really couldn't wear it in Cleveland in the summer, anyway. So I'll wait until the fall.

For those of you who own the Sydney and any other Akubras - is the felt on the Sydney noticeably lighter than your other Akubras? How well does the Sydney hold a bash?

djd

Practically Family
Can you not just order direct from Oz? I'm in the UK and my hat arrived in a couple of weeks from ordering it. Great customer service too

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Can you not just order direct from Oz? I'm in the UK and my hat arrived in a couple of weeks from ordering it. Great customer service too

The only Australian sources that I've found that carry the mid-brown Stylemaster also have a 3 month wait - which is about when John Helmer will have them in stock in the US.

Since I'll be on vacation near a store that does sell some Akubras (but not the Stylemaster), I think I'll get another Akubra while waiting for my Stylemaster to arrive. This store carries mostly the Outback hats - plus the Sydney. At least I'll get to try on what I'm buying this way.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The only Australian sources that I've found that carry the mid-brown Stylemaster also have a 3 month wait - which is about when John Helmer will have them in stock in the US.

Since I'll be on vacation near a store that does sell some Akubras (but not the Stylemaster), I think I'll get another Akubra while waiting for my Stylemaster to arrive. This store carries mostly the Outback hats - plus the Sydney. At least I'll get to try on what I'm buying this way.
Take a look at their selection of Squatters while you are there if they carry them. They are another open crown Akubra made from the same Imperial grade felt as the Stylemaster and Sydney. Enjoy your vacation and let us see what ya get :)

EggHead

Practically Family
After all the advice I've gotten here regarding the Stylemaster, I hoped to order the mid-brown. Unfortunately, my size in mid-brown Stylemaster won't be in country until October. Actually, I really couldn't wear it in Cleveland in the summer, anyway. So I'll wait until the fall.

For those of you who own the Sydney and any other Akubras - is the felt on the Sydney noticeably lighter than your other Akubras? How well does the Sydney hold a bash?

I own a Sydney and 2 other Imperial style Akubras. Sydney's felt is thinner (about twice as thin), lighter in weight, but still dense enough to keep rain away. It's very soft and it has a better sweatband. As far as the bash goes, I have it in pork-pie, that seems to hold the best. I had center crease with front or side dents before, but it kept losing it's bash after each wear, so I got tired of it and re-bashed it to pork-pie and that is holding well. BTW, in US it's available in two colors - black (charcoal) and mid-dark brown (heritage fawn).

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I just purchased my first Akubra from a member here (Dundee). I've been looking for quite a while but a 7 5/8 long oval is not a common size for picking up a used one. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Federation when Dan contacted me in my WTB add here about his Silverbelly Campdraft. I should have my new hat by Monday or Tuesday.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I own a Sydney and 2 other Imperial style Akubras. Sydney's felt is thinner (about twice as thin), lighter in weight, but still dense enough to keep rain away. It's very soft and it has a better sweatband. As far as the bash goes, I have it in pork-pie, that seems to hold the best. I had center crease with front or side dents before, but it kept losing it's bash after each wear, so I got tired of it and re-bashed it to pork-pie and that is holding well. BTW, in US it's available in two colors - black (charcoal) and mid-dark brown (heritage fawn).

Thanks for the info on the Sydney. Definitely helps to know that it can keep the rain out. Sounds like it holds a bash well enough.

email68

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for a summer felt. All my felts are dark colors. I have a CD in bluegrass green and a brown Henry.

How does the Fed IV Fawn do in temps above 80? Any other options for a summer topper?

Which Akubra is closest to a 2.5" brim and 5.5" crown w/o a taper? Preferably in silverbelly color.

Tim

Last edited:

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I'm using a Fawn Camp Draft as my summer felt. The extra brim width helps keep the sun off my face and neck. I would have gotten one in Silver Belly if I hadn't gotten in on the Heritage Camp Draft group buy. The Fed IV Fawn is a little lighter color than the CD Fawn. I just posted some pics in the "new hats" thread that show them together for comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass