Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Lando

Practically Family
Neophyte, I got the Pro30x just a while ago. The felt is very nice and I think the hat would take very well to conversion. I already reshaped it with more of a teardrop fedora top and turned most of the brim down. Great hat though, very smooth and worth the money I think. I can post photos if you want.

If I were to get that hat, I may in the future want a brim trim and crown reshaping. I guess conversion wasn't quite the right word. More like...."slight alteration." :D

I've cutdown western brims to 2 3/4", took the crown back to open, & changed the band...was looking of some specifics on your conversion/slight alteration to get a mental picture...
That looks like a nice lid as is. A bit bright in the color dept for me tho...

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know. Admittedly it looks great...but if my history with my hats is any indication it might be in for a tad bit of experimentation. lol

Myself, I like brightly colored westerns (I also like 'em dark). It's the brightly colored fedoras that I'm not as comfy with...

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
5843430762_398e7b4cd7_z.jpg

5842885523_5fd9426983_z.jpg

5842885579_d426512380_z.jpg

Pardon the picture quality but I took these on my phone for expedience. These first three are my Pro30X reshaped. I was going to put the whole brim down but I always liked those cowboy hats with the slight upturn. The last photo below is my Burke and Wills reshaped that I wear very often when I hike. Skin cancer runs in my family and I dont mess around. Hope these help.

5843430936_1eed66a5a5_z.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
Neat thing about the pug, its actually many individual peices cut from a Buff that were then rolled up and slipped onto the hat. The Buff material is seamless and stretchy and soaks up sweat so its perfect for making into a pug looking band. Also, that particiular Buff is infused with bug repellant so on the hat it actually helps to keep the bugs off of me lol.

Neophyte

Sigh...now comes the weeks-long "pros vs. cons/ logic vs. passion/ want vs. need" struggle that plagues me with nearly every potential purchase. I'll let y'all know who wins lol :D.

Neophyte

When my car is fixed, I will try to get there as soon as possible. But this is what it looked like today. It'll be weeks before it's finished :D.

97db41b0.jpg

The good knews is that I'm about to buy a Cattleman or Stockman to alleviate the pain :D.

Last edited:
You've heard of the movie Shallow Hal????

Well here's a representation of Shallow Gus....

A while back, somebody had mentioned about changing an Akubra Cattleman to a Montana/Gus crease. I actually piped in that you don't have much crown to work with & I was right. I decided to give it a shot today for kicks. I still have some work to do over the next few rains to get all the remnants of the factory crease out. It didn't turn out that bad...
Photo-0093.jpg

Photo-0094.jpg

Photo-0095.jpg

Photo-0096.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Not bad at all, gtdean!

I just converted a Pastoralist
image_product_Akubra_Pastoralist_Hat8029.jpg

to a more traditional fedora shape
DSCF0853.jpg

The porkpie look was just too dippy for me. Like you, I wound up with vestigial crease marks, but they don't bother me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Mail-man just delivered my latest Akubra I got from DM ! It's a Sydney in the Charcoal Grey and after giving it a good look over and comparison to one of my Stylemasters I'd have to say they are the SAME hat minus the bound brim ! Same brim size, crowns tapered the same both are Imperial grade felt and are basicaly the same lighter felt than my Squatters ! It's my ONLY un-bound brimmed Fedora and is quite dark in color so will probably get more wear as a dress hat. Here's one of DM's pics till I get some of my own.

1620chl-bashed_lg61.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
Yes, the word "grey" in charcoal fooled me. When I received mine, I thought a more proper name should be shiny black instead of charcoal grey. This color limits my use of it too. But I do like the felt.. changed the ribbon to lighter gray than what it came with.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the word "grey" in charcoal fooled me. When I received mine, I thought a more proper name should be shiny black instead of charcoal grey. This color limits my use of it too. But I do like the felt.. changed the ribbon to lighter gray than what it came with.

I have a Charcoal Grey pinstipe suit that is almost IDENTICAL in tone as my Sydney so I know what hat I'll now be wearing it with!! When I put the Sydney next to my Black Squatter though, the grey tone comes through and it looks less black. Think I'm gonna like this one :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR