Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Campdraft Glengrey color with wider ribbon by "Buckaroo hatters" I purchased the campdraft back in November, 2012- wanted a winter hat with more brim. The federation just looked awkward IMO in many of the photos so I went with the campdraft as it seemed to have more heft... I wanted a more dressy ribbon so I asked Major Moore if he could put a wider ribbon on.

The ribbon color he had in stock is a very close match- its nearly identical...That said there was a very wide and a less that very wide ( I forget the inches) but this is just over an inch.
The wind trolley is the original, he did the ribbon. Excellent prices, workmanship - he has a fan!

Some of these photos are as it arrived from the mail, and others a few months later around now after some light wear.

original wide.jpg
original wide pinch.jpg

now today:
tonight giraffe  front.jpg
several months.jpg

Buckaroo hatters ribbon work:
ribbon side.jpg
ribbon work.jpg

After some rain:
rain.jpg

The glen grey color is versatile. it has hints of green, brown and is overtly grey. but is not dull or bright either- its a good color. I am very pleased with this hat.

RBH

Bartender
I was always hesitant to tamper with the basics of the Campdraft
But I have had Major Moore trim the brim on two of mine. With great end results.
So I can say that the ribbon on your hat is fantastic!
Classic bow and great ribbon width!!!
Good job and wear it with pleasure!!!!

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I like my CD ribbon width but I sure would like to try that out. Seems like a good fit. Maybe even on a Boss of the Plains. I'd go for that.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Campdraft Glengrey color with wider ribbon by "Buckaroo hatters" I purchased the campdraft back in November, 2012- wanted a winter hat with more brim. The federation just looked awkward IMO in many of the photos so I went with the campdraft as it seemed to have more heft... I wanted a more dressy ribbon so I asked Major Moore if he could put a wider ribbon on.

The ribbon color he had in stock is a very close match- its nearly identical...That said there was a very wide and a less that very wide ( I forget the inches) but this is just over an inch.
The wind trolley is the original, he did the ribbon. Excellent prices, workmanship - he has a fan!

Some of these photos are as it arrived from the mail, and others a few months later around now after some light wear.

View attachment 2097
View attachment 2098

now today:
View attachment 2099
View attachment 2100

Buckaroo hatters ribbon work:
View attachment 2101
View attachment 2102

After some rain:
View attachment 2103

The glen grey color is versatile. it has hints of green, brown and is overtly grey. but is not dull or bright either- its a good color. I am very pleased with this hat.

Looks great! My brown CD has just arrived at Strandhatters in a sydney after a seemingly 4 month wait - definitely going to put a wider ribbon on after checking out yours!! Good work ..

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Convertable Campdraft

Here's my Campdraft convertable. I took a brown ribbon and sewed it together so it makes a snug fit over my campdraft and then steamed it to get a good fit. Now I can slide the ribbon off or on to suit me if I'm in a thin or wide ribbon mood day. Also have always liked the light colored hat with dark ribbon contrast.

a5b02a94ff083955d6b254899d6c8631_zps12b2f6d0.jpg

Will2011

New in Town
I am looking for some feedback as I am in the market for a new Akubra. It's a toss up between the Leisure Time and the Angler.
Can anyone comment on the crown of both? I am aware the brim on the Angler is slightly bigger but apart from that I can't see any difference from the photos on the Akubra website.
I've also read the Leisure Time is similar to the Banjo Patterson, other then the grade of felt what is the difference.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Will2011, I have all three hats and I would get the Banjo Paterson, The felt is better grade but for me the upgraded sweat band alone makes it worth the extra money.
Every time I wear my Banjo Paterson out I get a compliment from someone and thats always nice.

Last edited:

Will2011

New in Town
Will2011, I have all three hats and I would get the Banjo Paterson, The felt is better grade but for me the upgraded sweat band alone makes it worth the extra money.
Every time I wear my Banjo Paterson out I get a compliment from someone and thats always nice.

Thanks Gman, thanks for the advice. Can you give a description of the style of crown each hat has. The Angler looks more of a flat teardrop in photos.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I hope these pictures help.
They basically have the same crown with a low centre dent. The Angler has more brim and looks more western than the Banjo or the Leisure Time. The Banjo Paterson has nicer felt and wider softer sweat than the Leisure Time that has stiff felt but still a nice hat.
To me all three crowns are the same.

Last edited:

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Will2011, I just pulled out all three hats and the crowns are identical.
Except for the vent holes on the Angler.

Banjo Paterson in Graphite Grey

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I've had my first Fed IV deluxe (Moonstone) for several weeks now. The folks at the Hattery recommended I go up one size, but in reality my true size would have been just fine. Love the fedora. Am thinking of purchasing another.

I'm having difficulty deciding between the dark brown or the heritage fawn. I'm not going for the Indy look. Even if I get the dark brown I would not give it an Indy bash. I'm looking for versatility. The Moonstone is a nice neutral color that goes with just about all the clothes I typically wear: earth tones, jeans, greens and browns.

What I like about the Moonstone is that since the color is fairly light, the large fedora does not overpower my very narrow face. I understand from Trudi at the Hattery that the heritage fawn is similar in its color and hue to the Moonstone (though a tan/brown color) - very neutral.

So, for those of you who have both the heritage fawn and the dark brown, do you find one more versatile than the other? I suspect when it's all said and done I'll have both, but one hat at a time.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

-Andy

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Orangegrad, I have the fawn and I really like it. I also think it's much more versatile and I don't get as many "Indy" comments when I wear it.

That's what I like to hear - no Indy comments. I would refuse to put an Indy bash even into the dark brown were I to own it. Strange though - at a car dealership last year I was wearing my acorn Stylemaster and got an Indy comment. Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran