Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Gentlemen, I'm new and am developing Akubra fever. I've read about some shrinkage over time of Akubras. When ordering should one order a size larger or am I worried over nothing?
Compared to just about everyone here I know nothing about hats. However...

When you mention shrinkage, if you're referring to the sweatband and how the hat will fit, Akubra knows how much their sweatband material will shrink once you start wearing (and sweating in) your hat, and they take this into consideration when they make their hats. When I bought my Fed IV in 2008 it arrived large enough (open crown) for me to pull down over my ears, but after a day or two of wearing it (and sweating in it) the hat snugged up to what I consider a perfect fit. If you're really concerned about it, the best thing to do is to contact whichever vendor you're planning to purchase the hat from and ask their advice about which size to order.

If you're referring to the felt, almost any felt can shrink over time if it's not treated properly. The worst thing you can do is saturate your hat (i.e., wear it in a heavy rainstorm) and then try to rush the drying process by applying heat. If your hat gets wet, set it aside and let it dry on it's own.

I apologize if this is not new information to you, but when you say "I'm new" I don't know if you mean you're new to hats, or simply new to this forum (or both). Also, if any of this information is incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me and provide the proper information you need.

Welcome to The Lounge! :yo:

jimjr

New in Town
Thanks for the info. I am new to the lounge and to hats. I've been a baseball cap guy for many years and have decided as I near retirement I want to be one of those dapper old guys we all see out and about if I can pull it off. I'm just trying to come up with a few nice hats without breaking the bank that I can wear around town with any outfit and look nice.

...I am new to the lounge and to hats...as I near retirement I want to be one of those dapper old guys we all see out and about if I can pull it off. I'm just trying to come up with a few nice hats without breaking the bank that I can wear around town with any outfit and look nice.
This is definitely the right place to help you accomplish that goal. Fair warning--"hat fever" can be contagious, and for some of the members here hats are like potato chips; once you've had one, you want more. ;)

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I saw an article in the local paper yesterday about Akubras & thought you gents may be interested.....

What nation has gone crazy for the Aussie Akubra?
It has some of the world's best known rivers and among the deepest and longest canyons in the world.
And it is currently going crazy for the iconic Australian hat, the Akubra.
It's not America, or Canada - it's Tibet.
Roy Wilkinson, company secretary and director of Akubra, said "the fact is Tibet represents out largest export market," he said. "China is another big market, but our exports to Tibet are the largest and they keep on growing."
"In a place where there is plenty of access to mass-produced things from China, they like quality products and they seem to like something that's uniquely Australian."

Link to article here

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is more of a sigh than an actual gripe but the thing I hate more than waiting on an Akubra to show up is when I miss the mailman and have to go to the post office the next day :eusa_doh:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I saw an article in the local paper yesterday about Akubras & thought you gents may be interested.....

What nation has gone crazy for the Aussie Akubra?
It has some of the world's best known rivers and among the deepest and longest canyons in the world.
And it is currently going crazy for the iconic Australian hat, the Akubra.
It's not America, or Canada - it's Tibet.
Roy Wilkinson, company secretary and director of Akubra, said "the fact is Tibet represents out largest export market," he said. "China is another big market, but our exports to Tibet are the largest and they keep on growing."
"In a place where there is plenty of access to mass-produced things from China, they like quality products and they seem to like something that's uniquely Australian."

Link to article here
I was in Tibet last month, and I've never seen such a hat-wearing country. I took a zillion pics of Tibetans wearing hats, and some of them were really nice looking, too. I can't tell if they were Akubras, though.

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

g.durand

One Too Many
Blackthorn--what I like about the hats being worn by the Tibetans in the photos is their hats are functional pieces of clothing, no different than anything else they are wearing, or different from the tools they use. What hat did you take with you? Did you take only one?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn--what I like about the hats being worn by the Tibetans in the photos is their hats are functional pieces of clothing, no different than anything else they are wearing, or different from the tools they use. What hat did you take with you? Did you take only one?
I did take only one, G.Durand, but it was not a real fedora. I took an oil cloth hat that only cost $50. When a Chinese airport security checker smashed it flat, I was glad I had retired my VS from travel duty.

Rogera

Blackthorn I hope to be able to travel like you do one of these days.
I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago. My first Fed VI (Imperial felt). I think it will serve nicely as a go to rain and sweat hat.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago. My first Fed VI (Imperial felt). I think it will serve nicely as a go to rain and sweat hat.

Roger - I have two Feds and they get a whole lot of head time. Enjoy.

By the way - you bashed yours the same way I bashed both of mine. I like the look.

Rogera

Thanks Andy! I have been admiring your posts of your Feds for the past few weeks and you inspired me to pull the trigger. I have a couple of Campdrafts and a Blue Grass Green Stylemaster so I knew I was getting a good lid. I was born in Akron by the way and have family in Ohio still. (just thought I'd throw that in there!)

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thanks Andy! I have been admiring your posts of your Feds for the past few weeks and you inspired me to pull the trigger. I have a couple of Campdrafts and a Blue Grass Green Stylemaster so I knew I was getting a good lid. I was born in Akron by the way and have family in Ohio still. (just thought I'd throw that in there!)

Roger - thanks for mentioning my posts. I was born in the Boston area, lived a number of years in Syracuse, and have been in Cleveland for 20 years. Now that I'm several years away from retirement my wife and I are considering a trip out to your general neck of the woods to check out possible retirement areas - not necessarily Texas, but Arizona and New Mexico. I can't imagine living in snowy areas when I'm 70 years old.

1961MJS

Roger - thanks for mentioning my posts. I was born in the Boston area, lived a number of years in Syracuse, and have been in Cleveland for 20 years. Now that I'm several years away from retirement my wife and I are considering a trip out to your general neck of the woods to check out possible retirement areas - not necessarily Texas, but Arizona and New Mexico. I can't imagine living in snowy areas when I'm 70 years old.

Hi

I'd check Texas personally. A friend of mine from work was going to retire to that area, but settled for Eastern Colorado because the prices in New Mexico were sky high in about 2005. She and the hubby sold the place in Colorado when they were offered about 2.5 x what they had in it. I guess they're still in Kansas. Who knows what the recession has done.

Later

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the kind words, Rogera. That Fed IV should make a fine travel hat. And don't give up your dream of traveling. It's everything you dream of.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
They are wearing those hats so right. Makes me wanna give up.
Don't give up! Just wear it like it's part of you, and it will become a part of you. I've had a lot of friends who try on a fedora and say "It just doesn't look the same on me that it does on you," and give up. But hey, if they stuck with it, they'd soon realize they don't look right *without* it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn