Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I ordered my first Akubra today. I've wanted a good wide-brimmed hat for various outdoor work and travel, a hat that I can beat the snot out of and not worry about; clearly a vintage lid is not the answer (although I used an old Dobbs OR-style almost like this), nor am I well-heeled enough to order a custom hat to treat this way. I settled on an Akubra Territory; it definitly has the brim size I'm looking for, and Akubras have the workhorse reputation I need, too. I ordered it today from Everything Australian. Can't wait for it to arrive!

A

viclip

Practically Family
I ordered my first Akubra today. I've wanted a good wide-brimmed hat for various outdoor work and travel, a hat that I can beat the snot out of and not worry about; clearly a vintage lid is not the answer (although I used an old Dobbs OR-style almost like this), nor am I well-heeled enough to order a custom hat to treat this way. I settled on an Akubra Territory; it definitly has the brim size I'm looking for, and Akubras have the workhorse reputation I need, too. I ordered it today from Everything Australian. Can't wait for it to arrive!

A

Good choice. I bought mine from David Morgan a while back expressly for use behind my snowblower; by lowering my head a bit the 4" brim protects my face from the torture ensuing from the wind blowing the minced snow smack dab back into my face. A few weeks ago I also used it while cleaning the eaves of leaves on a drizzly & particularly windy day, again the brim kept water spray from the hose away from my face. And of course the generous brim provides great sun protection at other times of the year (the US Surgeon General recently referred to the prevalence of skin cancer as an epidemic).

Thus far my Akubra Territory has weathered all of this abuse without complaint. I did however have to re-learn the art of walking through doorways so as not to smash the brim against the frame!

I do have one recommendation namely that you fit a sturdy chin strap onto your new acquisition.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I love your new hats Stratcat, especially the Fed. I've often considered getting one of those myself but I wonder if it would suit me. However we both share roughly the same built, and rugged good looks so maybe I will get one cos it certainly suits you.

Thank you!
At first I thought it was a bit too tall for my face, I tried lowering it with a rough diamond bash, but it then seemed too wide, so I went back to the centre dent. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the size, now when I wear the homburg it feels tiny by comparison.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
You will be pleased with it. I only have one Akubra but mine is the Sombrero and I do like it.

I did however have to re-learn the art of walking through doorways so as not to smash the brim against the frame!
Same problem when I started to wear my 5" brims :)

diabolicaldog

New in Town
Squatter in deep fawn.

Attachments

• Squatter deep fawn 002.jpg
    Squatter deep fawn 002.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 495

milliedog

Familiar Face
Brian- Love that Woomera. Did you trim the brim when you put the curl in it? I have only ever seen them with the deep cattleman crease and the upswept brim. Yours gives that hat a whole new dimension. Very nice.

diabolicaldog

New in Town
Akubra Bobby 001.jpg

Here are some sweat stains with a ribbon so rotten it is about to fall off. This Bobby is three and a half years old and is at a stage where I am embarrassed by its condition in public. It has been worn daily and has lasted an extra year due to drought conditions. Thankfully my kids have bought me a new one for Christmas.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy