Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. argyle

argyle New in Town

What is it with you blokes.

Seems to me you only wear hats to take a picture and look pretty, like you were back in the 40's or something.

These are Australian Akubra hats, not fancy yanky doodle dandy hats.

They were born to be worn

2. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

Akubras are tough hats, but we do not generally treat each other in such a manner here. Please reread the House Rules regarding civility, language and attitude.

But to answer the small bit of actual useful content, I agree with 3 points.

1. All of mine are working Akubras which protect me in all sorts of weather and situations. I do not baby them. They can take rough wear. I do not remove them in bad weather as they exist to protect me.

2. I use the shower to shape my Akubras. Not full heat, but warm and it works pretty well.

3. The Cattleman is in need of some attention.

But before and after these, we part company in tone and content.

I see no binding rules for shaping an open crowned hat except that the wearer consider what would look best on his/her own head and with his/her own clothing and lifestyle. I see that you have strong views regarding the Campaign Hat. A well worded discussion at the Campaign Hats thread my be welcome. There might be something to what you said, but it is hard to puzzle out in the tone used. When I was in Australia and New Zealand, I saw that the hats were not really very uniform. Saw a young man using his as a pillow in an airport and another had his dangling behind him on a seat. Neither was a perfect crease. I doubt that anyone sent them back to the laundry over it either.

Contrast - We have generally politely suggested styles of hats for people; suggested crease types and referred people to guides for hat styles and shapes when something looks a bit off. Tools are another method of making a suggestion.

eg - The discussion of the previously creased tan Cattleman held possibilities. Sending someone a link to a straight sided dome form to re-block a hat with an old crease might be welcome. I had to get old creases out of some hats and used http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm to do it. Learned about the product and method from helpful and polite members here. Be prepared to order the size that will work best for you and consider whether you wish to remove the sweat band or keep it in place before ordering. They will speak with you on this and can do a custom dome as you specify. A few tips for getting the shape done might also be appreciated.

This is just an example of how we would politely guide friends to improving their hat creasing abilities over time and in pleasant company. A quick search for the Jimmy The Lid written tutorial on Tear Drop Creases might help with one particular hat, but I see a shallow crease as a valid choice for some people. I know that I appreciate the help given to me by members here.

But you obviously have some odd ideas. We are not all from the USA and you come off pretty silly in making such comments. (Although the bulk of these hat styles - especially the CampDraft/Open Road - actually were made under license from Stetson, which was American...)

This is a very diverse group of people - which makes this so much more enjoyable.

You are also confused regarding some stereotypes. Courtesy has nothing to do with one's sexuality. Good manners should be a universal attitude among good company.

Hopefully, you will learn to converse more pleasantly - once the visit to the Time-Out Corner expires...

Fed

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Roanoke Jim, rogerstg, tommyK and 7 others like this.
  3. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

much better spoken than I would have EVER been patient enough to execute

well done

4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

We've cleaned up this thread considerably. Gentlemen, watch your language or take it elsewhere.

WJW, RJR, Rogera and 5 others like this.
  5. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

Where is the dang clappy smilie? Anyway, pretend one is here ==>

Well said.

RJR, rclark, Fed in a Fedora and 2 others like this.
  6. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

How about a nice picture of my Coolabah. Over six years old and looking darn near new. I don't baby it, just wear it. Light brushing keeps it looking nice. in fact all my Akubra's look fantastic even my Snowy River that is 15 years old now.
    [​IMG]
    Johnny

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Too bad John Cameron Swayze isn't available to do Akubra commercials.

8. konadog

konadog A-List Customer

LBM Akubra.jpg in response to the above, I'm ONLY interested in looking good in my Akubra.

ukay, RJR, miket5r and 13 others like this.
  9. tuco1963

tuco1963 One of the Regulars

johnnycanuk, konadog your akubras rock

10. tuco1963

tuco1963 One of the Regulars

ive just received my new stylemaster from ea and as always sam mench was of great help includeing selling me a $5 aussie bill to wear in my sweatband for a good luck charm .
    definatly need the acorn fawn one

11. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

now , I personally think they're great . May I say , Woomera ... Do it , ... Do it ... .

Zombie_61 likes this.
  12. WJW

WJW New in Town

The

Michael R. likes this.
  13. WJW

WJW New in Town

Great pic Johnny especially with the beard

Michael R. likes this.
  14. Preacher Man

Preacher Man A-List Customer

Johnny that's a great looking Coolabah! Tell me about your hatband, looks good too!

15. Eliesti

Eliesti A-List Customer

I'm in the market for a summer straw. Anyone have both the Zephyr and the Balmoral? They appear to be the same exact hat except for color, type of straw (synthetic v. hemp), and venting. Would anyone recommend one over the other and comment on why?

There does not seem to be much commentary on here regarding either hat and especially with regard to one v. the other.

16. RJR

RJR

Coolabah is one of my favorites as well.

17. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

That's the genuine crocodile hat band they come with .

18. johnnycanuck

Yup Michael R. is right. That's the band that comes with the hat. Main reason I got that hat over all the other ones with the same brim width. Thanks for all the complements.
    Johnny

Bob Roberts and Michael R. like this.
  19. Preacher Man

Preacher Man A-List Customer

Thanks Michael and Johnny for reminding me of that! Ha! The Coolabah is one fine looking hat!

20. johnnycanuck

If you like that I will try to get a head shot of my Akubra Croc in the next few days. The old style with the pork pie crown.
    Johnny