Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

GGlep

New in Town
Just received my first hat--a Silver Belly Campdraft. What a great hat! This being my first hat, I was going to go for something a little smaller, like the Stylemaster. I'm glad I went with the SBCD.

Tried bashing, and am happy with the diamond crease, but can't get the sides to pinch very well. Any suggestions on this? Also, it's tricky getting the front to stay down; it wants to snap up. Here are a few photos:

IMG_20160406_185356209_TOP_zpsiljbtnvl.jpg.html

IMG_20160406_185356209_TOP_zpsiljbtnvl.jpg.html

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Looks good
Hit it with a little steam to heat it or wet it down a bit with a spray bottle to soften the felt
It will shape easily like putty in your hands and dry as you leave it
Congrats on a great hat

If you choose to wet the hat with water be sure it does not dry near a heat source

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Nice hat GGlep - congratulations!

It's interesting that the Silverbelly shade looks a bit different in the two photos you posted. Is that just a result of the camera, or does it really look different in different lighting conditions.?

On another front, I wore my Angler out in the rain for a couple of hours the other day, and I'm not sure I fully appreciated it until then. There were times I didn't even realize it was still raining until I took the hat off for a second. Much better than an umbrella!

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Straight_Sided_Dome.htm
Just received my first hat--a Silver Belly Campdraft. What a great hat! This being my first hat, I was going to go for something a little smaller, like the Stylemaster. I'm glad I went with the SBCD.

Tried bashing, and am happy with the diamond crease, but can't get the sides to pinch very well. Any suggestions on this?

I have one and it is a great hat.

I would be happier with the CD too. Good choice.

As to the crease, I cheat. I take a bit of nylon rope of a diameter that fits the look desired and I use that to help me fix the crease. Gets the crease a bit more uniform and seems to help set it evenly and it holds better during the shaping process.
IMG_5045Guide_zps224f491e.jpg

Here is my own SBCD done in the manner described:

Fed

Last edited:

safetyfast

One of the Regulars

As to the crease, I cheat. I take a bit of nylon rope of a diameter that fits the look desired and I use that to help me fix the crease. Gets the crease a bit more uniform and seems to help set it evenly and it holds better during the shaping process.

Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Fed
I'm having trouble visualizing how you use the nylon rope.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I'm having trouble visualizing how you use the nylon rope.

I make an initial crease and set the rope into it to press it more firmly into the felt. It also curves nicely to form some detail. I have used this in making some items out of wet leather and thought it might be helpful in creasing hats.

Might just be something that only works for me, but I do like it. YMMV

Fed

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I make an initial crease and set the rope into it to press it more firmly into the felt. It also curves nicely to form some detail. I have used this in making some items out of wet leather and thought it might be helpful in creasing hats.

Might just be something that only works for me, but I do like it. YMMV

Fed

Can you post a crease you have done this way?

I also think this would make a great video for the monster bash thread

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Fed
I like the "rope" technique.

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Fed
That's a good idea!
and good looking hat!

Sam has added a couple of new models to his Everythingaustralian site.
Kentucky Rancher

Maybe they hit someone's sweet spot. Check'm out.

,,,Mike in Canada

I saw that Rancher a couple of months ago, I think. I like the brim curl on that, though I'd probably re-work the crown out of the cattleman. Sorry Bama!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto