Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I've done my homework. ;) I have two Hamptons--Cedar Brown, and Black because Hats Direct had a sale--and they immediately became my second favorite Akubra's (the Fed IV still holds the title). I'm still deciding which will be my next when the vendors south of the equator start shipping internationally again without padding the cost.

I've not had the Grey Hampton long and I have to say, same as you it's quickly becoming a favorite. I'm really thinking about grabbing a Fed IV, seems it's almost (or should be lol) a requirement of Akubra owners on this forum hehehe. I'm thinking about it in the Dark Brown as I don't have any darker brown hats currently (besides leather/hide lids). The Fed sure seems to be enjoyed by quite a few folks about here.

Hey has anybody got the Fed in the dark brown and another Akubra in acorn or regency etc they could place side by side each other and take a pic for me please so I can gauge how much darker it is?

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’ve posted this on the Ask a question, get an answer thread, but I have to make a decision pretty quickly so posting here, too.
This Akubra popped up on a local auction site for $35 or so, and no one seems interested. No vents, raw brim, the leather band (different from the brand new ones I checked) and it being unlined make me think it’s a Snowy River. Can anyone confirm?
F2956344-9573-45C7-B2B2-91F510036156.jpeg

AA913B6B-371C-41A3-B027-CE17209E0654.jpeg
ADFBF8A8-FBDE-4F62-AC48-7C9ABE1A0C8F.jpeg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You double posted so I will double post. :p
Yes an older snowy River. I have one new from 2002-2003 ish and it has a newer band then that one. So very nice hat pre 2000. You used to be able to buy Akubra hats that people bought on vacation, threw in the closet when they got home, Forgot about, found, then listed on e-bay for a few bucks. This looks like a prime example of just that. A little moisturizer on the sweat band. Get it wet to re shape it. It will be good as new. Just be aware, a hat that old may have shrunk so you may need to give it a bit of stretching to get it back to a 60.
Johnny

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I’ve posted this on the Ask a question, get an answer thread, but I have to make a decision pretty quickly so posting here, too.
This Akubra popped up on a local auction site for $35 or so, and no one seems interested. No vents, raw brim, the leather band (different from the brand new ones I checked) and it being unlined make me think it’s a Snowy River. Can anyone confirm?
View attachment 272425
View attachment 272426 View attachment 272427

I noticed you already got an answer in the other thread but yes, it's a original Snowy River, I had exact same one bought in the late 80's.

edit: and beaten to it above lol...

The Shoe

One Too Many
You double posted so I will double post. :p
Yes an older snowy River. I have one new from 2002-2003 ish and it has a newer band then that one. So very nice hat pre 2000. You used to be able to buy Akubra hats that people bought on vacation, threw in the closet when they got home, Forgot about, found, then listed on e-bay for a few bucks. This looks like a prime example of just that. A little moisturizer on the sweat band. Get it wet to re shape it. It will be good as new. Just be aware, a hat that old may have shrunk so you may need to give it a bit of stretching to get it back to a 60.
Johnny

I noticed you already got an answer in the other thread but yes, it's a original Snowy River, I had exact same one bought in the late 80's.

edit: and beaten to it above lol...

Thanks guys.
I passed on the hat as it was very close to the end of the auction. There were no bids, so I figured it would be put straight back up (possibly slightly cheaper) and I would still have the chance to get it.
Well, it’s up for sale again, but at the same price. I’m not supposed to be buying any more hats this year...but neither was my wife and she just got one...and, we’ll, it’s a good deal. The auction ends tomorrow. I suspect it might have my name on it!

The brown is great and that cattleman looks very nice on a CD. I may have to pop one into mine.

Thanks. If you find the photos of Ed’s you’ll re-crease yours today. ;)
I’m not usually a big fan of the cattleman’s crease, but this hat wanted it and I don’t like having them all shaped the same. I removed the cattleman’s crease from my taupe fawn CD and went with a simple center crease.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Just a heads up FYI if Akubra lovers didn't have it already but the hard cover coffee table book "Akubra, handcrafted history" that normally sell's for $70-$100 can be bought from Akubra currently for only $20!

Wife snagged free postage even for us, it weighs like 2-3kg, heavy as for a book. Looky what my better half just gifted me with a smooch.

Yeppers, it came in other packaging also lol, but that is a large felt bag with leather straps. I reckon I could make a hat outta that bag :rolleyes:

iKxFc65.jpg

b4aSwCy.jpg

nP6AW4p.jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up FYI if Akubra lovers didn't have it already but the hard cover coffee table book "Akubra, handcrafted history" that normally sell's for $70-$100 can be bought from Akubra currently for only $20!

Wife snagged free postage even for us, it weighs like 2-3kg, heavy as for a book. Looky what my better half just gifted me with a smooch.

Yeppers, it came in other packaging also lol, but that is a large felt bag with leather straps. I reckon I could make a hat outta that bag :rolleyes:

iKxFc65.jpg

b4aSwCy.jpg

nP6AW4p.jpg

I just checked: $20 for the book and $50 shipping to California. :(
Thanks for the heads up all the same.

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Well, after searching through here I’ve decided that I’m gonna pull the trigger on an Akubra for my next hat. I already have a Strat Premier in Cornhill, and have been debating on going for a Campdraft in Silverbelly, or a Fed IV in Heritage Fawn or Moonstone.

What would be the most versatile? My Winter Coats are Black, and would like something to fall in lines with that, but also the more casual side for spring/fall (earth tones) or saw to heck with it and buy one of each.

Also, is there any discernible difference between the Heritage Felt vs the Imperiale? (I know the sweat is one). Also, was kind of leaning towards the Campdraft Deluxe seeing as it has been discontinued with limited stock left.

I appreciate any pointers!

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Me either. For $52 it had better come with a free hat. :D

But as I said it comes with enough felt in that bag to make a hat....Or if your crazy enough and had a few drinks it already is a hat..lol

Even comes pre-shaped with a center crease, not sure how the wind cords work around my ears...seems a little loose

WWhQhYZ.jpg
McJQ9NU.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto