Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Well, happy to say I’m an official Akubra owner. Friday last week I went ahead and ordered a Campdraft Deluxe in SB from the Hattery. It shipped Sunday, and arrived today. Talk about quick! I’m a 23 to 23-1/8”, so went ahead and ordered a 59cm. Seeing as I’ve read that the sweat on these tend to shrink, I figured it would be the best bet. Anyways, it is much easier to bash than my Strat Premier, and feels like it will hold well in crap weather. Only bit is the Brim is a bit stiff to “snap”, but of course “new hat”

Time to break this bad boy in. I’ll have to order a Fed IV in Moonstone now. I’m absolutely pleased with the Campdraft.

176F8652-C8FF-4912-A3D8-F96DBB899B0A.jpeg
32A78518-70E7-4764-9875-BDC1029A1EA5.jpeg
396F0DAE-7242-4872-B754-84FFEFC340ED.jpeg

new2hats

A-List Customer
Does anyone know the weights of the hats? Received a Moonstone Bushman, and it is 188 grams, which I think is like 6.6 ounces. Anyone take off the liner to see if it is lighter? Have not bashed it yet, like it open crown so far. Want to try a CD next, anyone know if it is lighter or same weight? Thanks

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know the weights of the hats? Received a Moonstone Bushman, and it is 188 grams, which I think is like 6.6 ounces. Anyone take off the liner to see if it is lighter? Have not bashed it yet, like it open crown so far. Want to try a CD next, anyone know if it is lighter or same weight? Thanks

I can weigh a CampDraft if you like, Deluxe or Imperial?

Edit: My imperial CD weighs 170 grams and the deluxe CD (heritage) 198 grams. So somewhere around your bushman (just under/over). Though it seems there is variations in thickness across Akubra's range so there may also be some variations in weights as well YMMV. But gives you an indication I guess.

Last edited:

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I’d personally start with BG for a more “casual” color and bit universal for wear. If ya dig it enough, spring on a Moonstone!
I would add that Moonstone is only available in the Campdraft Deluxe (Heritage felt), which has been discontinued. Bluegrass Green is available in the Camp Draft (Imperial felt) which as far as we know, will continue in production.

Folks may want to snatch-up the Campdraft Deluxe in Moonstone and Cedar Brown while they can. I would guess that when the supplies of CDDs are gone, we'll be left with the standard CD in Imperial colors: Silver Belly, Bluegrass Green and Taupe Fawn. Those aren't bad colors mind you, but I love my Moonstone and Cedar Brown CDDs.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I can weigh a CampDraft if you like, Deluxe or Imperial?

Edit: My imperial CD weighs 170 grams and the deluxe CD (heritage) 198 grams. So somewhere around your bushman (just under/over). Though it seems there is variations in thickness across Akubra's range so there may also be some variations in weights as well YMMV. But gives you an indication I guess.

Thanks so much for weighing them. I do like my hats at 130-140 g if able. Guess I have been used to those. Have some Stetson Playboys and Champ Featherweights that are super light. I can wear the heavier hats, just takes a little getting used to. Not sure how much the silk liner weighs, may remove and compare. I have had an Akubra Kiandra back in the day before I sold it; it was such a great hat and the weight didn't bother me so much.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I would add that Moonstone is only available in the Campdraft Deluxe (Heritage felt), which has been discontinued. Bluegrass Green is available in the Camp Draft (Imperial felt) which as far as we know, will continue in production.

Folks may want to snatch-up the Campdraft Deluxe in Moonstone and Cedar Brown while they can. I would guess that when the supplies of CDDs are gone, we'll be left with the standard CD in Imperial colors: Silver Belly, Bluegrass Green and Taupe Fawn. Those aren't bad colors mind you, but I love my Moonstone and Cedar Brown CDDs.

I must confess that I do have some CD Heritage hats on the way. The last ones in Moonstone and Cedar Brown. The SB is on the way, in flight as we speak. I do like the BG, it looks to me like Olive Drab, but I'm color-blind lol (red/blue). We'll see, don't want to overdo it.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for weighing them. I do like my hats at 130-140 g if able. Guess I have been used to those. Have some Stetson Playboys and Champ Featherweights that are super light. I can wear the heavier hats, just takes a little getting used to. Not sure how much the silk liner weighs, may remove and compare. I have had an Akubra Kiandra back in the day before I sold it; it was such a great hat and the weight didn't bother me so much.

I've modded these so they have larger ribbons and that wolf pin, so you could take some weight off them but it wouldn't be much. I would think 6 to maybe 10 grams difference maybe, but gives you an idea anyways.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got a package from the Hatsdirect team. Riverina-- Light Sand. Wow this thing is big. Keep banging into things LOL. But is going to be great for keeping sun off. I also picked up an Avalon in Tempest which is this really cool blueish grey (much more blueish than Moonstone). I'll post that later or tomorrow. If they end up offering that color in other styles, might have to buy some more even though I said this last order was going to be my last LOL.

Ccv07uB.jpg
Great looking lid. Really suits you.
Wear it in good health
Johnny

Hey, lets face it but besides feeding our hat fetishes it's also helping retail & manufacturing industries around the globe in a very difficult time. In my mind it's all a win-win situation for all, that and you wont be 2nd guessing yourself for missing out on that hat that got away......
True. Also, I've been a member here on The Lounge for a while now and I'm reasonably familiar with how things work. I'm sincerely surprised I was the first to advise new2hats to get both because we're a bunch of enablers here and it's shocking that no one beat me to it. :D

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Just purchased an Akubra Federation IV in Tawny Fawn from HatsDirect in a size 59. Apparently my head has shrunk considerably from a 61 in the last 6 months. It only dawned on me one day when I wondered why all my hats fit loose...

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Just purchased an Akubra Federation IV in Tawny Fawn from HatsDirect in a size 59. Apparently my head has shrunk considerably from a 61 in the last 6 months. It only dawned on me one day when I wondered why all my hats fit loose...
Look forward to seeing it. The shipping should be exceptionally quick even coming from the land down under. I’ve been debating on either moonstone or tawny for my next purchase.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
View attachment 278349 View attachment 278348 Not sure how I feel about the tight diamond bash, but the more I work it, the softer it gets. Might leave it as is, see how it goes. I’m really enjoying the felt and feel of this campdraft.

Is it imperial or heritage felt may I ask, it looks fairly thick felt. It matters not, it's purely my curiosity and comparing against my own as I have two Silver-belly CampDraft's (one imperial the other heritage) but it looks like my SB heritage felt.

edit: Grats on the new Akubra lid btw, I'm enjoying the diamond on my Heritage SB (in my post about it I called it imperial but I had the two mixed up wrong way around).

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Is it imperial or heritage felt may I ask, it looks fairly thick felt. It matters not, it's purely my curiosity and comparing against my own as I have two Silver-belly CampDraft's (one imperial the other heritage) but it looks like my SB heritage felt.

edit: Grats on the new Akubra lid btw, I'm enjoying the diamond on my Heritage SB (in my post about it I called it imperial but I had the two mixed up wrong way around).

It’s the heritage quality. Figured I’d get one that was being discontinued before they were all gone.

Kind of wish I also did the moonstone, but oh well. The Hattery shows all out of stock besides SB. I may run to a fabric store and try my hand at making a ribbon while I have some down time this week. I was thinking maybe around 1 1/4” for the ribbon.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I thought seeing it as thick as it was it may have been heritage lol. You may have already seen/noticed I've changed the ribbons on all 3 of my CampDraft's or you may have not. Personal choice thing, I"m not real keen on small ribbons let alone bits that can flop/flap about.

My wife made the custom ribbons for mine, bless her....Oh we went out for dinner tonight (anniversary today) down onto the plains and into the suburbs and had Chinese, man I love satay beef... But that's a different story, I'm full of them lol and a few drinks tonight lol... Congrats on the new Akubra BTW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points