Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I stumbled across a 'relatively' new hattery (i.e. since last September) in Robertson, NSW (Aus):

The Highland Hattery

Lovely owner, Michelle, and a beautiful store. Also plenty of Akubra and Avenal hats. It has real atmosphere, much like The Hattery at Katoomba. Loved it!

I'll definitely be visiting again, and it's great to see another small hat store pop up.

Worth a stop in if you're travelling in the Southern Highlands.

There was a size 58 Akubra Kentucky Rancher in stock (sand).
Love the Kentucky Rancher. If you ever run across an Akubra Boss of the Plaines in size 59 let me know. So many Akubras out of production that I let get away.

RockyR

Familiar Face
I am about to take delivery of my second Fed IV (although Deluxe this time). The first of which has a tear drop.

For something different, I was considering getting a cattlemans crease (blasphemy, I'm sure).

Has anybody done this with a Fed IV, and if so, would you have any pictures? I've done it with my Squatter (pics below), but not sure if the Fed IV would also work with it...

[I've trawled the forum and found nothing other than a fleeting reference to a Lounger looking to put a type of 'modified Montana crease' in a Fed IV... but no pics]

20240330_184347.jpg

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
I am about to take delivery of my second Fed IV (although Deluxe this time). The first of which has a tear drop.

For something different, I was considering getting a cattlemans crease (blasphemy, I'm sure).

Has anybody done this with a Fed IV, and if so, would you have any pictures? I've done it with my Squatter (pics below), but not sure if the Fed IV would also work with it...

[I've trawled the forum and found nothing other than a fleeting reference to a Lounger looking to put a type of 'modified Montana crease' in a Fed IV... but no pics]

View attachment 617314
If you look at enough photos from the golden era you will see plenty of men wearing side dent creases on city hats. I think it was more of a 1920s and 30s style so that by the 40s and 50s it looks to be mostly older fellows sporting this style. Go for it!

Why not? Before it was a "Cattleman/Rancher" crease it was the crease of choice for bankers/businessmen and presidents.

wwi-wilson-111-sc-11761.jpg
5077674457_67849f8a66_b.jpg
images.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Lyndon-Johnson-Rolex-President.jpg
1716986155045.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Why not? Before it was a "Cattleman/Rancher" crease it was the crease of choice for bankers and presidents. View attachment 617337 View attachment 617338 View attachment 617339 View attachment 617340 View attachment 617346

And apparently TV police lieutenants. Ray Collins almost always wore side dents in Perry Mason (a heck of a great show for hats, btw).

IMG_2035.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg

@RockyR: Akubra’s deluxe felt is fairly forgiving. Try the side dents - if you don’t like them, change them to front dents. Easy.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars

RockyR

Familiar Face
So it would seem from the Hats Direct website, where they hint at things to come: "The Federation Hat Project is undergoing some exciting updates in 2024, to stay notified sign up below or follow us on our Instagram page."

You can sign up for their email updates at this link --https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-hattery-exclusives/products/federation-iv-deluxe-open-crown

New colours, perhaps? It's a winner, so they would have to keep the current colours too (surely)...

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
New owners meddling with the product line.

Let‘s hope they know what they are about.

As I understand it the Fed IV is a product of The Hattery. They designed it and order its production and sell it. Historically, I don’t believe Akubra had much to do with any of the Federation line beyond making them and putting their name on them.

However, 1) I could be wrong (I usually am) or 2) the new owners could indeed be ‘’meddling’ or 3) both of the above.

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
As I understand it the Fed IV is a product of The Hattery. They designed it and order its production and sell it. Historically, I don’t believe Akubra had much to do with any of the Federation line beyond making them and putting their name on them.

However, 1) I could be wrong (I usually am) or 2) the new owners could indeed be ‘’meddling’ or 3) both of the above.
Okay. I actually have no clue, and am just guessing.

Thanks for the information.

RockyR

Familiar Face
"New owners..." Ugh. That's rarely a positive sign.
Twiggy Forrest... purchased RM Williams too (from LVMH). Doing some 'curious' things and designs with RMs... there's mixed opinions about Twiggy taking the helm. Some good, some not so.

TheLostCowboy is right, The Hattery has the exclusive for the Fed IV and Akubra just makes them (I think it's a minimum of 30 hats and Akubra will make it to your preference). So I think it's more likely that The Hattery will be expanding the choices on offer.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Glad I got a pretty good stack of Akubras so no sticker shock here lol ( think Ive got 8)
Likewise. I have 6 felt, one hemp and one polypropylene. The Campdraft costs almost twice what I paid for it three years ago.
Still the best bang for the buck? I can’t see myself getting another unless I find some second hand bargains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom