Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Have been wearing my Akubra "R.M." all day today -- thought I'd post a couple photos here:

AkubraRM3.jpg

AkubraRM4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Don Vito said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good a place as any. I just wanted to thank you all for the suggestion to try the federation IV
Sadly, I think it's going to have to go back. I tried it on and think it's too large for my long, thin face, but I did enjoy the moment of receiving it and cracking open the packaging.

Don Vito,

I'm not sure what you've decided to do with your Fed. If you keep it, I would just 2nd what others have said. I would try a little bit deeper diamond or C shape to lower the crown just a little. Maybe sharpen up the front pinch and deepen the indentations. This might give it more angular features rather than round. Check out 3f's and Goose's bashes. Mine's a work in progress.

FedIV.jpg

Don Vito

New in Town
Chuck-
I decided it's a keeper. I bashed it last night, working with it for quite a while, so its now quite bash-full. I'll try to post some pics today if I can get around taking the photographs of it. I'm fairly pleased with my first....okay, several attempts to bash.

I have to say that once I shaped it and wore it around the house for a bit, it felt like I wasn't even wearing it.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Don Vito I'm glad you kept it. I have 6 Federation IVs and I understand your initial feelings. When I got my first one and put it on I nearly cried. I could stick my ears up in it and I looked like the village idiot with it on. BUT I did a lot of research here on FL and I started working on it. Steaming it, shaping the crown, working the pinch and side dents, flipping the brim down in the front, up at the back and curling the sides. When I was all done it looked nothing like before and it fit much better. A touch of that foam in the sweatband and the fit was perfect.

And remember, unless you put a really hard crease in you can always steam it back to the way it was and start again.

Now get some more pictures up so we can see how you're doing with!! :)

Don Vito

New in Town
Here are a few. I think I'll eventually try to get more curl on the sides and go with a deeper pinch up front, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

3593112732_2d737fcc19_m.jpg

3593112486_ed906aaa76_m.jpg

3592304937_060e0a5f93_m.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Nicely done Don Vito, nicely done. :eusa_clap

Your tugboat effect is really good (Goose would be proud) and your crown is nice too. If you want to smooth out some of the bumps in the crown steam it well (10 seconds) and smooth it with your fingers a few times.

As for the brim I think I little more swoop in the front will really help set it off. If it makes you feel any better when I started I had almost no swoop or curl in my brim - not so any more. Have fun with it :)

Don Vito

New in Town
Thank you. Who knew bashing could be so much fun...except of course the folks here at FL.

I'll give the smoothing out a shot. What do you mean by swoop in front? Do you mean like your avatar? (which by the way is a great looking hat.)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Don Vito said:
Thank you. Who knew bashing could be so much fun...except of course the folks here at FL.

I'll give the smoothing out a shot. What do you mean by swoop in front? Do you mean like your avatar? (which by the way is a great looking hat.)

Looks good! Personally, I think the bumps (wrinkles) give it some character. I like a crown when it looks like the owner bashed it without too much over thinking and it doesn't look like it was perfectly bashed on a bashing machine.

Glad to hear you are getting comfortable with it.

3F, Still looking forward to the carbon grey Fed photos. :D

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation IV in Carbon

Okay, just for Chuck (no one else even matters :D ) here is my Carbon Fed IV (black is here but not posted yet, probably tomorrow and then a comparison of all 5 maybe by the weekend). BTW, this was probably the hardest one to shoot and try and get the true colour of the hat. Carbon can be gray or black or carbon depending on the angle and lighting. I think I got it pretty close especially in the shot where I'm wearing it.

3593518566_47c688b6c3_b.jpg

3592713939_6a22b74247_b.jpg

3593519596_ba24f03e62_b.jpg

And my ever pale and pleasant mug once more...

3593506228_5071eccd97.jpg

Now what are ya gonna bug me about Chuck? :p

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
3593506228_5071eccd97.jpg

Now what are ya gonna bug me about Chuck? :p

Why...why, nothing 3F, you're doing just fine...:D

Okay...there is one more thing. If you could just purchase the carbon grey "Fedora" and photograph it next to the carbon grey Fed, I'm trying to choose between the two. :p Then that should be all I need...and this paddle game...and that's all I'll need.

The_Jerk.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
You are NOT getting the paddle game :p

Actually I was going to order the Fedora but decided against it at the time. And if I was going to get one, I'd probably get the Burnt Oak, so really, you're screwed on that one. Ask Goose though, he's got both hats :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Oh yeah...I gotta do that.
Today/tonight...Eagle Scout's Honor.

Right now, I'm going to go dig up another row in the yard for the wife's Victory Garden
:eusa_doh:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Fed IV brim size question

Question - do your Fed IV brim sizes measure out the same as what Hats Direct says they should be?

Just wondering because the dimensional brim on my tawny fawn measures out correctly (63x70mm), but my moonstone was cut shorter on the sides than it should have been (59x70mm).

Goose.

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
You are NOT getting the paddle game :p

Actually I was going to order the Fedora but decided against it at the time. And if I was going to get one, I'd probably get the Burnt Oak, so really, you're screwed on that one. Ask Goose though, he's got both hats :)
Oakie doke...here ya go. A Capricorn Grey, Sydney CHARCOAL, and Fed IV Carbon. I don't have a Carbon Sydney. That would be what is called the "Fedora" on the Hats Direct site (the Sydney is from David Morgan). ValEag has a Fedora Carbon I seem to recall. Haven't seen him around though. If you search for "Sydney" you will probably see it by itself.

The Sydney was my first Akubra. Given the choice between a Federation or Sydney, I'd choose the Fed. I prefer the non-taper of the Fed. But, to each his own.

554122338_t6SJA-M-1.jpg

Chuck Bobuck said:
You're gonna get your Capricorn muddy! :D
HA! Lesson learned. Wore my oil cloth Packer this time ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart