Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
554122338_t6SJA-M-1.jpg

Great line up, thanks! :)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation IV in Black

Okay so I've finally got around to posting the last of my Fed IVs. I've got all 5 colours now and Black is the last one to post. Also really tough to shoot. The black in conjunction with the felt makes it eat light. I mean this thing is really black. Black black. So black I think it's eating time cause my watch keeps losing time when I wear the hat. Like so black Hotblack Desiato would wear this hat. I guess I'm saying it's very black. Oh yeah, it shows every spec of dust or hair under the flashes, it's not so bad under regular lights.

3554628021_263304c181_b.jpg

3555437756_5f52daa89e_b.jpg

3555435174_637c1ab35e_b.jpg

This time I was in a mood when I did the self-portrait - long day at the office :)

3596555580_14d8d3d6db.jpg

So now I have one more set of Fed IV pictures to take, all five colours together for comparison as well as my observations about the differences between then - and there are differences. With any luck I'll have that done sometime on the weekend. No promises Chuck :)

Cross posted in the "New Hats" thread.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
Okay so I've finally got around to posting the last of my Fed IVs. I've got all 5 colours now and Black is the last one to post. Also really tough to shoot. The black in conjunction with the felt makes it eat light. I mean this thing is really black. Black black. So black I think it's eating time cause my watch keeps losing time when I wear the hat. Like so black Hotblack Desiato would wear this hat. I guess I'm saying it's very black. Oh yeah, it shows every spec of dust or hair under the flashes, it's not so bad under regular lights.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."
Nigel Tufnel (Guitarist/Spinal Tap)

Nigel_Tufnel.jpg

I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to insert that quote in a thread somewhere. Thanks!!! lol

Goose.

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
FFF and Goose, those are some tight pinches you've put on your FedIVs. I like that look on that hat - Nice work!
Thanks Chinaski :) The Tawny Fawn was the toughest to get just right for me (see next paragraph).

Mike K., you mentioned your Fed IV brim being a bit different in size than spec'ed out. My FIV Tawny Fawn has a bit of a higher crown than the others. So, when I telescoped it, the crown hump would stick out to the point where it bugged the poop outta me. Thus, I had to "spread out the C of the crown a bit more. ANYWAY, point being, there does seem to be some minor dimension variations within the same model of lids.

Hey Triple FFF...great news on your Fed IV hats all being in port. We need a picture of the fleet in formation for their inaugural Pass In Review sailing!!!

Impressed with your bash work. Your lines around the telescope/crown are perfect. Mine...a bit "rustic". Here's my Moonie and Dark Black to show ya what I mean jelly bean. HA HA!!! Get it? "Dark" Black? Couldn't resist. I crack myself up. :p lol

555346336_nPcA7-M-1.jpg
555347525_5oeZt-M-1.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Oh Goose...groan :)

Submission for Fleet Admiral approval coming in the next couple of days. Thanks for the complements on the creases, and if it makes you feel any better some of mine took ages of fiddling to get the way I wanted them. With that in mind I will confirm your statement - all though they are all Fed IVs each of them are a little different, some of them are very different. More about that when I post the comparison shots but I will say that my Carbon took about 2 days of mucking with to get it they way I wanted. Seriously it was the most contrary thing I ever had to deal with.

jpbales

Practically Family
Hey FurFeltFedora,
Great pics! :eusa_clap and great bashes as well, they give your hats a unique look, but not a crazy one- plus the dimensions seem to fit you right. :eusa_clap

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Federation IV - All 5 Colours

Okay, so I've finally got all five Federation IVs lined up in fleet formation waiting for approval from Admiral Goose :)

I've taken a number of shots from a number of different angles and tried to keep everything as consistent as possible so that the colours are represented accurately.

So there they are....

Straight on, L-R Tawny Fawn, Brown, Moonstone, Carbon, Black:

3599452784_3018a69f3b_b.jpg

Slight overhead to show the creases, note how they are all a little different despite the fact that I was doing them all the same way:

3599447118_176002b002_b.jpg

Straight on in a "V" pattern, L-R Carbon, Moonstone, Brown, Tawny Fawn, Black:

3599463046_7ba3d76dfe_b.jpg

Same but from slightly overhead:

3598654475_dd2c154d32_b.jpg

And two shots down the side, F-B Tawny Fawn, Brown, Moonstone, Carbon, Black:

3598642459_37eda6d699_b.jpg

3598640729_2822c6f530_b.jpg

Okay, now that you can see the colours allow me to bore you with observations on the Federation IV...

Despite the fact that they are all Federation IVs they are all a little different in texture as well as size. BTW, they are all size 60 as the Federation IVs are about 1/2 size smaller than listed. I'm a 59 LO so for me I use a dowel against the sweatband and some steam to make it LO and then two 3" strips of foam on the sides to get the fit I want. So here's my opinion on different Fed IVs in the order of most favourite to least:

Brown - Medium stiffness out of the box, after a couple of weeks of wearing it's butter soft (not vintage, but still really nice). Most versatile of all the colours (IMO). I've worn it to work, I've worn it with jeans, shirts, T-shirts, and even a hoodie. It looked good all the time. My "only one hat" hat.

Tawny Fawn - Medium to High stiffness out of the box, still fairly stiff. Seems to have a slightly taller crown than the others, and a little bit bigger overall (required an extra piece of foam at the back). A very good hat in the summer as it goes well with lighter clothes.

Moonstone - Very soft out of the box, getting softer all the time. Very versatile as well, but works better with slightly more dressy clothes than casual.

Carbon - Medium stiff out of the box, slowly getting softer. Incredibly difficult to crease. Don't ask why. I think the height is different from the others I have and it just didn't seem to want to go the way I wanted it to. Slightly more limited with what you can wear with it. Works better with darker clothes than lighter one.

Black - Medium stiff out of the box, got softer very quickly. Least versatile of all the hats. Goes well with something dressy or if you want to look threatening other than that, not so much works with it. Not for me anyway and not compared to the others.

Well I hope this helps folks out. When I first starting posting here a couple of months ago and didn't know jack I was trying to find a single post that had all the Fed IVs compared in it, so I hope I'm able to contribute to FL with this.

Anything else you want to know, just let me know.

Cross posted in the "I love the Fed IV" thread.

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Great photos 3F and Skipper Goose. They're going to be a fantastic reference. :eusa_clap Goose love the new avatar! :)
Hey, thanks Chuck for pic comment and about the avatar. I may keep that one for at least a day ;)

FurFeltFedora said:
Okay, so I've finally got all five Federation IVs lined up in fleet formation waiting for approval from Admiral Goose :)...

Despite the fact that they are all Federation IVs they are all a little different So here's my opinion on different Fed IVs in the order of most favourite to least:

Brown...
Tawny Fawn...
Moonstone...
Carbon...
Black...

"Approval" from me? You have to be kidding!!!

Triple F, you sunk my battleship. Not just the fantastic pictures, but also the perfect creasing. My Federation IV Tugboat Fleet pics, and hats themselves, are a scene out of "McHale's Navy" when compared to your nuclear navy. I am ok in stating that you have just assumed command ;) :eusa_clap

Interesting that your order of preference is pretty much the same as mine. I think my Tawny is going to knock the Moonstone out of my second place.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Goose you are too cool :)

I'm afraid you are still the Admiral of the Tugboat Fleet though, let's just say I'm Federation Field Marshall and we'll work from there - the oceans are still yours Sir :D

Tawny is definitely an under-rated colour, but once you start wearing it you just like it more and more and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart