Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

EggHead

Practically Family
Thanks Johnny, I did. They said as soon as they get it, they will email me. I was just wondering if rains or slow summer season is delaying production. From what EA said, rain did not affect them.

Last edited:

James71

A-List Customer
From what Ive been told, Akubra finds that the high temperatures at this time of the year are not conducive to making hats, so they close down in the hottest months of the year. Right now we are in a massive heat wave so I doubt they would be making anything.... This weather is only good for laying about in the shade drinking something cold...

EggHead

Practically Family
So similar to Panama hat making... They work only a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening when heat is not affecting straw weaving.

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Silverbelly Campdraft

PA080096.jpg

P9250050.jpg
I dig the P40 pin

warbird

One Too Many
Is silver grey similar to silverbelly, or an entirely different creature? Great looking Stylemaster, BinkieBaumont!

Randy

It depends entirely on the manufacturer. In general the modern Stetson as well as Akubra and several others have a silverselly that is quite tan in color, which a hint of silver. I have and old Adam which is in silverbelly and it is quite silver in color. For Akubra the gray is very gray and the silverbelly is tannish and I have never seen one that is ultra light silver such as my old Adam is in color.

theinterchange

One Too Many
It depends entirely on the manufacturer. In general the modern Stetson as well as Akubra and several others have a silverselly that is quite tan in color, which a hint of silver. I have and old Adam which is in silverbelly and it is quite silver in color. For Akubra the gray is very gray and the silverbelly is tannish and I have never seen one that is ultra light silver such as my old Adam is in color.

When I ordered my first Campdraft I found their silverbelly to be more yellow than I expected, making it quite unwearable with my skin tone as I looked sick while wearing it... not cool.

Randy

warbird

One Too Many
Yeah, not all colors look good on all people. Personally I like the tan silverbelly and the silver silverbelly. Resistol silverbelly is pretty silver in tone. Stetson and Akubra are not. This is nothing new either. These brands have made silverbelly for a long long time with the same tones. I don't know how they cam to call it silverbelly. That's why a place like this is so helpful. Anybody who reads on here a great deal before they order will know the Akubra sb is not very silver in tone. Sell it and try another brand or another color in same model. Some of it is just trial and error. Until you have worn a lot of hats it's hard to determine what colors, crown heights and brim widths work well for you.

I have come to assume that the word is meant to evoke the silver belly fur of a beaver, I guess the most valuable part.

The last tour we did of Winchester, they showed us a beaver belly pelt & the belly fur that they were doing exclusive runs of. They have a Natural beaver color but it is all beaver fur, not just the belly. The belly fur is a lot lighter. TRUE silver belly would be the undyed felt of only beaver belly fur which is much softer. Since this would be a blend of fur from different beavers I can see how the actual Silver Belly felt would have a varying degree of colors. I'm assuming each felter comes up with a color that they use to dye regular fur felt to reach their "Silver Belly" color. Akubra's happening to be on the tannish side where Resistol's seems to have more silver to it. My Knox 20 seems to be closer to Resistol's & as Coley stated, my Stetson is closer to Akubra's.
I did see a hat from that exclusive belly fur felt from Winchester & it is SWEET!

Hamletsghost

New in Town
:D I AM IN STYLEMASTER HEAVEN :D

Just got my new Mid-Grey Stylemaster from Everything Austrailian and it is a TREAT.
Perfection - and JUST what I wanted for a very special wedding my wife & I were attending this last weekend.
I recieved more compliments than I could have ever imagined.

I ordered this on 12th January and Sam had it in the hands of AusPost within 4 HOURS! :eusa_clap
THEN it left Melbourne within 12 hours - :D
After that I could not find out anything for 2 weeks. :confused:
My tracking number went blank for about 3 hours short of 14 days til it hit US Customs.
It DID make it on time for the wedding (3days to spare IN THE BLIZZARD!).
(Wife had even gotten me an Ebay special - as a backup - love that woman)
Sam & Ben could not have helped me more if they started trolling the Pacific to find it. They kept in constant contact - sent out tracers - commiserated - and they did everything humanly possible to find my wayward brim.
E/A has been my only source in Oz, and after all they did on this one - they will continue to be my source of fine goods from down under for a long time to come.
HATS OFF to Everything Australian for the BEST customer service and support I have ever recieved on any mail order ever. ;)

Hamletsghost :cool:

Last edited:

hottoddy

New in Town
Congrats. :eusa_clap I'd like to see some pics of your new mid-gray Stylemaster. Here's my new "limited edition" green one. It's by far my favorite hat (but I'm also new and don't have many).

5382304957_1c97814564.jpg

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Congrats. :eusa_clap I'd like to see some pics of your new mid-gray Stylemaster. Here's my new "limited edition" green one. It's by far my favorite hat (but I'm also new and don't have many).

5382304957_1c97814564.jpg

:D SWEET !
Absolutely stunning new lid - LOVE the green - I WANT ONE - Congratulations - :D

Limited Edition???
From where???
Big upcharge???
Enquiring minds want to know.

Hamletsghost :cool:

Heres a couple quick pics from last weekend - one with & one without topcoat:
theghost.jpg

thedude.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members