Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thanks guys. Yes, had the three month wait for both hats. The nice thing though when you pay up front is that it is almost like getting a hat for free when it eventually arrives.

Which must be why I spent hours reading the Akubra Campdraft thread today. Thinking of getting my first open crown. Thing is.....Imperial quality Bluegrass Green from EA or Heritage quality Silverbelly from HD? Both in stock. Decisions, decisions........

The bluegrass green is an interesting color. From the photos I've seen, it often looks a gray/green. And the price is certainly right.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Yes, this photo from T Rick in the 'HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign' thread has me almost convinced to go for the Bluegrass Green CD. Love the colour!

[URL=http://pix.sparky-s.ie/] [/URL]

Plus probably best not to try my first attempt at bashing on an expensive Heritage grade hat.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Yes, this photo from T Rick in the 'HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign' thread has me almost convinced to go for the Bluegrass Green CD. Love the colour!

[URL=http://pix.sparky-s.ie/] [/URL]

Plus probably best not to try my first attempt at bashing on an expensive Heritage grade hat.

I wonder if Akubra's willow green and bluegrass green are the same color? I haven't seen them side by side. I like earth tones, and I may never end up with a gray hat. My only concern with green would be looking like a leprechaun.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Andy, the Bluegrass Campdraft isn't so green that you feel you are going to a St Patrick's Day event. I wear mine a lot and find it to be very versatile.
Having said that, I intend to get a nice Silverbelly hat in Campdraft or Open Road style when I get the chance as well.

Here's my BG CD

D333874-L.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy, the Bluegrass Campdraft isn't so green that you feel you are going to a St Patrick's Day event. I wear mine a lot and find it to be very versatile.
Having said that, I intend to get a nice Silverbelly hat in Campdraft or Open Road style when I get the chance as well.

Here's my BG CD

D333874-L.jpg

Stunning photo, David.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Well after reading this thread and looking at the pics (many times), I ordered two Campdrafts yesterday. I couldn't make up my mind, so I ordered the Silverbelly and a Taupe Fawn. Pics coming in 5-10 days!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well after reading this thread and looking at the pics (many times), I ordered two Campdrafts yesterday. I couldn't make up my mind, so I ordered the Silverbelly and a Taupe Fawn. Pics coming in 5-10 days!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

THAT is how to buy hats! lol

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the Bluegrass Green but after checking with Jenny at HD yesterday, it looks like it's no longer a color the CD is stocked in, so to get one I'd have to do the fashionable"Aussie 90 day wait":) Here's what she responded to me about the CD yesterday:

Thanks for the enquiry.

In answer to your questions:

1. The overall crown height of the Campdraft (open crowned) is 15cm or 5 7/8 inches high.
2. The brim is 7.2cm or 2 7/8 inches around. The Campdraft does not have a dimensional cut brim.
3. We currently have the Campdraft in size 60 available in Silverbelly, Glen Grey and Taupe Fawn - ready for immediate shipping.

We have also just released the Campdraft Deluxe version in Silverbelly. It is made from the Heritage Grade Quality Felt. We also have stock of this hat in size 60 available for immediate dispatch.

Any other colours (as shown on the Akubra website) would need to be order via a Special Order, which takes between 60 - 90 days for delivery, as the hats are made to order by Akubra.

We look forward to receiving your order. Please do not hesitate to contact us again, if you any further questions.

Best regards,
Jenny Nethercote

So I guess I'll have to go with a Willow Green Stylemaster from John Helmer and a Taupe Fawn CD :)

Duper

Practically Family
The bluegrass green CD is in stock at everythingaustralian I think so you would have only the usual shipping time. Plus the CD and shipping are both less expensive at EA. I have dealt with Sam many times and he has treated me very well.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The bluegrass green CD is in stock at everythingaustralian I think so you would have only the usual shipping time. Plus the CD and shipping are both less expensive at EA. I have dealt with Sam many times and he has treated me very well.
I checked with them and your right, they still have the CD in the BG Green but not in all sizes. As far as shipping goes, they quoted me the same US$s as HD to Texas so thats a wash. He did say it will be a custom color now that it is not a production color of that model. I probably will go with the Fawn or SB color for that hat though. Again thanks. :)

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Lightning Ridge

I haven't seen much discussion of the Lightning Ridge. Every once in a while someone will post on the Banjo Paterson. Rarer on the Lawson. Nearly nothing on the Lightning Ridge. It looks like a really nice hat, and the sand color and three inch brim would make it wearable in warmer weather, though perhaps not July and August.

Anyone have one? Any thoughts?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen much discussion of the Lightning Ridge. Every once in a while someone will post on the Banjo Paterson. Rarer on the Lawson. Nearly nothing on the Lightning Ridge. It looks like a really nice hat, and the sand color and three inch brim would make it wearable in warmer weather, though perhaps not July and August.

Anyone have one? Any thoughts?

Like most of the Aussie Style of Akubra's it's not one of the "approved" Akubras here on the Lounge. :) I think it is a GOOD looking hat but it looks to no longer be a standard style as shown on Akubra's website. I believe it is a David Morgan exclusive, imported & distributed by him for the US market now. The Bluewater Group here in the US also sells it ( they get it from DM) http://www.kakadutrader.com/akubra_hatindex.html at a bit less I believe. I've not seen it listed on either EA or HD in Australia recently.
Myself, I like the Coober Pedy as sold by DM with the 3 1/ 4" brim which is bound and with the thin grossgrain ribbon. And it comes in that beautiful Moss Green :) They both have the same size of crown and are creased the same. Besides the Bushman, my two fave OZ "bush style" hats are the Cattleman and the Tablelands both with wide bound brims, ( I'm VERY partial to bound brims :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Lightning Ridge in Sand. I took a bunch of pics of it today because I'm going to place it in the Classifieds soon. I'll post some pics here, but here's an old headshot for now:

LightningRidgehat2.jpg

Love the hat, even though it's not the best looking on me. The Heritage felt has become extremely soft and smooth since I bought it last November. Those Heritage sweatbands are nice and wide (one of my favorite parts about the hat. Overall, it's a great lid, and I'd highly recommend if taper's not an issue.

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Like most of the Aussie Style of Akubra's it's not one of the "approved" Akubras here on the Lounge. :) I think it is a GOOD looking hat but it looks to no longer be a standard style as shown on Akubra's website. I believe it is a David Morgan exclusive, imported & distributed by him for the US market now. The Bluewater Group here in the US also sells it ( they get it from DM) http://www.kakadutrader.com/akubra_hatindex.html at a bit less I believe. I've not seen it listed on either EA or HD in Australia recently.
Myself, I like the Coober Pedy as sold by DM with the 3 1/ 4" brim which is bound and with the thin grossgrain ribbon. And it comes in that beautiful Moss Green :) They both have the same size of crown and are creased the same. Besides the Bushman, my two fave OZ "bush style" hats are the Cattleman and the Tablelands both with wide bound brims, ( I'm VERY partial to bound brims :)

Doyou have the Tablelands? I see it's offered in brown olive - a color I suspect you might enjoy.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I have a Lightning Ridge in Sand. I took a bunch of pics of it today because I'm going to place it in the Classifieds soon. I'll post some pics here, but here's an old headshot for now:

LightningRidgehat2.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Alexander. I'll be interested to see the other photos you post. The hat does look good on you, and I like the sand color. I can't understand why it isn't more popular.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Doyou have the Tablelands? I see it's offered in brown olive - a color I suspect you might enjoy.

Not yet, but after I get the Coober Pedy in Moss Green it would be next on my list ( in the Brown Olive which I think might be close to the Nulabor Tan of the Bushman). I checked around and Noggintops ( http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=27) carries the Lightning Ridge also and they are in the US so shipping is faster :)

Duper

Practically Family

I have a Tablelands. It is my most recent arrival. The colour is very chameleon like. It is truley brown olive. Sometimes the dark green really comes through and the next time you look it is a dark brown. Mine was ordered with a 70mm brim. I had an extended wait due to the modification, otherwise it is a stock item from Akubra and I believe and can be shipped quickly from the Aussie hat shops. I wore it today to my son's soccer practice and it got a decent drenching.

It is similar is styling to the Banjo Paterson, but it is my first unlined hat and also my first with the grommets in the crown for ventilation. Very stiff brim.

I hope to post pics soon.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have a Tablelands. It is my most recent arrival. The colour is very chameleon like. It is truley brown olive. Sometimes the dark green really comes through and the next time you look it is a dark brown. Mine was ordered with a 70mm brim. I had an extended wait due to the modification, otherwise it is a stock item from Akubra and I believe and can be shipped quickly from the Aussie hat shops. I wore it today to my son's soccer practice and it got a decent drenching.

It is similar is styling to the Banjo Paterson, but it is my first unlined hat and also my first with the grommets in the crown for ventilation. Very stiff brim.

I hope to post pics soon.
Why did you cut the brim down? That's 13mm shorter! Did you have the brim rebound?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider