Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
I had JJ Hat Center in NYC iron/reflange(sp?) my Stylemaster as I didn't like the snap brim and they didn't have anything in stock in my size that I could exchange it with. The hat came out pretty well, not perfect, but still nice. I told them to model the banjo paterson brim and this is what they came out with:

I'm going to order the Coober Pedy from EA sometime soon which is almost exactly a perfect hat for me.

javadave61

Practically Family
Finally. It came. My Dark Brown Fed IV. Now, I can finally stop acquiring for a while (I can pull that off, right?) and start enjoying.

a84193c6bad88fb1b4d1132be7485b6f.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I really do like my hats. I can't remember the last time I left the house without a lid on!
I really like the Akubras, I've got three Fed IVs (Brown, Fawn, Moonstone), two Campdrafts (a Moonstone sent in error but I kept it anyway and a Silverbelly), an Acorn Homburg and a cheap wool jaxon that gets used when cleaning the car or doing the gardening. I've got all my colours covered and at the moment I don't foresee that I'll be buying any more hats. Though, never say never:D

Hi! The Fed in Moonstone is my next hat. Would you mind posting some pics of it? Thx!

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
That's a nice looking hat, stratcat! Moonstone is a great gray shade. Although of all the hats you've posted recently, the fawn Fed IV stands out even more, IMHO.

Question for you Akubra guys who may have looked at the Angler: what do you think of the difference between the David Morgan version and the version the Australian vendors sell?

Oz: leather band, shark tooth, no chinstrap hook grommets

Morgan: Barramundi band, no shark tooth, grommets

Thanks!

stratcat

One of the Regulars
That's a nice looking hat, stratcat! Moonstone is a great gray shade. Although of all the hats you've posted recently, the fawn Fed IV stands out even more, IMHO.
Thanks, I think I agree with you at the moment, the fawn is a lovely colour, but there is something timeless and classy about a grey hat.

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I just bought an Akubra Stylemaster. Actually my wife spotted the little David Morgan ad in a magazine and showed it to me. $165 plus shipping. I went on line and got it from Everything Australian for considerable less. I expect it tomorrow and everyone says good things about Akubra. Even Delmonico was nearly as high at Morgan plus shipping.. Prices at Everything are in Aussie dollars, but I think they're less than .80 us. so I'm expecting less than $140 total.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Seems as if GregNYC's comment in the "How Many Hats Do You Own" thread is becoming more and more appropriate, because every time I think I've bought my last hat I find that I actually own one less than I *need*.

Great hat, Harv. I like the hat, and am finding that those eyelets are almost necessary when wearing a felt hat in the warmer months. A few months ago I probably wouldn't have looked twice at a hat with eyelets. Off to take a look at the EA site... :)

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I just yesterday received my Stylemaster by Akubra. Although it's my size, I find it the least tad looser than I like, but I think that'll come around. Quality looks good, inside and out and it feels good. My wife first spotted a little magazine ad by David Morgan but his price was $165 plus shipping. Being a little wiser than I used to be, I researched it on line. Delmonico was about $160 plus and others were in a similar price range. But I found Everything Australian. Their prices are all in Aussie Dollars and are export prices. Locals have to add on an additional 10%. I was just a little vague about translating Aussie into US, but in the end, including registered post and a $3.90 exchange fee from Barclay's, the total came to a whopping $109.30 US. The service was fast, the box and packing were impeccable and Sam (the owner?) included a note with contact info in case I had any questions.
So far I'm really pleased with the overall purchase. It looks very similar to The Adventurer above, but may not be as soft. I don't consider that a problem. Very well-made inside and out. As nice as, or maybe a little nicer than the Stetson Saxon I got a couple of years ago for a similar price. My wife says I look like a real private eye in this number. Any trenchcoats out there à bon marché ?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations, C.M., you found the secret door. I got my CD from Sam a few months back and love it (I'm wearing it as I type). The hat you received sounds like it's exactly the right size: after the first couple of wearings and you've gotten a bit of sweat into the band, it'll fit like a custom job.That's what everybody on the FL told me, and they were right on the money.

I just yesterday received my Stylemaster by Akubra. Although it's my size, I find it the least tad looser than I like, but I think that'll come around...
Tropicalbob is right--Akubra hats are known for their "shrink to fit" quality. Akubra knows perspiration causes their sweatbands to dehydrate slightly, which causes them to shrink a little, so they manufacture their hats with this in mind. Wear your hat, and before you know it it'll fit like a glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21