Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Taking a little hike to break in my brand new Leisure Time. This is a beautiful hat... just like my five other Akubras over the last 15 years!

phoneLeisureTimeSelfie.jpg

This was a steal for $99 (plus $15 shipping) from Everything Australian.

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Liked my Cattleman in Bran so much I ordered the Black. I am really digging these Akubras. I am already eyeballing the Angler as my next Akubra. I sure like not worrying about getting stuck anywhere in a driving thunderstorm with torrential rains. Already worn both Cattlemans out in downpours and my co-worker mentioned that only after a minute or so it looked dry.

Here it is in Black.

IMG_20180507_222123_635.jpg

IMG_20180511_163553_767.jpg

IMG_20180507_172927_421.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_191042_173.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 212

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Liked my Cattleman in Bran so much I ordered the Black. I am really digging these Akubras. I am already eyeballing the Angler as my next Akubra. I sure like not worrying about getting stuck anywhere in a driving thunderstorm with torrential rains. Already worn both Cattlemans out in downpours and my co-worker mentioned that only after a minute or so it looked dry.

Yeah, it is kinda fun to wear Akubras in the rain. (Says the guy who didn't wear one today despite heavy rain in the forecast.)

The black Cattleman looks good on you.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes the Snowy River started its life with a very curled brim. The sides litterally pointed to the sky. But with wearing it daily, going for walked in the rain, the brim relaxed. With that said I can curl them back up and have it looking like the new ones again with one soaking but I prefer the sun protection.

The Coolabah is not a Sandtone Fawn. If I recall it was bran. But they are very close in colour. In fact I think the Snowy River has been sunbleeched it’s a lot lighter then it was new. But that was 16-17 years ago now.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Yes the Snowy River started its life with a very curled brim. The sides litterally pointed to the sky. But with wearing it daily, going for walked in the rain, the brim relaxed. With that said I can curl them back up and have it looking like the new ones again with one soaking but I prefer the sun protection.

The Coolabah is not a Sandtone Fawn. If I recall it was bran. But they are very close in colour. In fact I think the Snowy River has been sunbleeched it’s a lot lighter then it was new. But that was 16-17 years ago now.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have a bran Coolabah and yours looks quite a bit darker in the photo. Must be the light.

I recently got a Cattleman in santone. I was a little worried that it might be too green for my taste, but it’s a pretty cool color.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. I have a bran Coolabah and yours looks quite a bit darker in the photo. Must be the light.

I recently got a Cattleman in santone. I was a little worried that it might be too green for my taste, but it’s a pretty cool color.

My coolabah isn’t as light as some I have seen posted here. Could have been the batch they produced. Looking at the Snowy River compared to the coolabah they almost look identical. However looking under the hat band my Snowy River is considerably lighter than it was brand new. So the colour will eventually bleach out from the sun. Over 15 years of regular use will do that I guess.
Johnny

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. But the Regency Fawn is a really tough color to get accurately. I've taken two more rounds of shots in different lighting, and it still looks more gray and less brown than it should. Here's another shot in full shade on a sunny day: my skintone and chambray shirt look right, but the hat and light gray wall behind are off.

LeisureTime2.jpg

It's the UK Belted Bush Jacket by What Price Glory. More like a heavy shirt than a jacket - unlined, sturdy cotton - but good protection from insect bites, brambles, etc. in warm conditions.

http://onlinemilitaria.com/products/1243-UK-Belted-Bush-Jackets-Khaki/

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I've noticed the same thing with my Leisure Time. The colors are very difficult to get true in a photograph.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Coloring variability with light variability is one of the things I love most about fur felt hats. Indeed, some exhibit this variation more than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk