Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I've always wanted something in that bran color buy it's pretty much the color any tanish Akubra will turn after a couple years of sun. They bleach fairly quickly in the summer sun.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Well if I could afford both lids there would be my excuse for getting both, lol. They are both similar yet different hats, both good quality and everyday usable hats.

Blue Mountains is center crease and the Cattleman a tear drop, I'd go hot weather work hat the Cattleman Bran colour and then back it up with the Bluegrasss Blue Mountains for warm weather work 'n play, lil dressier all rounder.

Looking at the Bluegrass colour, I really, really do like it. Well if I didn't talk you into both I think I just convinced myself I need a new lid in Bluegrass lol. Damn it!
The differences that I've noticed between the BM and the Cattleman are that the brim is larger on the BM, the bash, and the BM is lined. I don't know about the crown height. I prefer more of a center dent over the teardrop crease. I would almost actually prefer a full telescope crease over a teardrop.

Gosh that bluegrass BM is looking more appealing the more that I look at it. I want a work hat for the fall thru spring seasons when the temps aren't too hot, so liner/no liner makes no difference.

Temptation at its finest. Thanks all for the advice.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I've always wanted something in that bran color buy it's pretty much the color any tanish Akubra will turn after a couple years of sun. They bleach fairly quickly in the summer sun.
I'm really second guessing the bran. It's a color I really want, but the amount of dirt that it will be taking on may be more than I feel like keeping up with.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
another vote for hatsdirect.com. They are great. Shipping super fast if you choose the expedited version and only costs like an extra $7 or 8 more IIRC.

They're about to get a new style (well new to their site) called the Avalon. You can see on Akubras main site. And that has a really cool color called Tempest. More blue tone than the bluegrass green. I got one on hold for when they come in. More of a soft felt, sloppier brim style.

But I too want to get something in Bran. Was hoping I could do Snowy River, but they only have Sand which I think will be too light. I like the Cattleman (I have one in Santone), but I prefer the natural edge of the Snowy River for more unpolished look. I messed with my brim to give it a more broken in feel, but I think with the Cattleman, that rim will keep it too tidy for my liking.

I posted this on another thread, and I maybe recall seeing here previously on one of the many pages, but if anyone can do a side by side of the various Fawn colors, I'm sure that would be of great help to many of us. I've got Acorn, Regency, and Tawny. Was wondering where Taupe fits in the scale. I don't think it's as light as I want, so I think Bran is the way to go. I also heard Silverbelly is more light tan than "silver" per se. So anecdotally from what I'm able to piece together seems like:

Order of light to dark:
Sand
Silver Belly
Bran
Tawny
Acorn
Regency

Santone fits in their somewhere but has green hue, so didn't want to mess up the scale. Probably around the Tawny depth range, maybe slightly darker.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
another vote for hatsdirect.com. They are great. Shipping super fast if you choose the expedited version and only costs like an extra $7 or 8 more IIRC.

They're about to get a new style (well new to their site) called the Avalon. You can see on Akubras main site. And that has a really cool color called Tempest. More blue tone than the bluegrass green. I got one on hold for when they come in. More of a soft felt, sloppier brim style.

But I too want to get something in Bran. Was hoping I could do Snowy River, but they only have Sand which I think will be too light. I like the Cattleman (I have one in Santone), but I prefer the natural edge of the Snowy River for more unpolished look. I messed with my brim to give it a more broken in feel, but I think with the Cattleman, that rim will keep it too tidy for my liking.

I posted this on another thread, and I maybe recall seeing here previously on one of the many pages, but if anyone can do a side by side of the various Fawn colors, I'm sure that would be of great help to many of us. I've got Acorn, Regency, and Tawny. Was wondering where Taupe fits in the scale. I don't think it's as light as I want, so I think Bran is the way to go. I also heard Silverbelly is more light tan than "silver" per se. So anecdotally from what I'm able to piece together seems like:

Order of light to dark:
Sand
Silver Belly
Bran
Tawny
Acorn
Regency

Santone fits in their somewhere but has green hue, so didn't want to mess up the scale. Probably around the Tawny depth range, maybe slightly darker.
I have a heritage fawn Lightning Ridge (exclusive to DM) that fits between taupe and regency imo.

That tempest color is definitely interesting. It seems like a dark version of glen gray, and very similar to medium gray.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Here is a photo I found from an older post on another thread showing some of Akubra's colors. I think it helps put the different fawn colors into perspective.
88499-7a59d4106233be59ef1de28d4e676402.jpg

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I had a Snowy River for a short while. The crown is too tapered for my liking and after some rain and wear, it tapered a slight bit more which was way too much taper at that point.

Royce Bloom

New in Town
According to Hats Direct, Akubra has discontinued about a dozen lines including prominent models like the Squatter, Campdraft Deluxe, Stockman, etc.

So if you’re thinking about getting an Akubra, it’s probably a good idea to see if the model is going to be around or already sold out.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Good suggestion, Royce, thank you. Is this information posted somewhere (I'm interested in which specific ones are being discontinued), or did you find this out iin a conversation? Being a size 62, my hats usually have to be custom ordered anyway, so I'm probably out of luck already.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Royce Bloom

New in Town
There’s no formal announcement that I’m aware of, but I haven’t looked. I was windowshopping on the webpage and noticed some Really low prices - every model I clicked on had “Discontinued Line” in orange and they’re clearing them out.

I’m stunned they’ve discontinued the Squatter. That’s the original Akubra.

Good suggestion, Royce, thank you. Is this information posted somewhere (I'm interested in which specific ones are being discontinued), or did you find this out iin a conversation? Being a size 62, my hats usually have to be custom ordered anyway, so I'm probably out of luck already.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Gobi

One of the Regulars
Wlell that's more depressing news. I'd love a Campdraft deluxe in cedar brown but I just can't spend $$ on another hat right now. Dang it!

Thanks for the heads-up!

They had the Campdraft Deluxe in Cedar Brown. I just placed my order for a size 62.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
They had the Campdraft Deluxe in Cedar Brown. I just placed my order for a size 62.

Thanks, Brent. I saw that too, and I'm sorely tempted, but I have a brown RM Williams Akubra that I like a lot which is almost identical to this hat. That's an awful good price on the Heritage grade, though... I'm trying to decide if the felt upgrade is worth the price, since they won't be making any more. :confused:

Thanks, Brent. I saw that too, and I'm sorely tempted, but I have a brown RM Williams Akubra that I like a lot which is almost identical to this hat. That's an awful good price on the Heritage grade, though... I'm trying to decide if the felt upgrade is worth the price, since they won't be making any more. :confused:

If I already had a brown RM Williams or similar hat I wouldn’t have bought the Cedar Campdraft. I’m trying to limit my hat collecting and I don’t need every small variation of every hat. I’m also pretty content with the Imperial grade felt, but if the heritage is on sale and if it’s in a color I want and if it’s available in size 62...who am I to argue with the fates?

...I’m stunned they’ve discontinued the Squatter. That’s the original Akubra.
That is surprising, but it might be only a temporary production stop because they aren't selling a lot of Squatters at the moment and need to focus on making more of the hats that are selling and keeping the lights on. If I'm right, the Plainsman and Stockman are more surprising to me because they're "work" hats with wide(ish) brims, but I suppose Akubra has enough hats with wide brims to go around.

Royce Bloom

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran